The Civil War

TrumpSucks

Sep 17, 2020
The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?

The Civil War was all about slavery, OK? It wasn't the War of Northern Aggression or the War Between the States. That's bullshit. It was a Civil War, and it was about slavery. Denying that is like denying that the Nazis murdered millions of Jews in concentration camps... oh, wait, you deny that, too?
The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

No you silly person; the Civil War was about $....as usual.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg

Only it wasn't.
If Lincoln had stated that he was going to ban slavery and emancipate the slaves and the South refused. Then you could say it was fought over slavery but that never happened. Lincoln had no intention of banning slavery. It was just that as Sherman had pushed deep into Georgia it was a smart military tactic to cause maximum disruption.

And I'm as left-wing as you can get.

Only it wasn't.
If Lincoln had stated that he was going to ban slavery and emancipate the slaves and the South refused. Then you could say it was fought over slavery but that never happened. Lincoln had no intention of banning slavery. It was just that as Sherman had pushed deep into Georgia it was a smart military tactic to cause maximum disruption.

And I'm as left-wing as you can get.
There's an old movie about the life of Lincoln where he ties a cart to the end of a village "tug-o-war" to beat his opponents when his side was losing. The lecturer was surprised when I connected the "wagon" with "slavery" as an issue. What was the film trying to tell us?? (ps: I was there for the free movie with a lass; not the humanities course).

Greg

The end of slavery was one of the eventual outcomes of the war. Odd that every other country that had slaves was able to ban slavery without killing a million of its own citizens...UK and France for example.

Make no mistake; that slavery was ended was a good thing and overdue. You must also be aware that the North DESTROYED the South's ECONOMY. No money for reparations.

Greg
Uhm, that's a non-answer if I've ever heard one not to mention I recognise at least 2 logical fallacies.

Wether or not other countries were capable of abolishing slavery has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the US was. That's a red herring.

The same goes for your "it was about money"

The fact of the matter was that their was 1 and only 1 reason for the civil war and that was slavery. Specifically the issue of slavery being allowed to expand into new territories. An issue that caused the South to secede when Lincoln was elected.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?

Slave owners were people of illl repute. Too lazy to do the work themselves and too cheap to actually pay for labor. To believe another human could actually be property is unfathomable. To use lashing and whipping to control a group of people was inhumane and repugnant.

Greg
The North destroyed the South's economy because the South made war upon the North. Remember Fort Sumpter?
I do remember. Do you remember that they shot at Sumpter because they seceded from the Union? Do you remember the reason they did that?

No , the CW was about keeping slavery from the South’s perspective
From the North : they did not want to lose the $$$ in the vast agricultural of the south

Greg
I do remember. Do you remember that they shot at Sumpter because they seceded from the Union? Do you remember the reason they did that?
Yes, it was because they wanted to keep their slaves.

If it was only about slavery, why did Lincoln offer to make slavery a Constitutional right so long as the Southern states came back into the Union?

That largely depends on when and where you grew up.

I grew up in the North in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore the Civil War was about slavery.

Had I grown up in the South I would have learned it was about states rights and was a war of northern aggression.

Greg
Yes, it was because they wanted to keep their slaves.
LOL sorry just noticed we are in agreement. My bad.

Slave owners were people of illl repute. Too lazy to do the work themselves and too cheap to actually pay for labor. To believe another human could actually be property is unfathomable. To use lashing and whipping to control a group of people was inhumane and repugnant.
Oh, yes, slave owners were people of ill repute! That is completely ridiculous. If you're seriously going to advance that position, you'd better put forward some evidence...

Greg
Uhm, that's a non-answer if I've ever heard one not to mention I recognise at least 2 logical fallacies.

Wether or not other countries were capable of abolishing slavery has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the US was. That's a red herring.

The same goes for your "it was about money"

The fact of the matter was that their was 1 and only 1 reason for the civil war and that was slavery. Specifically the issue of slavery being allowed to expand into new territories. An issue that caused the South to secede when Lincoln was elected.
Nope. you are wrong.

You from Yorkshire by any chance??

Greg

That largely depends on when and where you grew up.

I grew up in the North in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore the Civil War was about slavery.

Had I grown up in the South I would have learned it was about states rights and was a war of northern aggression.

Yeah, well, the facts are the facts -- and this was the era before alternative facts.

If it was only about slavery, why did Lincoln offer to make slavery a Constitutional right so long as the Southern states came back into the Union?
When did Lincoln do that?

Forum List

Back