"The end of the Dr. Strangelove world of mutual annihilation"

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Will Obama End the Nuclear Era? - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

Today, Obama took a big step toward his goal of locking down all vulnerable nuclear materials. In a document to be released later Tuesday, the final communiqué of the president’s 47-nation nuclear summit will commit all those countries to securing their nuclear material within four years. The Washington Post obtained a draft of the final plan, and the paper reports that the document details 12 obligations of all 47 attending nations and a work plan that encourages investing in nuclear-security measures. "Our objective is clear,” the statement says: “to ensure that terrorists never gain access to plutonium or highly enriched uranium—the essential ingredients of a nuclear weapon.”

The Daily Beast's Joe Cirincione says we're witnessing the end of the Dr. Strangelove world of mutual annihilation.

There are times when you can feel the hinge of history moving. This is one of them.

This week, heads of state fly from Beijing, Moscow, London, Brasilia, Islamabad, Ankara, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, and dozens of other capitals for the largest summit of world leaders called for by a president since the founding of the United Nations. Why?

The short answer is to stop nuclear terrorism. The goal is to forge a new global plan to stop al Qaeda or any other terror group from getting the one part of a nuclear weapon they cannot make themselves: the uranium and plutonium cores.

There is more at the summit than pieces of paper. We may be witnessing the creation of a new global nuclear-security agenda.

On day one of the nuclear summit, Ukraine committed to getting rid of its weapons-grade uranium by 2012—something the U.S. has been seeking for more than a decade. It is expected that countries will leave the summit sharing President Obama’s goal of locking down all vulnerable nuclear materials within four years. The true test will be if countries firmly commit to that goal and build on the summit’s momentum for the years to come. The signs are trending positive.

The problem is simple. There is enough nuclear material in the world to make 120,000 more nuclear bombs. It is stored in buildings in 40 nations—from Argentina to Vietnam—and often guarded with little more than a chain link fence. Al Qaeda has declared it the duty of its followers to get a nuclear bomb. Over a dozen petty thieves have been caught trying—and those are the ones we know of.

Even modest attempts to reduce these arsenals by a few hundred weapons—as the U.S.-Russian agreement does—provoke hysteria. Paleo-conservatives denounce it as appeasement and weakness. Senators pile on demands for nuclear pork as the price of their vote for the treaty. Conservative commentators compare it to a schoolyard fight, seemingly unaware that the bully we built the weapons to defeat is long gone.

Domestically, Obama has the backing of a broad, bipartisan movement of centrist security leaders. He has taken their best ideas and created a comprehensive plan to reduce existing arsenals, secure all weapons materials, and prevent new nuclear-armed states.

Polls show that 84 percent of Americans would feel safer in a world where no one had nuclear weapons, including the United States. No one treaty, or speech, or review can make this shift. It requires multiple moves on several levels at once. It is three-dimensional chess. Together, however, the moves make a difference, says New America Foundation’s Jeffrey Lewis:

This is a fight that many administration political advisers are beginning to see as a winning issue for the president. Republicans will have to decide whether to join in the effort and share in the win or play the nuclear Neanderthals, frozen in a previous age.

Barack Obama is going to pull off something with other world leaders that Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton could not accomplish in their eight years in office each in only a year and a half. Congratulations Mr. President. :clap2:

Last edited:
What has O done to halt Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons? This Starwars Bar Scene is but a diversion of the public's mind from having done nothing in that regard. SecDef says Iran won't have a nuke in just months but in a year.

Building many more weapons than were needed to do the job had more to do with the sorvability of the retaliatory capacity than MAD.

What has O done to halt Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons? This Starwars Bar Scene is but a diversion of the public's Imind from having done nothing in that regard. SecDef says Iran won't have a nuke in just months but in a year.

Building many more weapons than were needed to do the job had more to do with the sorvability of the retaliatory capacity than MAD.

Missed my thread yesterday about Obama and Hu (China) talking about sanctions on Iran?

What has O done to halt Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons? This Starwars Bar Scene is but a diversion of the public's Imind from having done nothing in that regard. SecDef says Iran won't have a nuke in just months but in a year.

Missed my thread yesterday about Obama and Hu (China) talking about sanctions on Iran?

yeah because sanctions always work. oh wait.

No, not always. However, in the past, Russia and China have had Iran's back on this issue. China certainly does not, and I don't think Russia does either. Iran has no real huge allies in this fight any longer.

No, not always. However, in the past, Russia and China have had Iran's back on this issue. China certainly does not, and I don't think Russia does either. Iran has no real huge allies in this fight any longer.

Bad argument. Look at NK. Look at Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. There are plenty of asshole dictators who need Iran's oil. I like the policy of "if your bomb hits our country, your country is vaporized."

What has O done to halt Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons? This Starwars Bar Scene is but a diversion of the public's Imind from having done nothing in that regard. SecDef says Iran won't have a nuke in just months but in a year

Will you be disallusioned when that doesn't pan out and in 12 months Iran has nukes causing provoking proliferation throughout the ME?

Last edited:
Will you be disallusioned when that doesn't pan out and in 12 months Iran has nukes causing provoking proliferation throughout the ME?

I'm not expecting perfection. However, what you are doing is merely deflecting away from the topic at hand in order to try and criticize Obama for this. This is history in the making, progress.

I'm not expecting perfection. However, what you are doing is merely deflecting away from the topic at hand in order to try and criticize Obama for this. This is history in the making, progress.

Just be careful. Munich was history in the making, too.

End of mutual annilation? I suppose. End of the annilation of just us? that... I'm not as confident about.

No, what I'm doing is having some fun taking little jabs at your naïveté while getting in a some practice on the wife's I-Phone keyboard.

I do think though, that O loves standing and posing on the world stage, to leave the impression he's actually doing something of substance before a fawning media while all his PLEAS to Iran have been rebuffed.

Question: did O ONLY bow to Hu this time around? If so, why?

Last edited:
No, what I'm doing is having some fun taking little jabs at your naïveté while getting in a some practice on the wife's I-Phone keyboard.

I do think though, that O loves standing and posing on the world stage, to leave the impression he's actually doing something of substance before a fawning media while all his PLEAS to Iran have been rebuffed.

Question: did O ONLY bow to Hu this time around? If so, why?

Naivete? No, not quite.

I'm not going to bother with the ignorant squabbling about the bowing incident, that's for another thread already in existence. My thoughts on the topic are well known.

Will Obama End the Nuclear Era? - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

Today, Obama took a big step toward his goal of locking down all vulnerable nuclear materials. In a document to be released later Tuesday, the final communiqué of the president’s 47-nation nuclear summit will commit all those countries to securing their nuclear material within four years. The Washington Post obtained a draft of the final plan, and the paper reports that the document details 12 obligations of all 47 attending nations and a work plan that encourages investing in nuclear-security measures. "Our objective is clear,” the statement says: “to ensure that terrorists never gain access to plutonium or highly enriched uranium—the essential ingredients of a nuclear weapon.”

The Daily Beast's Joe Cirincione says we're witnessing the end of the Dr. Strangelove world of mutual annihilation.

There are times when you can feel the hinge of history moving. This is one of them.

This week, heads of state fly from Beijing, Moscow, London, Brasilia, Islamabad, Ankara, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, and dozens of other capitals for the largest summit of world leaders called for by a president since the founding of the United Nations. Why?

The short answer is to stop nuclear terrorism. The goal is to forge a new global plan to stop al Qaeda or any other terror group from getting the one part of a nuclear weapon they cannot make themselves: the uranium and plutonium cores.

There is more at the summit than pieces of paper. We may be witnessing the creation of a new global nuclear-security agenda.

On day one of the nuclear summit, Ukraine committed to getting rid of its weapons-grade uranium by 2012—something the U.S. has been seeking for more than a decade. It is expected that countries will leave the summit sharing President Obama’s goal of locking down all vulnerable nuclear materials within four years. The true test will be if countries firmly commit to that goal and build on the summit’s momentum for the years to come. The signs are trending positive.

Polls show that 84 percent of Americans would feel safer in a world where no one had nuclear weapons, including the United States. No one treaty, or speech, or review can make this shift. It requires multiple moves on several levels at once. It is three-dimensional chess. Together, however, the moves make a difference, says New America Foundation’s Jeffrey Lewis:

This is a fight that many administration political advisers are beginning to see as a winning issue for the president. Republicans will have to decide whether to join in the effort and share in the win or play the nuclear Neanderthals, frozen in a previous age.

Barack Obama is going to pull off something with other world leaders that Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton could not accomplish in their eight years in office each in only a year and a half. Congratulations Mr. President. :clap2:

No nuclear material available in the Ukraine? Man, and that was the only country with nuclear material to steal. Sorry terrorists. I suppose they are too dumb to look in the other 46 countries huh? There is a far greater likelihood nuclear material will be stolen in Russia and used in Russia. Yet, 0bama make a treaty with the guys in the weakest position to disadvantage us. Worst negoiator in recorded history.

No nuclear material available in the Ukraine? Man, and that was the only country with nuclear material to steal. Sorry terrorists. I suppose they are too dumb to look in the other 46 countries huh? There is a far greater likelihood nuclear material will be stolen in Russia and used in Russia. Yet, 0bama make a treaty with the guys in the weakest position to disadvantage us. Worst negoiator in recorded history.

You didn't even bother to read the whole article, did you? :eusa_eh:

Don't worry, I'm sure the terrorists will wait four years until this stuff is all secure. You can bet your bottom dollar all 47 countries will follow the treaty to the letter too. How dense are you?

Don't worry, I'm sure the terrorists will wait four years until this stuff is all secure. You can bet your bottom dollar all 47 countries will follow the treaty to the letter too. How dense are you?

He hasn't learned the lessons of history. But then, I can't really fault him. Many people in their 80s still havent.

Did I say anywhere it would be perfect? Bueller? I said something was achieved in a deal that neither Reagan or Clinton could pull off.

How dense are you? I understand you hate Obama, but your lack of rational thinking on this subject is astounding. Take a step back, and take a look at this treaty without going "OMGZ! OBAMA IS DOING IT! THEREFORE I HATE IT!". You're better than that Liberty.

He hasn't learned the lessons of history. But then, I can't really fault him. Many people in their 80s still havent.

How ignorant of you to attack me. What lessons haven't I learned? Where did I say anything to the opposite that Liberty said in his post?

Throw those stones a little more though, without any rhyme or reason. :thup:

Did I say anywhere it would be perfect? Bueller? I said something was achieved in a deal that neither Reagan or Clinton could pull off.

How dense are you? I understand you hate Obama, but your lack of rational thinking on this subject is astounding. Take a step back, and take a look at this treaty without going "OMGZ! OBAMA IS DOING IT! THEREFORE I HATE IT!". You're better than that Liberty.

And when was the last time you gave a republican credit for anything?

New Topics

Forum List

Back