The Dubious Value of Teacher Diversity

Bullshit.
Truth. Almost a dozen students and half the wrestling team asked me questions about myself just yesterday. It gets to be too much sometimes. Some students will try to ask questions about political opinions, but I shut it down there. It's too easy for ethical lines to get blurry between discussion and influencing.

Last edited:
Bullshit
No one I was ever in school with gave a rat's ass about their teachers' personal lives. And if i want to know what students think I'll ask an actual teacher

As I just said above, modern teachers think students care about their personal lives much, much more than they do IMO. Students care about how you make them feel and if you can teach them something, if you are fair. If you respect them as people. Again. The classroom is not about you, the teacher.

As I just said above, modern teachers think students care about their personal lives much, much more than they do IMO. Students care about how you make them feel and if you can teach them something, if you are fair. If you respect them as people. Again. The classroom is not about you, the teacher.
They may think that but they're wrong.

They may think that but they're wrong.

I think I just said that.

It's very common now for teachers to begin the year with "My name is Mrs. Sue and here is my family, my home, my dog, the vacation I took this summer."

no one cares

Better:

"My name is Mrs. Sue, let's get started"

They will learn plenty about you from everything you say and do.

That's all a load of bullshit.

When I was in high school, the faculty was 100% honky. But we did have 2 African American students in attendance. They definitely did better at our school than they would have in the failed Government Schools that had black teachers.
My high school class of nearly 300 had one black student. A studious, soft spoken, well dressed girl who was consistently on the "high honor roll" academically ("A's" in every subject). Her sister, who was a year behind her, was also a high honor roll student. The girls were very popular and a positive example in every way. We had no black teachers and fewer than a half dozen black students in the entire school of 6 grades, 7th through 12th.

Forum List

Back