What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The degeneration of American culture?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Reaction score
How in 48 years we went from Star Trek to American Idol?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
We've gone from Lucy & Desi in separate beds to close-ups of guys shitting on television.

Anyone who doesn't see decay is either blind or lying.

Mr Clean

Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you think it's bad now . . .

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This idea has often crossed my mind. We are sometimes so obsessed and jingoistic in claiming that our culture and our ways are not a threat to the global culture, while at the same time claiming Islamic scholars who preach in their mosques are crazy because there is some sort of war going on. Still, we have never stopped to even objectively take a look at what they are talking about.

The truth is, YES, they may have a little bit of a point. Is it worth drawing swords over? Hell no. I think both cultures have important critiques to make of each other. Liberalism, taking to it's logical and most unrestrained outcome, does look a bit scary to most community minded folk.

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
This idea has often crossed my mind. We are sometimes so obsessed and jingoistic in claiming that our culture and our ways are not a threat to the global culture, while at the same time claiming Islamic scholars who preach in their mosques are crazy because there is some sort of war going on. Still, we have never stopped to even objectively take a look at what they are talking about.

The truth is, YES, they may have a little bit of a point. Is it worth drawing swords over? Hell no. I think both cultures have important critiques to make of each other. Liberalism, taking to it's logical and most unrestrained outcome, does look a bit scary to most community minded folk.

While conservatism gives you the Dark Ages...

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
We've gone from Lucy & Desi in separate beds to close-ups of guys shitting on television.

What chamel was that on? Since I doubt they actually shatted..

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
TV started in history heavily censored, but why portray humans as they really aren't?
Media arts have the choice of projecting art as life or generating life into art..

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Go to YouTube and search "jackass shit". I posted the "poo volcano" here a few weeks back.

The Jackass TV show "featured" it and so did their movies, which now play on teevee.

You can also see people shitting on Tosh.0 on Comedy Central.

I can't believe I just typed any of that.

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Go to YouTube and search "jackass shit". I posted the "poo volcano" here a few weeks back.

The Jackass TV show "featured" it and so did their movies, which now play on teevee.

Cable is different than the big three styled TV channels..You must pay extra to see da poop. but they do not show it with a clear vision as it is filtered.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Cable is different than the big three styled TV channels..You must pay extra to see da poop. but they do not show it with a clear vision as it is filtered.

I'm talking about our culture. It doesn't matter if we pay for it or not, these shows are popular.

What entertains us is a reflection of our culture, and that has clearly decayed over the last few decades.

Mr Clean

Platinum Member
Reaction score
In 50 years or so they'll be referring to our era as "the good old days".

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score

I'm talking about our culture. It doesn't matter if we pay for it or not, these shows are popular.

What entertains us is a reflection of our culture, and that has clearly decayed over the last few decades.

It is a phenomena the infiltrates all great societies, The Romans wondered why the masses preferred the perverted entertainment than the cultured/intelligent aged productions.....

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
In 50 years or so they'll be referring to our era as "the good old days".
By then I'll be crapping my pants and doing a tv production sketch with it...

Camp

Gold Member
Reaction score

It can't be all that bad. Heck, Republican Sen. Vitter was paying a prostitute to entertain him as he shatt in a diaper and the fools re-elected him. So what is worse, a silly TV show or a US Senator with a fetish for poop?

sameech

VIP Member
Reaction score

I disagree. decades ago people had maybe 20 cable channels, now my "starter" tier has almost 150 channels. It isn't about american culture. There are a plethora of high quality content out there. You are cherrypicking by talking about a network who advertisers will pay a mint for 500,000 13-15 year old viewers and not for 5,000,000 60 year old viewers. MTV chases the demographic niche that gives them money. They don't care what we think are whether we watch because we are not tweens.

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
American culture has been decadent for many years, even before TV was used...

💲 Amazon Deals 💲

Forum List