The chef is in!

so Jester you retired - was it a lawsuit for food poisoning?
No neofrenchie. The Puck corporation made an offer on my place here in So-cal that I couldn't refuse. It's made me wealthy beyond my wildest dreams. I still own the controlling interest on the place in Vegas, but my former sous-chef and business partner runs the day to day. I just collect a check every month for doing nothing. After all, it's my money, credit, recipes and concept that got the place rolling.

what is in the special sauce?

For which one? McDonald's is Thousand Island with extra paprika. Burger King has none. Jack in the Box is onion mayo. Taco Bell has hot sauce. Wendy's has none.

wow...you are a real cheap date!

No, I worked at a Burger King when I was young, as a side job, loved it so much, the rush, the stress, the sheer energy required to work I quit my other job and made a career out of it. Turned into one of the best managers in the area but I didn't like management, so I left and went to work at others, every time they tried to get me to be manager or cashier I would switch businesses. I loved the kitchen, and when in it, I was the kitchen.

No neofrenchie. The Puck corporation made an offer on my place here in So-cal that I couldn't refuse. It's made me wealthy beyond my wildest dreams. I still own the controlling interest on the place in Vegas, but my former sous-chef and business partner runs the day to day. I just collect a check every month for doing nothing. After all, it's my money, credit, recipes and concept that got the place rolling.

well I have to tip my hat to ya.... you worked hard and are living the dream. I guess you will be posting more often since you have more time on your hands and that should be a laugh.

Last edited:

well I have to tip my hat to ya.... you worked hard and and are living the dream. I guess you will be posting more often since you have more time on your hands and that should be a laugh.

Maybe he can write a USMB cookbook! :eusa_think:

That's right. i'm a clasically trained Le Cordon Bleu certified proffesional chef, now retired. Food is my passion. Let's discuss!
If you have questions, recipes, dining experiences etc., I would love to engage in conversation!
Also, there is another proffesional chef up here that goes by the moniker of ''Willing Sniper". If you see him up here, direct him towards these threads. He too is a wealth of culinary knowledge.

Do you have some ideas for developing good tasting, low calorie, low sodium meals? I've been quite happy with using heat, red pepper flakes, cumin, etc., in lowering the use of salt. I'd say the basis of my menus have been rice or pasta, heavy on veggies, and perhaps 3 oz of protein. I'd love some new ideas!

You're on the right track. It's all about substituting flavors in place of salt. Salt brings out a foods flavor. It's all about finding the substitutes that you enjoy, and also pulls the flavor from the food. Give me a couple o' days to go through my recipes, I have thousands in my database, and I'll try and find the most memorable for ya'.
One of my favorite low salt tricks is using low sodium soy sauce. Salt is Soy sauces main flavor profile, and "kikkomans" low sodium soy sauce is an excellent substitute. Try using it to marinade proteins in. My favorite is a simple flank stank marinated in it for two-three days.
Also, you can go up on Epicurious.com. They've got an excellent database of any kind of recipe you may be looking for. But, i'll go through mine and see what I can come up with.

well I have to tip my hat to ya.... you worked hard and and are living the dream. I guess you will be posting more often since you have more time on your hands and that should be a laugh.

A section for vegetarians and good recipes for low sodium. ;) Nothing self-serving about us! LOL!

A section for vegetarians and good recipes for low sodium. ;) Nothing self-serving about us! LOL!

Ah, but see how healthy we are from our excellent eating habits! ;)

That would be kind of cool...................

But really.....it's pretty clear where you work.

anus-burger.jpg

That's right. i'm a clasically trained Le Cordon Bleu certified proffesional chef, now retired. Food is my passion. Let's discuss!
If you have questions, recipes, dining experiences etc., I would love to engage in conversation!
Also, there is another proffesional chef up here that goes by the moniker of ''Willing Sniper". If you see him up here, direct him towards these threads. He too is a wealth of culinary knowledge.

Do you have some ideas for developing good tasting, low calorie, low sodium meals? I've been quite happy with using heat, red pepper flakes, cumin, etc., in lowering the use of salt. I'd say the basis of my menus have been rice or pasta, heavy on veggies, and perhaps 3 oz of protein. I'd love some new ideas!

You're on the right track. It's all about substituting flavors in place of salt. Salt brings out a foods flavor. It's all about finding the substitutes that you enjoy, and also pulls the flavor from the food. Give me a couple o' days to go through my recipes, I have thousands in my database, and I'll try and find the most memorable for ya'.
One of my favorite low salt tricks is using low sodium soy sauce. Salt is Soy sauces main flavor profile, and "kikkomans" low sodium soy sauce is an excellent substitute. Try using it to marinade proteins in. My favorite is a simple flank stank marinated in it for two-three days.
Also, you can go up on Epicurious.com. They've got an excellent database of any kind of recipe you may be looking for. But, i'll go through mine and see what I can come up with.
"Le Cordon Bleu"
Please tell me it wasn't the franchised hack assed American version.

Nah, mine comes from the actual academy in France. Hated living there, but the academy was excellent.
But, the best I've seen here in the states come from CSCA in Pasadena. I've gotten some excellent interns from there. A couple of them have gone on to become excellent chefs. It all depends on who's running the show at these schools, and the quality of the chef instructors. You know how it is, Willing.

Last edited:
Do you have a recipe for old-fashioned sourdough starter? The kind that sits in a crock on the counter, and to use you just add flour and whatever intermittenly, use it for whatever?

My mom had one batch of sourdough for about 4 years when I was younger. Whenever we wanted sourdough pancakes, waffles, biscuits or bread (though usually she didn't use it for bread, we usually had beautiful, plain white bread).

I don't remember what it started with...buttermilk, and a little sugar, and a little flour?

I don't want to kill my family experimenting with it. Though probably with those ingredients, I wouldn't.

okay latest fad...honey frozen in decorative shapes...can you just mold it or is there a special way to do it?

and i need a good recipe for a basic ginger sauce...for shrimp etc...

Question 1:

In your opinion is it really worth the extra money to buy EXTRA virgin olive oil?

I use olive oil both to cook with and eat it as a salad dressing. FYI: I typically stick with Italian OO, and do you think that the Spanish OO is inferior?

Question 2:

What's the best way to cook artichoke and what dressing/sauce do you think works well with it while not masking its taste?

Question 3:

What's your recipe for mayonaise?

Question 4

Why on earth does anybody eat endive?

Question 1:

In your opinion is it really worth the extra money to buy EXTRA virgin olive oil?

imo...yes the extra virgin is worth is but it depends on the use....i only use extra for dips etc...not cooking...i think it has to do with the processing of the oil.

I use olive oil both to cook with and eat it as a salad dressing. FYI: I typically stick with Italian OO, and do you think that the Spanish OO is inferior?

Question 2:

What's the best way to cook artichoke and what dressing/sauce do you think works well with it while not masking its taste?

articokes are easy....just trim the bottom....and the leaves...and the top...lol....put in a steamer and steam about 45 minutes....i turn them bottom up to steam....and of course...served them with....(best julia child voice)....butttteeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr

Question 3:

What's your recipe for mayonaise?

duke's
Question 4

Why on earth does anybody eat endive?

i simply cant answer that

Forum List

Back