The Dangerous Idea That Links the Buffalo Shooting and ...

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I know that the events of January 6th 2021 are a very volatile point of contention between people in the United States however it is not just that which I wanted others to see. It's the fact that this article mentions several of the things I and other black members of U.S. Message Board have stated repeatedly on this site, only to have those comments dismissed out of hand by those who continue to insist that racism against black people no longer exists:

. . . .
How might the Buffalo shooting and other white supremacist shootings echo the way that white people used guns in the 1800s to keep Black people from gaining power and freedom?
After the Civil War, angry whites—who could not believe that Black people had the right to be free—knew that it was going to take enormous violence to keep the Black population from believing that they had the rights to citizenship. We see that same violence in the rise of Jim Crow. This enormous violence of, on average, one lynching every other day for three decades. That is white domestic terrorism. And it wasn’t always the state. It was these vigilantes, these armed whites believed they had the responsibility to keep Black folks in check. That’s the same kind of responsibility that the folks who killed Ahmaud Arbery believed that they had.
I've stated as much specifically regarding the fact that George Zimmerman had no lawful authority granting him the right to surveil, stalk and confront Trayvon Martin as to what right Martin had to be in be in that neighborhood and area. Zimmerman was the aggressor in this situation yet the system completely ignored this fact which would have prevented him from lawfully claiming self-defense in this situation

. . .
It’s also chillingly similar to what the Buffalo shooter believed.
It is. And, you know, as a historian, I connect the dots. To me, one of those big dots is the insurrection, which was about those folks in those cities who had the audacity to vote. Trump’s Big Lie was that folks in Milwaukee, in Detroit, in Atlanta, in Philadelphia stole the election. Notice that those are cities that have sizable minority populations. He didn’t say the election got stolen in Salt Lake City. He linked theft with Blackness, with the assault on American democracy, with folks stealing something valuable from hard working white Americans. So when they’re carrying the Confederate flag through the halls of Congress, that is invoking whiteness as citizenship. And the threat to that citizenship is not that white supremacy that’s embedded in that Confederate flag, but it is all of these others—this “great replacement.” All of these other non-Americans are coming to steal our culture, to steal our political power, to steal our democracy.
Those racist beliefs are so often intertwined with a fixation on the right to bear arms.
Think about how Reuters did that review of threats against election officials and poll workers, and how consistently you saw the Second Amendment invoked as a threat against those who were trying to make sure that every vote was counted. That was their sense of: This is our country and they are trying to steal it. It’s the same thing that the Buffalo killer said.
Continued here:
The Dangerous Idea That Links the Buffalo Shooting and the Insurrection

The drawback of having controversial opinions is that EVERYONE ELSE is allowed to have them, as well. The "logic" you use is nothing more than an attempt to preemptively justify legal action against other citizens who have committed NO CRIME but who you fear MAY commit crime in future. I'm 61 and grew up in Mobile, Alabama in the 60s and 70s. I remember seeing notices stuck unper my parent's car windsheild wipers for local Klan events, including cross burnings.

I recall riots in schools during desegregation. In short, I KNOW what true racism looks like. It's damned ugly, destructive, and disgustingly hateful. This nation has made incredible strides in combatting it as well as educating it out of the vast majority of young folks. Interracial couples are almost more common down here now than single-race couples. When I was a kid in the late 60s, a black man seen walking with a white girl might well never be seen again and SHE wouldn't fair much better. THAT is what REAL racism looks like.

As a black person it is totally up to you how you choose to handle your perceptions of victimhood but it might be wise to spend a little time with some of your elders and geta real picture of how it was versus how it is today. I've never claimed there is no longer any racism. Adults typically figure out that NOTHING can be mandated or compelled that will cause blacks, whites, Asians, or Hispanics to get along if they aren't naturally inclined to do so voluntarily. As things stand today, we are being pushed into opposite camps and eventually, media is going to set off a firestorm that NONE OF US can benefit from. It will be horrific and once the bleeding begins, it will be like a fire in a drought-stricken forest.

I will begin to take Black activists seriously when I see them taking the issues in Chicago, Philadelphia, and L.A. seriously.

Slate?

I'd rather read used toilet paper.

(BTW, Martin attacked Zimmerman. That's the reason he was exonerated)
Exactly. Zimmerman was a puffed up marshall Dillon wannabe but that shooting was righteous simply because the young guy left him with no choice. He called the fat boy's bluff and jumped him. It quickly escalated and Z had a case that he was in fear of having his weapon taken from him. In Florida, that means do not pass go, do not get convicted when the physical aggressor resorts to assault and battery on the armed individual. That kid died from testosterone-driven bad decisions and it was terrible but had he gotten hold of Z's weapon, it might easily have been Z that was being carried by 6 rather than being judged by 12.

This is our country and they are trying to steal it. It’s the same thing that the Buffalo killer said.
Have you taken the time to view 2000 MULES? If not, do you plan to do so? IF not, then you are headed for a future that will be incomprehensible for you based on faulty information that your media played you with. No one says you must agree with that movie but it explains one hell of a lot of the reasons for the anger that led directly to the riot on 1/6.

Also, if the Democrats attempt to use an insecure mail-in system again in states that have legislated against it, the country is going to come apart at the seams. For the sake of fairness... just imagine that you sincerely believed Biden won in 2020 BUT Trump managed to claim the win because no court and no media outlet would allow YOUR grievances to be investigated, AND, the media began a mantra to mock and discount ANY chance of an investigation that YOU believed would show proof of the cheating.

What would YOU want to have happen in that case? Remember, no one is willing to investigate and even after loads of data were collected that pointed to obvious cheating, the media, Republican Party, and the courts simply refuse to listen at all. What would YOU demand? Because that is where tens of millions of Americans are at as we head toward this November and, even more critically, into the next presidential contest.

For my part, I feel comfortable predicting that when the massive Red wave becomes a reality in about 5 months and the Dems lose the power to run endless investigations and use subpoenas to drag Congress members before the people so they can be accused without real evidnece, your party is going to refuse, utterly, to accept those results as legitimate. They have already made the statement that if the exact same procedures and standards that were used in 2020 aren't used in 2022, then it will amount to voter suppression and will invalidate the election's legitimacy.

That is going to end badly for us all.

The drawback of having controversial opinions is that EVERYONE ELSE is allowed to have them, as well. The "logic" you use is nothing more than an attempt to preemptively justify legal action against other citizens who have committed NO CRIME but who you fear MAY commit crime in future. I'm 61 and grew up in Mobile, Alabama in the 60s and 70s. I remember seeing notices stuck unper my parent's car windsheild wipers for local Klan events, including cross burnings.

I recall riots in schools during desegregation. In short, I KNOW what true racism looks like. It's damned ugly, destructive, and disgustingly hateful. This nation has made incredible strides in combatting it as well as educating it out of the vast majority of young folks. Interracial couples are almost more common down here now than single-race couples. When I was a kid in the late 60s, a black man seen walking with a white girl might well never be seen again and SHE wouldn't fair much better. THAT is what REAL racism looks like.

As a black person it is totally up to you how you choose to handle your perceptions of victimhood but it might be wise to spend a little time with some of your elders and geta real picture of how it was versus how it is today. I've never claimed there is no longer any racism. Adults typically figure out that NOTHING can be mandated or compelled that will cause blacks, whites, Asians, or Hispanics to get along if they aren't naturally inclined to do so voluntarily. As things stand today, we are being pushed into opposite camps and eventually, media is going to set off a firestorm that NONE OF US can benefit from. It will be horrific and once the bleeding begins, it will be like a fire in a drought-stricken forest.

I will begin to take Black activists seriously when I see them taking the issues in Chicago, Philadelphia, and L.A. seriously.
That old time racism you grew up with only existed because the organized racists had support from politicians and especially law enforcement. That's why so many see the resurgence of white supremacy into mainstream politics as a worrying sign. As of yet the republican party has done very little to reassure anyone that they are not looking for a return to the good old days when no establishment white man ever had to worry about getting trouble for killing black people.

Meh, since the dem photo ops/virtue signaling are over I did not even see it on the news today. About the only thing left is the funerals and finger-pointing/ass-covering by NY officials.

What I did see was:

Gas prices broke yet another record.

Grocery prices continue to rise.

The stock market tanked.....Again.

The baby formula situation is worsening by the day with kids getting sick now.

The Ministry of Truth was nixed.

We will be tee-totaly fucked next Monday at the border if Title 42 ends.

Another food center burned-down.

A recession is a dead certainty now. It only remains to be seen if it is soft or not.

Low energy turn-out for the dems in yesterday's primaries...Two to three times the turn-out for the gop.

I even heard on CNN that the abortion issue is not a winner for the dems because most pro-choice folks (like myself) favor restrictions like the Mississippi Compromise and those that don't are viewed as extreme. They hurt the dems because they are the ones making all the noise.

That old time racism you grew up with only existed because the organized racists had support from politicians and especially law enforcement. That's why so many see the resurgence of white supremacy into mainstream politics as a worrying sign. As of yet the republican party has done very little to reassure anyone that they are not looking for a return to the good old days when no establishment white man ever had to worry about getting trouble for killing black people.
Democrats were the architects of slavery and racism. Republicans were the architects of abolition.

I know that the events of January 6th 2021 are a very volatile point of contention between people in the United States however it is not just that which I wanted others to see. It's the fact that this article mentions several of the things I and other black members of U.S. Message Board have stated repeatedly on this site, only to have those comments dismissed out of hand by those who continue to insist that racism against black people no longer exists:

. . . .​
How might the Buffalo shooting and other white supremacist shootings echo the way that white people used guns in the 1800s to keep Black people from gaining power and freedom?
After the Civil War, angry whites—who could not believe that Black people had the right to be free—knew that it was going to take enormous violence to keep the Black population from believing that they had the rights to citizenship. We see that same violence in the rise of Jim Crow. This enormous violence of, on average, one lynching every other day for three decades. That is white domestic terrorism. And it wasn’t always the state. It was these vigilantes, these armed whites believed they had the responsibility to keep Black folks in check. That’s the same kind of responsibility that the folks who killed Ahmaud Arbery believed that they had.
I've stated as much specifically regarding the fact that George Zimmerman had no lawful authority granting him the right to surveil, stalk and confront Trayvon Martin as to what right Martin had to be in be in that neighborhood and area. Zimmerman was the aggressor in this situation yet the system completely ignored this fact which would have prevented him from lawfully claiming self-defense in this situation

. . .​
It’s also chillingly similar to what the Buffalo shooter believed.
It is. And, you know, as a historian, I connect the dots. To me, one of those big dots is the insurrection, which was about those folks in those cities who had the audacity to vote. Trump’s Big Lie was that folks in Milwaukee, in Detroit, in Atlanta, in Philadelphia stole the election. Notice that those are cities that have sizable minority populations. He didn’t say the election got stolen in Salt Lake City. He linked theft with Blackness, with the assault on American democracy, with folks stealing something valuable from hard working white Americans. So when they’re carrying the Confederate flag through the halls of Congress, that is invoking whiteness as citizenship. And the threat to that citizenship is not that white supremacy that’s embedded in that Confederate flag, but it is all of these others—this “great replacement.” All of these other non-Americans are coming to steal our culture, to steal our political power, to steal our democracy.
Those racist beliefs are so often intertwined with a fixation on the right to bear arms.
Think about how Reuters did that review of threats against election officials and poll workers, and how consistently you saw the Second Amendment invoked as a threat against those who were trying to make sure that every vote was counted. That was their sense of: This is our country and they are trying to steal it. It’s the same thing that the Buffalo killer said.
Continued here:
The Dangerous Idea That Links the Buffalo Shooting and the Insurrection
the vast majority of gun crimes are done by black people...not that you would care

Forum List

Back