The Dubious Doctorate of Education

The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

"Doctor Jill Biden"? Gimme a break.

It is the lack of education then that you should be more upset with than the fact that Jill Biden uses the Doctor term behind her name ( Should not be in front ever ) because of her Doctorate in Education...

Also those knocking her career path shouldn’t and should be proud the Future First Lady is so well educated, but alas partisan hacks will complain just to complain...

In the end those complaining about this should educate the public and not scorn her but again as I wrote partisan hacks need something to complain about and if this is your major hissy fit of the day then the news cycle is slow!
I guess we should be happy that's all the Biden haters can come up with. I'm real proud of her for continuing to teach English at a community college all through Joe's vice presidency. She'd like to continue to as FLOTUS, as well. That shows she's dedicated to teaching ordinary folks better reading, writing and thinking skills. She has earned her title, although I think it's usually more commom to call them Professor. It does seem a little like putting on airs, but like I said, she can use the title if it really floats her boat. Is it something she uses or was it the media dressing her up? Does anyone know?

It's so funny...you can have a Doctor of Divinity...and no one questions it...but once you have a woman who happens to be a Democrat, with a Doctorate in Education (seems more valuable than divinity) and everyone is on her criticizing it. All of a sudden! Just like that!
Ahhh. So it's sexism. Automatically. Yeah, that's got to be it.

The Wall Street Journal recently published an opinion piece about the educational and professional bona fides of "Dr. Jill Biden."

Opinion | Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D. (Please excuse the paywall; you get the idea)

The reason for the article was at least partly a reaction to the Biden team continually using the title, "Dr." when mentioning the future FLOTUS, who is distinguished with a PhD in Education. Such formality - being referred to as "Doctor" - is generally not observed for people who are not physicians or other credentialed medical professionals. There is actually a formal policy by the Associated Press, followed by most other Media outlets, that non-medical doctorates are not mentioned unless they are relevant to a particular story.

On a related point, most law school grads have earned a Juris Doctor degree, but they (we) never use that title unless we are employed in a college or university, and being addressed in our teaching capacity.

So it is really a bit of excess pomposity to refer to Jill Biden as "Doctor," knowing that most Americans will assume she is a physician. I have even heard people speculate that Biden can live so lavishly on his "government" salary because his wife is a doctor. Not so fast there. One might also note that in Academe, a doctorate in education is right up there with ethnic studies and phys ed on the prestige ladder.

One might also notice with a good dose of cynicism that the Media rarely use the title of "Dr." for actual Republican physicians such as Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Rand Paul, and others.

It is the lack of education then that you should be more upset with than the fact that Jill Biden uses the Doctor term behind her name ( Should not be in front ever ) because of her Doctorate in Education...

Also those knocking her career path shouldn’t and should be proud the Future First Lady is so well educated, but alas partisan hacks will complain just to complain...

In the end those complaining about this should educate the public and not scorn her but again as I wrote partisan hacks need something to complain about and if this is your major hissy fit of the day then the news cycle is slow!
I guess we should be happy that's all the Biden haters can come up with. I'm real proud of her for continuing to teach English at a community college all through Joe's vice presidency. She'd like to continue to as FLOTUS, as well. That shows she's dedicated to teaching ordinary folks better reading, writing and thinking skills. She has earned her title, although I think it's usually more commom to call them Professor. It does seem a little like putting on airs, but like I said, she can use the title if it really floats her boat. Is it something she uses or was it the media dressing her up? Does anyone know?

I really do not know the answer if she uses the title or requests to be called that or it is just the media...

What I can not understand is all the hate against the woman seeing she is well educated and has never shown any form of arrogance in my opinion, and she remind me of Laura Bush as that person you can enjoy as a First Lady...

I guess because she is the wife of Joe Biden mean some will be the typical nutters and just whine about anything and everything...

It's so funny...you can have a Doctor of Divinity...and no one questions it...but once you have a woman who happens to be a Democrat, with a Doctorate in Education (seems more valuable than divinity) and everyone is on her criticizing it. All of a sudden! Just like that!

Maybe you missed the part about her being a Democrat and that is the real reason behind the hate or better yet she is Joe Biden wife...

Less about sexism and more about her not being Republican...

I really do not know the answer if she uses the title or requests to be called that or it is just the media...

What I can not understand is all the hate against the woman seeing she is well educated and has never shown any form of arrogance in my opinion, and she remind me of Laura Bush as that person you can enjoy as a First Lady...

I guess because she is the wife of Joe Biden mean some will be the typical nutters and just whine about anything and everything...
I don't care much for her for the way she's allowed her husband to be exploited when he's obviously mentally incompetent.

But, hey, she gets to be First Lady, so what's a little elder abuse?

Maybe you missed the part about her being a Democrat and that is the real reason behind the hate or better yet she is Joe Biden wife...

Uh huh. Did you miss the part where Coyote very carefully pointed out her gender?

Uh huh. Did you miss the part where Coyote very carefully pointed out her gender?

Did you miss that Coyote also pointed out she is a Democrat, Oh I just wrote She so maybe you will confuse it as sexism with your simple minded way of thinking!

I don't care much for her for the way she's allowed her husband to be exploited when he's obviously mentally incompetent.

Holy fuck what is wrong with you?

Now you are making the claim she abuses her husband?

There is something seriously wrong with you and the Trump voting base when you start with that nonsense!

Honestly, if this is what you're down to making an issue of, you've not only been beaten, but you've lost...badly. She is a PHD. They are referred to by their colleagues as Doctor. This is not a new thing.
I wouldn't hold Rand Paul or Ben Carson up as shining examples of doctors. Given the bullshit I've heard come out of each of their mouths, I would guess they got their MD out of a Cheerios box...or in Carson's case, a package of Oreo's. :auiqs.jpg:
Ben Carson was a brain surgeon, Jack which means he's the cream of the crop in the world of surgeons! Jill Biden became a teacher. Teachers in the United States typically get their Masters and their Doctorate in Education because doing so gets them higher pay from our public school systems. To be blunt I don't know of any Doctors in Education that referred to each other as "Doctor So and So"! A Doctorate in Education carries very little prestige.

Did you miss that Coyote also pointed out she is a Democrat, Oh I just wrote She so maybe you will confuse it as sexism with your simple minded way of thinking!
Simple? Kid, I've been around a long time. When they can't make a rational argument, leftists always default too the "-ist"s. Racist, sexist, etc. The words have been thrown around with so little basis in fact they don't mean anything anymore.

Holy fuck what is wrong with you?

Now you are making the claim she abuses her husband?

There is something seriously wrong with you and the Trump voting base when you start with that nonsense!
Biden is in cognitive decay. He belongs in a home, not the White House.

But you don't care. You were told he's great, and you refuse to see anything else.

... If you study History, Psychology, Accounting, English Lit, or almost any other subject matter, there is a quantifiable body of knowledge associated with that area of study; if you learn it you succeed, and if you fail to learn it, you fail. ...

Like Education.

Dare one mention that Michele Obama possesses a Juris Doctor degree. She was a licensed attorney. And yet I never heard anyone refer to her as "Doctor," or even pin the "Esq." on the tail of her name.

Normal. No self aggrandizement at all.

Forum List

Back