'The Constitutional Flaw That's Killing American Democracy'

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
The damage the Trump administration did to American freedoms and democracy is difficult to measure. For most of us the damage is irrelevant - to our personal lives - but for others, personal freedom and even our environment, it is a tragedy.

"The recent set of watershed Supreme Court opinions pulsates with the language of democratic accountability. Dobbs v. Jackson, overruling Roe v. Wade, makes its refrain the promise to “return” the abortion question "to the people and their elected representatives." Concurring in West Virginia v. EPA, which restricts regulators' ability to decarbonize the electricity grid, Justice Neil Gorsuch explained that the point of the decision was to keep power in the hands of "the people's representatives" rather than "a ruling class of largely unaccountable 'ministers.'" In New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen, which struck down New York State’s 117-year-old limitation on carrying weapons, Justice Clarence Thomas presented the Court's severe, originalist approach to the Second Amendment as a vindication of a judgment 'by the people' against wishy-washy federal judges who had let the restriction stand. Indeed, while these opinions have little in common besides their conservative outcomes—Dobbs eliminated a personal right, Bruen expanded a right, and West Virginia curtailed agency interpretations of statutes such as the Clean Air Act—they all claim to protect the rightful power of "the people.""

'David Litt: A court without precedent'

"Liberal critics, in turn, have appealed to democracy in attacking the Court as "radical" and "illegitimate." Majorities tend to support abortion rights, climate action, and gun control, they point out, so whatever mythic "people" the justices have in mind, they are going against those people as they actually exist today. Calls to add justices to the Court, deny it jurisdiction over certain cases, or even impeach some conservative justices all come in the name of greater democratic control. Some progressives hope to get back to a more democratic Constitution, whether it is in the spirit of the reformist Warren Court of the 1950s and '60s (the Court that gave us Brown v. Board of Education and the one-person-one-vote principle); the New Deal vision of a "second bill of rights," including rights to good work and economic security; or even an 'abolition constitution' rooted in radical traditions of freedom and equality."

"ZOMG the court is ruling with reason and the constitution instead of muh feelz"
1662035205418.png

LOL the usual childish name calling, any wonder they are Trump cult members. LOL

For the readers, the thinkers, those who steer their boat and don't look to false gods for leadership.

'The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control' Steven Hassan

LOL the usual childish name calling, any wonder they are Trump cult members. LOL

For the readers, the thinkers, those who steer their boat and don't look to false gods for leadership.

'The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control' Steven Hassan

Done got your ass whooped so you derail your own thread lolz
Could have at least waited till page 2 :rofl:

Dear Mr. midcan5, I think that you mean well, and you support some good causes, but you are missing the elephant sitting in the living room of American homes. That elephant was the theft and abuse of the polls in 2020, which your leaders only cause is to outshout the majority of Americans whose voting rights were abused with numerous cases of intentionally counting mailed-in votes from parts unknown that were unfortunately written by one or two people by the thousands in each precinct reception boxes mainly in swing states. We are still getting court ordered recounts, and they are still favoring Donald Trump precisely where our information was upheld. I'm not certain how this is going to turn out, but in spite of the uphill traveling we must do, we are going to fiord each and every stumbling block the deep state leaders will continue to think they can place before us, the majority of American voters. Calling our efforts "dangerous" doesn't cut the mustard when criminal activity was obviously rampant in 2020. The truth is coming out and hard-core hopers are rejecting the truth. We're not going to allow computers to dominate in our elections ever again. It worked once, but it gave us a reference to trusting machines that merely do as told. The future tellers will be the voters, not the computers that can be quicklessly and effortlessly maneuvered by criminal intentions of one party over another. We also may be seeing purple thumb- or finger-prints on ballots since the printing of fake identifications could do the same thing compromised computers can do. We are chary, very concerned, and willing to take our chances so long as we are convinced that voters choose the next set of legislators, elected in all fairness to the truth, with reverence to individual states' rights, that do likewise. We have a good reason to stay united. And that is maintaining our love for freedom, independence, mercy to those who call upon us to save their lives from murderous regimes that do not deserve to throw innocent people into mass graves. You might be surprised that our green goals to clean up the oceans of its plastic dumps are the same as yours. You might be surprised that we love an environment that does not allow specie annihilation from our waste products, the same as you. We can do these things together, but stamping your feet and saying that the 2020 election wasn't a cheater's paradise is a mistaken saying, and it's being proven, one intensive investigation after another. Let's let the facts come out without further ado. We deserve to know what the findings furnish, not be plunged back into the toilet of treachery. Thank you for considering allowing the investigations to go forth, and overseen equally by both Democrats and Republicans who are esteemed for their belief in the truth. If we don't allow the truth to come out, we may as well be lawless as in people murdering other people because police in their areas were defunded. 98% of the police force work flawlessly to protect the innocent and prevent evildoers from murdering others with their guns, knives, and even their bare hands. The defunding idea was wrong. Stifling the checking of voter fraud is just as bad as defunding the police to maintain order on the streets of America and resulted in bankruptcies of those whose lives and livelihoods were destroyed by criminal conduct that was directly affected by defunding the police.

The damage the Trump administration did to American freedoms and democracy is difficult to measure. For most of us the damage is irrelevant - to our personal lives - but for others, personal freedom and even our environment, it is a tragedy.

"The recent set of watershed Supreme Court opinions pulsates with the language of democratic accountability. Dobbs v. Jackson, overruling Roe v. Wade, makes its refrain the promise to “return” the abortion question "to the people and their elected representatives." Concurring in West Virginia v. EPA, which restricts regulators' ability to decarbonize the electricity grid, Justice Neil Gorsuch explained that the point of the decision was to keep power in the hands of "the people's representatives" rather than "a ruling class of largely unaccountable 'ministers.'" In New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen, which struck down New York State’s 117-year-old limitation on carrying weapons, Justice Clarence Thomas presented the Court's severe, originalist approach to the Second Amendment as a vindication of a judgment 'by the people' against wishy-washy federal judges who had let the restriction stand. Indeed, while these opinions have little in common besides their conservative outcomes—Dobbs eliminated a personal right, Bruen expanded a right, and West Virginia curtailed agency interpretations of statutes such as the Clean Air Act—they all claim to protect the rightful power of "the people.""

'David Litt: A court without precedent'

"Liberal critics, in turn, have appealed to democracy in attacking the Court as "radical" and "illegitimate." Majorities tend to support abortion rights, climate action, and gun control, they point out, so whatever mythic "people" the justices have in mind, they are going against those people as they actually exist today. Calls to add justices to the Court, deny it jurisdiction over certain cases, or even impeach some conservative justices all come in the name of greater democratic control. Some progressives hope to get back to a more democratic Constitution, whether it is in the spirit of the reformist Warren Court of the 1950s and '60s (the Court that gave us Brown v. Board of Education and the one-person-one-vote principle); the New Deal vision of a "second bill of rights," including rights to good work and economic security; or even an 'abolition constitution' rooted in radical traditions of freedom and equality."

5q0qd2.jpg

Oops did I give away my sockiness?

No, he doesn't.
He or she is a very gifted poet, Mr. Oddball. I was just trying to appeal to his intellect's better side. Someone has to take the first step to peace on earth when there is a dearth of peace. I once taught my Sunday school class a song. Its first verse was "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." I do my best to maintain what I believe in, and I do believe peace on earth will elude us if we don't at least try to make peace with our own neighbors and countrymen. I'd do it again if we could get past today's animosities that are dividing the two aisles in congress and the Senate due to key people wishing bad things on the other aisle with self-righteous compunctions. If peace is to be had, it will come from the greater congregation of Americans. Maybe someone who is very important here will understand better things than I can come up with that will hit a chord in the hearts of the American people. I feel we have people here who are gifted enough to bring peace to this continent first so our society can convince nations shaking the nuclear booty to cool off and go shoulder to shoulder with peacemakers on earth to have mercy on each other and people who pray in their closets at night for God's mercy on mankind by giving us an incentive to give and take with adversaries without losing sight of what it takes to maintain freedom for all the people, not just some of the people. That way, we can come together and solve real problems that have been dumped in our laps along with the practice of the Alinsky method that basically brings freedom and trust way down.

I do believe that peace was meant to be, and that it is attainable in ways that do not set off nuclear weaponry.

Last edited:
He or she is a very gifted poet, Mr. Oddball. I was just trying to appeal to his intellect's better side. Someone has to take the first step to peace on earth when there is a dearth of peace. I once taught my Sunday school class a song. Its first verse was "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." I do my best to maintain what I believe in, and I do believe peace on earth will elude us if we don't at least try to make peace with our own neighbors and countrymen. I'd do it again if we could get past today's animosities that are dividing the two aisles in congress and the Senate due to key people wishing bad things on the other aisle with self-righteous compunctions. If peace is to be had, it will come from the greater congregation of Americans. Maybe someone who is very important here will understand better things than I can come up with that will hit a chord in the hearts of the American people. I feel we have people here who are gifted enough to bring peace to this continent first so our society can convince nations shaking the nuclear booty to cool off and go shoulder to shoulder with peacemakers on earth to have mercy on each other and people who pray in their closets at night for God's mercy on mankind by giving us an incentive to give and take with adversaries without losing sight of what it takes to maintain freedom for all the people, not just some of the people. That way, we can come together and solve real problems that have been dumped in our laps along with the practice of the Alinsky method that basically brings freedom and trust way down.
You're wasting your time with that one....He's better than you, and will spare no opportunity to tell you all about it.

Never mind the fact that the first guy to call you on your bullshit is an anarchist who doesn't vote at all.

And you wonder why the real thinkers point and laugh as your faux intellectual windbaggery.

You're as big a supercilious, overbearing, blowhard as ever.

You're wasting your time with that one....He's better than you, and will spare no opportunity to tell you all about it.
He may well be better than me. He's not dead yet, and God has a way of changing people's hearts and putting them in charge in ways that bring peace that wasn't able to be before. We had a saying a few years back that said, "Please be patient with me. God hasn't finished with me yet." I recommend it to paint that thought on the aisle between what seems to be impossible today but with prayerful earnestness, we can overcome divisions and hold hands together with respect and caring for others. It's too bad we don't seem to have another Billy Graham who was a welcome visitor to the White House in consecutive administrations, some right, and some left while I was growing up. A blessing on your head, sir, with much admiration for your pluck.

Forum List

Back