The Death of Recreational Travel

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you are reading in this Forum, I presume that you have an interest in, and actively participate in, recreational travel.

Are "we" willing to stand by and let it die - killed off by pusillanimous politicians who are frighted of being blamed for "unnecessary" (but inevitable) deaths?

The Cruise industry will not survive. How can it? Its main customer base is over 65 years old (I'm 70), and as a group, those folks are going to be very reluctant to get into a sealed vessel with a couple thousand strangers, who might be carrying who-knows-what disease into their midst. And to say that "It will just take time" is oblivious to reality. You can't put those billion-dollar vessels into dry dock and leave them to rot until the People are ready to use them again. And they cannot travel half-full; even if the cruise lines are perfectly financially healthy when the restrictions are lifted (they are not), one travel season of half-full ships would drive them into bankruptcy.

And you probably know that those cabin boys and waitresses, etc., are mainly from what some refer to as "shit hole" countries, and they may not even be around when the cruise ships come calling again - not that they ever will.

Same for resorts (like those owned by Trump Properties). They cannot survive half-full. They have staffing requirements that can't be shrunk significantly. Buildings quickly go into disrepair when they are shuttered.

National parks will undoubtedly survive (we are paying for them regardless), but the hotels, motels, etc. near them may not.

Air BnB should see a surge of new business after the restrictions are lifted. Those properties are not going away. Even if the owners go bankrupt someone will snatch up the properties and make them available in the future.

But what about restaurants in tourist areas? People are speculating that those establishments might survive until the veil is lifted, but do you think about the next question: Can they operate under restrictions that will cut their business revenue in half? Most of them have microscopic profits in good times; they will not be viable businesses with half the customers and half the revenue, as "social distancing" will demand. Consider the wait staff. If tipping is not greatly enhanced, their hourly compensation will be reduced significantly.

For travelers it will be a whole new world. As someone who greatly enjoyed my Viking River cruises in Europe, I simply don't think I will ever have that experience again. Maybe bus tours would fare better. But who knows?

If you are reading in this Forum, I presume that you have an interest in, and actively participate in, recreational travel.

Are "we" willing to stand by and let it die - killed off by pusillanimous politicians who are frighted of being blamed for "unnecessary" (but inevitable) deaths?

The Cruise industry will not survive. How can it? Its main customer base is over 65 years old (I'm 70), and as a group, those folks are going to be very reluctant to get into a sealed vessel with a couple thousand strangers, who might be carrying who-knows-what disease into their midst. And to say that "It will just take time" is oblivious to reality. You can't put those billion-dollar vessels into dry dock and leave them to rot until the People are ready to use them again. And they cannot travel half-full; even if the cruise lines are perfectly financially healthy when the restrictions are lifted (they are not), one travel season of half-full ships would drive them into bankruptcy.

And you probably know that those cabin boys and waitresses, etc., are mainly from what some refer to as "shit hole" countries, and they may not even be around when the cruise ships come calling again - not that they ever will.

Same for resorts (like those owned by Trump Properties). They cannot survive half-full. They have staffing requirements that can't be shrunk significantly. Buildings quickly go into disrepair when they are shuttered.

National parks will undoubtedly survive (we are paying for them regardless), but the hotels, motels, etc. near them may not.

Air BnB should see a surge of new business after the restrictions are lifted. Those properties are not going away. Even if the owners go bankrupt someone will snatch up the properties and make them available in the future.

But what about restaurants in tourist areas? People are speculating that those establishments might survive until the veil is lifted, but do you think about the next question: Can they operate under restrictions that will cut their business revenue in half? Most of them have microscopic profits in good times; they will not be viable businesses with half the customers and half the revenue, as "social distancing" will demand. Consider the wait staff. If tipping is not greatly enhanced, their hourly compensation will be reduced significantly.

For travelers it will be a whole new world. As someone who greatly enjoyed my Viking River cruises in Europe, I simply don't think I will ever have that experience again. Maybe bus tours would fare better. But who knows?
Considering the fact that I have been working for the past four years trying to obtain experience for 500 ton plus captains license in order to become a cruise ship captain, I would say I have an iterest in it. My plan was to see the world not only on some one elses dime but get paid well to do it. THis situation sucks for sure but in time travel will come back. Until then I will work fishing vessles and freighters I guess.

I live in a recreational area and don't have to travel yet, in my area restaurants didn't close, people are not wearing masks and the canoe and camp grounds offered free camping and fishing to let people get out. So there is very little change in the small town of Noel, Missouri, in fact the Tyson's plant has so many new hires there is no where to park, chicken is very plentiful and the local butcher has plenty of beef and pork, fish, we get that from the river...

I think we’ve lost our minds. Like the idiots driving their cars alone, but wearing a mask. Or the fools walking on the beach or in the woods, wearing a mask.
img

You are describing the entire world economy

it is based on full participation and cannot thrive under the fear mongering that we are being bombarded with now

The thing that has amazed me is the way state gov'ts have treated hotels as opposed to campgrounds.

Virginia is one example. They forced campgrounds to close. But allowed hotels & motels to stay open. Camping in an RV is far safer, where Covid-19 is concerned, than staying in a hotel. And many people live full time in their RVs.

Kentucky release it's Phase 2 of reopening. Restaurants will reopen their inside dining facilities on May 11, with restrictions on spacing and recommending outdoor dining. Gyms and movie theaters will reopen on June 1st. Campgrounds will reopen on June 11th.

I have cruised a lot. They rely on full cruises to keep the prices down and extras to make their profits. They usually sail at about 95 percent capacity.
With social distancing, they will probably have to function at 50 percent.

The thing that has amazed me is the way state gov'ts have treated hotels as opposed to campgrounds.

Virginia is one example. They forced campgrounds to close. But allowed hotels & motels to stay open. Camping in an RV is far safer, where Covid-19 is concerned, than staying in a hotel. And many people live full time in their RVs.

Kentucky release it's Phase 2 of reopening. Restaurants will reopen their inside dining facilities on May 11, with restrictions on spacing and recommending outdoor dining. Gyms and movie theaters will reopen on June 1st. Campgrounds will reopen on June 11th.
Yeah it’s absurd. Why close campgrounds? They’re outdoor venues. Florida had their state parks closed to overnight camping, but day use was allowed. WTF? many states did the same.

I have cruised a lot. They rely on full cruises to keep the prices down and extras to make their profits. They usually sail at about 95 percent capacity.
With social distancing, they will probably have to function at 50 percent.

They will have to charge a lot more of course if they have to do social distancing.

Just like the NFL and NCAA. Reducing the capacity of Ohio Stadium from 101,000 to 20,000 will make it harder for Ohio State to keep down the price of tickets.

..it's all a web...restaurants close--suppliers to restaurants close/cut back--the supplier workers have no $$$$ or less $$$$ to spend on other businesses--those places then have to close/cut back
..what goes into a restaurant business? food/cleaners?/napkins-plates-silverware/...local taxes gone

In the near term, I think things are going to pretty much suck. People are sure as Hell not going to want to go on cruises. Frankly, I've been on one in my life and I'm not sure I'd go again. Okay, so it was on Carnival, so maybe I'm just being harsh.

As for getting from Point A to Point B, I think we'll see some changes.

Flying? Well, once upon a time, flying was for the fancy folks, and it wasn't cheap. You'd never dream of flying in sweat pants. Even wearing a t-shirt was almost unheard of, and it was downright unthinkable to wear flip flops. I think what we'll eventually see there is smaller passenger manifests but higher prices, as well as a return to the day when "ghetto flights" didn't exist.

Travel by train used to be a relatively cheaper alternative to flying, but that's not necessarily the case anymore. If I want a sleeper car (and I would), the cheapest option to visit my daughter in Seattle is $2,515 (r/t) and it would take three and a half days to get there. Conversely, a first-class, round trip ticket on Delta is $798, and it'll get me there in a few hours. The only question then is how badly do I want to spend four days looking at the wonderful landscapes of this great country? Honestly, I could go either way but, for someone who might not have the same level of disposable income, a $358 ticket in economy class, on that same Delta flight, will get you there in the same amount of time.

I've never really considered bus travel as an option for me. There's just nothing about it which interests me, especially when a bus to visit my daughter would take four days and cost about $50 more than an economy flight.

When I can, I prefer to drive. This involves merely the cost of gas and, at 36 mpg, the Malibu (one of my daily drivers) isn't a horrible choice. Driving means I can stop where I want, when I want and for as long as I want. That's an enormous plus for me. I also don't have to be concerned with making sure everything I'm bringing fits into two suitcases.

How hotels and resorts fare will remain to be seen. I've got a friend who's a life member with Disney Resorts, and she's freaked out about ever staying at a Disney resort again. I think individual hotels and chains will survive just fine, although I can honestly say I'll probably never stay at one of those budget roadside joints again.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see...

But when Alex tried warning you sheep it was " a conspiracy" as I got the crazy train at every post too lol.... annd old old post pro e these words to pathetic.

Just like we are warning you NOW that next year possibly a littlle sooner
youu will need the following to TRAVEL WITHIN THE US

TRAVEL PAPERS
if they cann do it sooner they will------- the other thing Bill Gates wants is a " TATTOO" it will have everything on it-- everything.

Oh aannd everything that was to blow openn on Obama opened up on Trump-------- so that it looked like him and not Obama

PROOF
OBAMACARE ENHANCES GLOBALIST EFFORT TO RESTRICT FREEDOM OF TRAVEL
Kurt Nimmo | You may think twice about mobility if your health insurance is nullified.

LOOK AT THE YR THIS WAS PUT OUT
1588950842082.png

Last edited:

I will say this this shit appears to be the end of receational sex for me. Last girl willing to come break social distancing regs has decided to opt for a long term boy friend. So now there is no where open to meet new ones and I refuse to go the online method as half the time ya got no idea who the hell you are realy talking to and other issues that lie there in. I am worried as time goes by my new theme song will become this.

I knew the day would come that age would change my criterian but this covid thing is ushering this along quicker than I expected.

Canon Shooter, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss bus travel. It is relatively comfortable, cheap (sometimes amazingly so), and you can see the scenery - which you really can't when driving. There is usually WiFi, which keeps you entertained and in touch, and you MIGHT be able to use the restroom on occasion. Seriously, it's better than Amtrak in my opinion, and safer & better than driving. I can't sleep at all on the train with all the noise and rocking around.

Forum List

Back