The case that Jesus is dead - The Bible itself

Yes, but afaik all his miracles were performed when he was alive and standing in close proximity to people. None when someone prayed to him after he was executed. Nor in the short span of time he was "alive" again and walking around.

He died and came back, just like Jonah.

wrong again----Jonah did not die-----he fell into the drink and
a kindly big fish gave him a ride. I consider the book of Jonah-(and for that matter, the book of Job--also in the tanach and the book of jasher which did not make it to the tanach) --to be a midrashic writing. A kind of allegorical tale made as a kind
of teaching and moralistic thing
They are VERY sublime writings----way above your 'head' penelope. As to the "rising of Jesus"----not for me to say

a kindly big fish gave him a ride. I consider the book of Jonah-(and for that matter, the book of Job--also in the tanach and the book of jasher which did not make it to the tanach) --to be a midrashic writing. A kind of allegorical tale made as a kind
They are VERY sublime writings----way above your 'head' penelope. As to the "rising of Jesus"----not for me to say

But Jonah did die. Aside from the physical impossibility of staying alive inside of a sea creature, Jonah is a type of Christ as alluded to here:

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matt 12:40)

So it stands to reason that if Jesus died for three days, so did Jonah.

Yes, but afaik all his miracles were performed when he was alive and standing in close proximity to people. None when someone prayed to him after he was executed. Nor in the short span of time he was "alive" again and walking around.

He was alive, and seen by hundreds of witnesses before ascending into heaven. Your exegetical method of asserting part of the gospels while disregarding others leaves much to be desired. And not only Jesus, but many others who were dead rose as well when Jesus was crucified, this too seen by many witnesses. I don't know what your agenda is with this as there's no body of belief that thinks of Jesus as dead today.

But Jesus said he would rise like Jonah after 3 days in the whale. If this is just a story then Jesus lied? Or maybe even the Jesus stories are also just stories?

But Jesus said he would rise like Jonah after 3 days in the whale. If this is just a story then Jesus lied? Or maybe even the Jesus stories are also just stories?

I do not recall jesus saying "I will rise after 3 days"-----3 days of
what------being latched onto a fish?-

Jesus said he would come back or rise after 3 days just as Jonah....look it up. And you're a christian but font know this?

Its a big argument among christians. Conservative christians say because Jesus said it that means it happened literally because Jesus said it matter of fact.

I'm on my phone. Google it and get back to me.

Matt 12 40. I found it very easily. Quit being a typical ignorant lazy christian.

It's nothing more than a flame thread.
Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to General Alexander Smyth, Jan. 17, 1825

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Other than myself and Penelope, I haven't seen any other Christians on this thread.

maybe because we know better than to feed the troll.

It's kinda my fault. He tried to pull the "Jesus is dead" crap on my thread: Letting God say no. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum and I told him to start his own thread on the topic.

No Christians responded to that thread either.
sad-019.gif

It's nothing more than a flame thread.

the common law existed while the Anglo-Saxons were yet pagans, at a time when they had never yet heard the name of Christ pronounced or knew that such a character existed.
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Major John Cartwright, June 5, 1824 (see Positive Atheism's Historical section)

Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law.-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Forum List

Back