The Democrats' John McCain?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Democrats' Version of John McCain
By Debra J. Saunders, San Francisco Chronicle
July 23, 2006

Months ago, I was lunching with some savvy Democrats, when one of them asked me: What is the problem with all those Republicans who can't stand maverick GOP Sen. John McCain?

As a McCainiac, I warmed to the subject. I disagree with McCain on illegal immigration and other issues, but I like the fact that McCain appeals to Democrats and independents and that he can work with senators on the other side of the aisle. I appreciate McCain's efforts to curb Washington's runaway spending, and wish more Republicans followed his lead on fiscal restraint. What is more, I think McCain in the White House could go a long way in healing the country's ugly partisan divide.

Then again, I added, Democrats have their own maverick -- Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman. Unlike Dems who ran from their support of the Iraq resolution, Lieberman has remained stalwart. He has forged relations with the Bush White House and joined McCain and Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., in fighting pork-barrel spending.

That's when the table got quiet. It is one thing for Democrats to feel superior to rube Republicans who don't like McCain because he is not sufficiently doctrinaire. When, however, a Democrat gets along with Republicans and espouses moderate positions, well then, he is a turncoat, plain and simple. The episode demonstrated how voters value bipartisanship -- from the other side, only.

for full article
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/07/23/EDGOBIQ75O1.DTL

Dems love McCain because he opposes Pres Bush on so many issues. Dems would not vote for him for President if their life depended on it

Look how Dems treat their own "mavericks"

Lieberman, Zell Miller, or Ed Koch are perfect examples.

McCain loves all the glowing press for the NY Times and Washington Post. His ego grows as libs like Chris Matthews fall over him

Abbey Normal said:
Interesting, isn't it?

I really do think McCain laves all the attention libs like Chris Matthews pays to him.

According to Matthews, McCain is the unelected President.

McCain is to dumb to see libs are using him like they used Cindy Sheehan and the Jersey Girls

red states rule said:
I really do think McCain laves all the attention libs like Chris Matthews pays to him.

According to Matthews, McCain is the unelected President.

McCain is to dumb to see libs are using him like they used Cindy Sheehan and the Jersey Girls

It's nice to agree with you on something, RSR. McCain is a little gloryhound, sellout, biaaatch.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's nice to agree with you on something, RSR. McCain is a little gloryhound, sellout, biaaatch.

McCain might as well switch parties and make it official.

I stopped reading when you called Chris Matthews a liberal....

:rotflmao:

McCain criticizes the Administration at the same time he praises it. Talking out of both sides of his mouth...?

party loyalty is first in his book, now and forevermore...

cgd75 said:
I stopped reading when you called Chris Matthews a liberal....

:rotflmao:

McCain criticizes the Administration at the same time he praises it. Talking out of both sides of his mouth...?

party loyalty is first in his book, now and forevermore...

Calling him what is is. He is a former staffer for President Peanut Carter and all he does is repeat the DNC talking points

red states rule said:
Calling him what is is. He is a former staffer for President Peanut Carter and all he does is repeat the DNC talking points

Right. That's why Zell Miller wanted to challenge him to a duel.

He's as liberal as you are.

cgd75 said:
Right. That's why Zell Miller wanted to challenge him to a duel.

He's as liberal as you are.

Because Chris never shuts up and lets the guest answer the question.

That is why the ratings for his show are in the basement.

Matthews really needs to take his meds and calm down.

Forum List

Back