The end of the enclosed shopping mall...captialism at it's best......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yes....it used to be great to do all of your shopping inside a great big mall.....everything you needed right there, food, clothes, and no heat, no extreme cold, and places to relax during your shopping...that weren't your car.....

Then....capitalism advanced society....and things changed......

The Decline Of The Shopping Mall A Capitalist Story The Daily Caller

The mall reigned supreme until a very capitalist thing happened: superior products arrived and began to outcompete it.

The mall itself is an inefficient system. There is a fair amount of common space – space that cannot be rented, but has to be heated or cooled and maintained. Non-leasable space is a disaster in real estate. It didn’t take long before malls started stuffing their hallways with Piercing Pagodas and advertising – but you can only fill a portion of that dead space.

As energy and land costs rose, new retailing options became more attractive. Open-air “power” strip centers had far less non-leasable space and sidewalks that don’t have to be heated, just power-washed with a hose once a day. Even so-called “lifestyle” centers with more elaborate landscaping and outdoor features are cheaper to maintain than a mall.

The retail landscape has also changed since the malls’ heyday. Big box retail chains, like Best Buy, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Staples put pressure on smaller specialty retailers. Non-mall retailers like Wal-Mart, Target and Kohl’s cut into the sales of classic mall stalwarts like Macy’s and Penney’s. Sears is a dead man walking. Large bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders wiped out mall staples like Waldenbooks, before being crushed by internet retail.

And, speaking of the internet, Amazon and other internet vendors have grabbed an increasing share of the retail pie. Mall retailers have responded by moving their own sales online and closing physical stores. Shopping by click has knocked brick and mortar stores for a loop.

Capitalism works everytime people leave it alone....then the politicians come along and start to use the government to reward friends and punish enemies......

Then they blame capitalism..........

I haven't been to a mall in years...not since the bookstores moved out....and now...Amazon and the kindle do the trick........and then there is Walmart for most of the rest.....

I miss browsing the aisles for new books....but having an entire collection of books on a devise that takes up no space and can download new books.....just awesome......

We have an outdoor mall here now and I love it.

Plus...the outdoor malls atract FAR less mobs of thugs and lowlifes. Thats a huge plus.

The indoor malls were doomed just as much by the hordes of thugs that take over on friday and saturday nights.

Plus...the outdoor malls atract FAR less mobs of thugs and lowlifes. Thats a huge plus.

The indoor malls were doomed just as much by the hordes of thugs that take over on friday and saturday nights.

That's the answer to what killed the mall. I don't go to malls. Malls are thug shopping centers for victims and the occasional gang fight. Malls are pens where criminals get to shoot victims in cages. The mob of 500 or 900 rampaging isn't the best advertising for enclosed shopping.

Better to shop on line and let the delivery man take the risk.

Yes....it used to be great to do all of your shopping inside a great big mall.....everything you needed right there, food, clothes, and no heat, no extreme cold, and places to relax during your shopping...that weren't your car.....

Used to be that people took the bus downtown. Then stores moved to the suburbs ...

That's the answer to what killed the mall. I don't go to malls. Malls are thug shopping centers for victims and the occasional gang fight. Malls are pens where criminals get to shoot victims in cages. The mob of 500 or 900 rampaging isn't the best advertising for enclosed shopping.

Its a wonder some of you make it out from under mommy's bed.

:rolleyes:

Both our local malls are doing so well they both recently underwent some major facelifts

What mall developers always feared was the power the magnet chains had. All the other stores depended on a Sears or Wards or JC Pennys to draw in shoppers. Now those magnets are going under thanks to online shopping, leaving the malls without the drawing card. If that's considered progress I don't agree.

Think of the jobs lost and the quality of the merchandise you could look over before you bought it. Now you take the online retailer's word that the product is the same thing as the picture of it. I buy at Amazon too because it's so easy and they take back anything you don't like....even computer software. Downtown here in Phoenix was hot sidewalks, no parking, and in and out of air conditioning which isn't healthy. On that front, the malls were progress..

Last edited:
I haven't been to a mall in years...not since the bookstores moved out....and now...Amazon and the kindle do the trick........and then there is Walmart for most of the rest.....

I miss browsing the aisles for new books....but having an entire collection of books on a devise that takes up no space and can download new books.....just awesome......
I go to walmart for almost everything.

If walmart does not have it, Amazon will put it on my front porch.

I cannot remember the last time I entered a mall.

I like the outdoor malls.
Nice enough to keep out the riff raff with good bars and restaurants.

Upscale Shopping Dining Entertainment in Katy TX LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch

This one's right down the road from us.
I got busted for speeding in Katy, and throw in jail down in Rosenberg, back in the day.

I was fuckin' trippin'!!!

Cops weren't so suspicious then, they missed three joints in the glovebox and five pounds of weed behind the seat.

Yet some people will tell you there is no God, and that the Lord Jesus Christ does not personally watch out for me!

I got busted for speeding in Katy, and throw in jail down in Rosenberg, back in the day.

Cops weren't so suspicious then, they missed three joints in the glovebox and five pounds of weed behind the seat.

Yet some people will tell you there is no God, and that the Lord Jesus Christ does not personally watch out for me!

Damn that is lucky!!
And I bet I knew the cop that pulled you over in Katy...:eusa_whistle:

Damn that is lucky!!
This was 45 years ago.

I should have been at the Traffic concert in SA.

Damn that is lucky!!
This was 45 years ago.

I should have been at the Traffic concert in SA.

Well I probably didnt know em then. I hadn't managed to get into that much trouble at five.

Well I probably didnt know em then. I hadn't managed to get into that much trouble at five.

:lol: I punched my first victim at age 5....claimed my nap rug was his at kindergarten...mine had a secret piece of red ribbon attached he didn't know about...blindsided him and he went down for the count....I would have been sent home but there was nobody to drive me. I finally got to walk to school when I was 6.

Last edited:

:lol: I punched my first victim at age 5....claimed my rug was his at kindergarten...mine had a secret piece of red ribbon attached he didn't know about...blindsided him and he went down for the count....I would have been sent home but there was nobody to drive me. I finally got to walk to school when I was 6.

Now days that would get you a criminal record at six.

This thread reminds me of the cry 40-50 years ago how the end was near for downtown shopping centers because of the suburban shopping malls.

Back then we told those who were sad and mad to face it, the era of downtown being the main shopping areas, was over.

Today those same large regional indoor malls are having to face facts, the era of the large indoor mall is over.

Today if it's not purchased online, it's smaller strip malls that have better visibility, are easier to park closer to, and that most cities have several of and therefore likely to be closer to most shoppers.

This thread reminds me of the cry 40-50 years ago how the end was near for downtown shopping centers because of the suburban shopping malls.

Back then we told those who were sad and mad to face it, the era of downtown being the main shopping areas, was over.

Today those same large regional indoor malls are having to face facts, the era of the large indoor mall is over.

Today if it's not purchased online, it's smaller strip malls that have better visibility, are easier to park closer to, and that most cities have several of and therefore likely to be closer to most shoppers.

Unless you enjoy walking around stores,I cant imagine why you wouldnt shop online.
Where else can you look at every model and every brand with in depth reviews of all of it?
And have it on it's way without leaving your seat.

Used to be that people took the bus downtown. Then stores moved to the suburbs ...

Its a wonder some of you make it out from under mommy's bed.

:rolleyes:

Stores that want to make a profit don't cater to people who can't afford cars

Ahhhhh the poor poor teenagers. Where are they going to loiter and meet each other now?

Oh yeah, on-line, they do that there now too. And since it's not in public, if they want, they can take off their clothes for each other now too.

Ahhhhh the poor poor teenagers. Where are they going to loiter and meet each other now?

Oh yeah, on-line, they do that there now too. And since it's not in public, if they want, they can take off their clothes for each other now too.

That hasn't changed....back in early 60's after school we met at a drugstore soda fountain. I can still remember the waitress that had to deal with us....poor thing. :lol:

Forum List

Back