CDZ The case for a Universal Income

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
DEBATE: Should the UK trial a temporary Universal Basic Income?

Much discussion about this at the moment. People being made redundant or told to stay at home will struggle over an extended period.

Unemployment benefit is £50/£60 a week I think but it takes 6 weeks to get it. Sick pay is around £90. Add 25% to convert to dollars.

That doesn't go very far these days.

Its time to rebalance our society. We have never been so well off and technology has generally made our lives easier than ever.

But we still work like dogs and millions are one payslip away from debt.

Plusses - Crime would decrease, poverty as well. The economy would get a boost,malnutricion, poverty related diseases would decrease.
Wages would increase as people would not be forced into shitty low paid work.
We would all be more content.

Minuses - cost.

I don't have a workable solution to this but in 2020 I thought we would be going to work like The Jetsons used to in flying cars. Instead we worry about feeding our kids and keeping warm and sheltered.

Much discussion about this at the moment. People being made redundant or told to stay at home will struggle over an extended period.

Unemployment benefit is £50/£60 a week I think but it takes 6 weeks to get it. Sick pay is around £90. Add 25% to convert to dollars.

Its time to rebalance our society. We have never been so well off and technology has generally made our lives easier than ever.

Plusses - Crime would decrease, poverty as well. The economy would get a boost,malnutricion, poverty related diseases would decrease.

Minuses - cost.

I don't have a workable solution to this but in 2020 I thought we would be going to work like The Jetsons used to in flying cars. Instead we worry about feeding our kids and keeping warm and sheltered.
when you pay people not to work, they won't work, GDP goes down, standard of living goes down

th

The local recruiter is looking for a few good men and women there Tommy if you're so interested in a universal income. I'm sure we can have you do some good work while you enjoy that pay. There's always ditches to dig, ditches and parks to walk and clean up, natural disaster areas that require assistance, potholes to fill, parks to rack, snow that needs to be moved, etc, etc, etc,...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:

Minuses - cost.

If I got Universal Income, what would the incentive be for working?

Minuses - cost.

Why do millionaires work now ? People will always want more. Not everybody but that's ok.

Minuses - cost.

Why do millionaires work now ? People will always want more. Not everybody but that's ok.

Wouldn’t universal income pay for anyone that wanted it? I see no point of working, I could retire, take liberals income and travel. Finally someone paying for my stuff, thanks for working and allowing me time to live off your dime.

Last edited:

Minuses - cost.

A more viable approach would be a program where unemployment insurance is paid to those underemployed until such time as they return to fulltime employment or a previous payrate.

For example, a worker loses his $25 an hour job due to a layoff.

He can find a fulltime job at $10 an hour and he would receive insurance payments the equivalent of $15 an hour to bring him up to his previous pay rate to meet his financial obligations.

He would be required to continue to look for work at his previous payrate or risk losing unemployment insurance.

The insurance payment could also be linked to his state’s unemployment rate, where the payment would end once the state’s unemployment rate decreases to a certain level.

Minuses - cost.

A more viable approach would be a program where unemployment insurance is paid to those underemployed until such time as they return to fulltime employment or a previous payrate.

For example, a worker loses his $25 an hour job due to a layoff.

He can find a fulltime job at $10 an hour and he would receive insurance payments the equivalent of $15 an hour to bring him up to his previous pay rate to meet his financial obligations.

He would be required to continue to look for work at his previous payrate or risk losing unemployment insurance.

The insurance payment could also be linked to his state’s unemployment rate, where the payment would end once the state’s unemployment rate decreases to a certain level.

I like some aspects of that.

However, it seems like we could personalize S.S. (not privatize it) and mix in unemployement insurance.

Lose your job, you can draw from your S.S. to a point.

Lots of nuances....but a good discussion point.

Thanks.

The UK has had a 'universal income' for centuries ... for the select few.

GettyImages-1154589234-2067bc1.jpg

Minuses - cost.

Wouldn’t universal income pay for anyone that wanted it? I see no point of working, I could retire, take liberals income and travel. Finally someone paying for my stuff, thanks for working and allowing me time to live off your dime.
I dont think it would finance a life of luxury. I see it as something that would keep you warm , dry and fed. These arent huge aspirations.

The population of the UK is roughly 66 million. Let's say 50 million adults for simplicity sake.

A stipend of 500 Pounds a month will run the taxpayers 6,000 pounds per adult or 300 Billion Pounds annually.

500 pounds a month might pay the rent on a South London single apartment (or a fairly clean bedsit), leaving nothing left over for food, utilities, or any sort of life.

Just to make things worse, the introduction of 300 Billion Pounds into the generally economy can't but have an inflationary effect on prices. Meaning a first year baseline of 300 Billion Pounds could spiral to the Trillions of Pounds in just a few years.

Minuses - cost.

I dont think it would finance a life of luxury. I see it as something that would keep you warm , dry and fed. These arent huge aspirations.
Traveling in a nice Motorcoach would be all I’d want. I don’t want luxury. I want simple and quiet. And liberals would fund it.

Minuses - cost.

Traveling in a nice Motorcoach would be all I’d want. I don’t want luxury. I want simple and quiet. And liberals would fund it.
Quite fancy that myself. I would like to drive across the US to see the sights. The Alamo,Little Big Horn , those big trees and stuff. Mrs T is pondering on it.

Forum List

Back