The Definition of Religion is Changing

In late 2002 I joined my first internet discussion forum - Atheist Network. I am an atheist. It did not take long until I engaged in a discussion about the definitions of atheism and religion. And, it did not take long after that that I was banned for my insistence that the definition, "belief and worship of the supernatural (or god)," is an incorrect definition for religion, because it merely reinforces theism. There is not enough difference between belief and worship to justify the conjunction to differentiate religion from theism, when theism is defined as belief in god. Belief is the minimal form of worship; and a person cannot worship anything if they do not believe it to be worthy of guarding.

This and several other my semantic arguments have been presented at various atheist forums ever since then, and I have been banned from most of them; and most of the atheist forums have dissolved, because of lack of interest and funding from the members.

Anyway, I periodically review the definitions on the popular websites.
noun
  1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
  2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
  3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:a world council of religions.
  4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.:to enter religion.
  5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
  6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
1a: the state of a religious
a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Eventually, they will get it right.

Religion is the practice of exercises that maintains a person's dignity.
Thanks Prof.Lunaphiles
I go along with any *faith based belief* becomes a religion if that person makes it an external requirement.

I get religious about the Constitution because I require myself to follow the standards of govt and hold others to who CLAIM to defend it.

Other people I know agree with general principles but don't hold themselves to higher duty to enforce these "like a religion."

Someone once pointed out "religion" like a "ligature" applies to RELATIONSHIPS.

So if you require certain conditions on your relations with other people, with groups, with collective society humanity or God, any beliefs about right or wrong, true or false, can become your religion.

In late 2002 I joined my first internet discussion forum - Atheist Network. I am an atheist. It did not take long until I engaged in a discussion about the definitions of atheism and religion. And, it did not take long after that that I was banned for my insistence that the definition, "belief and worship of the supernatural (or god)," is an incorrect definition for religion, because it merely reinforces theism. There is not enough difference between belief and worship to justify the conjunction to differentiate religion from theism, when theism is defined as belief in god. Belief is the minimal form of worship; and a person cannot worship anything if they do not believe it to be worthy of guarding.

This and several other my semantic arguments have been presented at various atheist forums ever since then, and I have been banned from most of them; and most of the atheist forums have dissolved, because of lack of interest and funding from the members.

Anyway, I periodically review the definitions on the popular websites.
noun
  1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
  2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
  3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:a world council of religions.
  4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.:to enter religion.
  5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
  6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
1a: the state of a religious
a nun in her 20th year of religion
b(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Eventually, they will get it right.

Religion is the practice of exercises that maintains a person's dignity.

My experience is most forums are owned by godbotherers. Its not you are wrong, its the fact they don't want you to reveal the truth. They live in a sheltered workshop and congratulate each other and have contests to ascertain who is the biggest believer. Some of them even suggest they have interactions with God.
It's true. Believe it.

RE: Religion and Ethics
SUBTOPIC: Recognition
⁜→ emilynghiem, et al,

BLUF: Comparative analysis of "Faith-based Systems" and that of the known "Sciences" seldom are in agreement.

emilynghiem said:
Thanks Prof.Lunaphiles
I go along with any *faith based belief* becomes a religion if that person makes it an external requirement.
(COMMENT)

Don't confuse theoretical understanding of the nature and attributes of the Supernatural (religion) with the common language that "believers" use to communicate between themselves and the supernatural, the common actions they perform, and the infrastructure they use to facilitate the greater population of believers (protocols).

emilynghiem said:
I get religious about the Constitution because I require myself to follow the standards of govt and hold others to who CLAIM to defend it.
(COMMENT)

The "constitution" is a set of protocols that institutionalize that which you hold others to protect and defend.

◈ The "Constitution" establishes the arms of government.
◈ The "Constitution" sets-out the duties and authorities.
◈ The "Constitution" outlines the form the government will take, the magnitude of each governmental arm, and the checks and balances by which government will stand.

emilynghiem said:
Other people I know agree with general principles but don't hold themselves to higher duty to enforce these "like a religion."
(COMMENT)

Much like "holy Orders" in the US an officer - taking the "Oath of Office" → swears (makes a solemn declaration) --- that they will "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same."

◈ Support and defend the Constitution​
◈ Bear true faith and allegiance to the same (the Constitution)​

What is important is that the support, defense effort, faith, and allegiance are contracted to the Constitution and NOT the United States of America.

You express your "faith" in the Constitution by protocol. Enforcement is an outcome of the solemn declaration.

QUESTION: How do you enforce "faith?" (The inquisition?)

emilynghiem said:
Someone once pointed out "religion" like a "ligature" applies to RELATIONSHIPS.

So if you require certain conditions on your relations with other people, with groups, with collective society humanity or God, any beliefs about right or wrong, true or false, can become your religion.
(COMMENT)

This is the question.

If I defend the nation - do I:

◈ Do it out of true faith in the process?​
................................or​
◈ Do it to avoid sanctions and penalties?​

(Ω)

The key to a "religion" is in the belief in the supernatural → that which is beyond our understanding of the natural and physical laws of the universe - as we understand it.

◈ When one walks into a Jewish Synagogue, Christian Church or an Islamic Mosque one does so (presumably) to execute an act of worship to a deity of a supernatural origin.
◈ When one belongs to a Masonic Lodge, one has a central theme that they keep faith in the Supreme Architect (the Supernatural).
◈ When an individual, either in a solitary mode or within a coven, practices a belief in ancient art sacred magic, they are engaging a form of power in the supernatural universe.
◈ When the intelligentsia speaks of a lifeforce, soul, or consciousness they are speaking of that which is not understood.
1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back