The Cookbook

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
That has served three generations is still going strong.
The Joy of Cooking was first self published in 1831 so how did it avoid the fate all cookbooks suffer? Simple, it adapted with the times it did not become a historical microcosm metaphorically trapped in amber, representative of era in which it was written.

joy-of-cooking-90-years-FT-MAG1218.jpg

Not bad for a cookbook.........

The Joy of Cooking was first self published in 1831 so how did it avoid the fate all cookbooks suffer? Simple, it adapted with the times it did not become a historical microcosm metaphorically trapped in amber, representative of era in which it was written.

I've never gone wrong using recipes from Joy. If you read the opening of each chapter, such as the science behind making a good meringue, it will increase the chances of success.

I've had cookbooks with GREAT pictures that sound good but I swear the recipes were never tried out or there are flagrant typos somewhere. That doesn't happen in Joy.

There is one on my shelf but I have never used it. I got it for my son.

I'm a little bit ADHD with my cooking.

I would love to make a cookbook. I really would. I actually did make one by request for friends/family.

I usually pull up a few recipes for the same dish on the internet, leave out the things I don't like, add the things I do like, cook it up, then force it down because I spent so much time on it and don't want to throw it away.

:laughing0301:

I would love to make a cookbook. I really would. I actually did make one by request for friends/family.

I usually pull up a few recipes for the same dish on the internet, leave out the things I don't like, add the things I do like, cook it up, then force it down because I spent so much time on it and don't want to throw it away.

lol
yeah that is not really going to work.

lol
yeah that is not really going to work.

Well, sometimes I get lucky. But don't ask me to duplicate the results.

Forum List

Back