The Browns historic collapse deserves a thread.. you really can't believe how crazy this was.

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
I'm a browns fan, and this one hurt, but it was actually IMPRESSIVE as to how they managed to lose the game. Here's the sequence of events:

1. Nick Chubb runs into the end zone for a TD, making the score 30-17 with 1:55 to go in the 4th quarter.
2. Big-legged Cade York missed the Xtra point.
3. The Jets get the ball back, and the Browns secondary completely blows coverage right away, allowing a Jets reciever to simply sprint down the field in a straight line and score from approx 70 yards out. Browns lead cut to 24-30.
4. Onside Kick, Jets recover
5. Flacco throws multiple quick outs to recievers getting out of bounds, but also throws 2 passes across the middle that were dropped, which is key as them dropping it was actually a better outcome as they were out of timeouts, and they didn't eat up the clock.
6. Finally, Flacco torched the Browns secondary for a rocket TD pass against the clueless Browns secondary. 30-30.
7. Xtra point good, 31-30.
8. Browns get the ball back with 22 seconds, and actually gain some yardage to be in position to give their kicker (who drilled a 58 yard game winner last week) a chance at similar heroics.
9. Brisset, who had been fine all game, finally threw an errant pass that was picked off, sealing the game.

Up 30-17, with 1:55 left and the Jets deep in their own territory, the likelihood of victory was predicted at 99.9%.

Who is to blame? The Browns secondary. For the second straight week, they allowed a reciever to simply run down the field and catch a pass wide open due to miscommunication in the 4th quarter, as the safety and corner both left the reciever, assuming the other would pick them up. When I say wide open, I mean WIDE OPEN.

Sure, Cade York missed the extra point at 30-17, but I don't put it on him or Brissett for the INT on the last drive. You had Flacco and the Jets deep in their own territory down 13 with 1:55 left and they had no timeouts.

This speaks to modern football strategy. I don't blame Nick Chubb for running into the end zone and making a 24-17 game into a 30-17 game.. but.. seriously.. had he knelt down, the Browns would have easily run out the clock and won the game. Scoring the TD actually gave the Jets the ball, and giving them the ball allowed opportunities for a score and an onside kick, which is what happened. Coaches need to plan for this, and make their players aware to NOT score in such situations, because if the other team gets the ball, they have the ball, and a hope. Kneeling out the clock? They have no hope, no chance.

1663635125616.png

I'm a browns fan, and this one hurt, but it was actually IMPRESSIVE as to how they managed to lose the game. Here's the sequence of events:

1. Nick Chubb runs into the end zone for a TD, making the score 30-17 with 1:55 to go in the 4th quarter.
3. The Jets get the ball back, and the Browns secondary completely blows coverage right away, allowing a Jets reciever to simply sprint down the field in a straight line and score from approx 70 yards out. Browns lead cut to 24-30.
5. Flacco throws multiple quick outs to recievers getting out of bounds, but also throws 2 passes across the middle that were dropped, which is key as them dropping it was actually a better outcome as they were out of timeouts, and they didn't eat up the clock.
6. Finally, Flacco torched the Browns secondary for a rocket TD pass against the clueless Browns secondary. 30-30.
8. Browns get the ball back with 22 seconds, and actually gain some yardage to be in position to give their kicker (who drilled a 58 yard game winner last week) a chance at similar heroics.
9. Brisset, who had been fine all game, finally threw an errant pass that was picked off, sealing the game.

Up 30-17, with 1:55 left and the Jets deep in their own territory, the likelihood of victory was predicted at 99.9%.

Who is to blame? The Browns secondary. For the second straight week, they allowed a reciever to simply run down the field and catch a pass wide open due to miscommunication in the 4th quarter, as the safety and corner both left the reciever, assuming the other would pick them up. When I say wide open, I mean WIDE OPEN.

Sure, Cade York missed the extra point at 30-17, but I don't put it on him or Brissett for the INT on the last drive. You had Flacco and the Jets deep in their own territory down 13 with 1:55 left and they had no timeouts.

This speaks to modern football strategy. I don't blame Nick Chubb for running into the end zone and making a 24-17 game into a 30-17 game.. but.. seriously.. had he knelt down, the Browns would have easily run out the clock and won the game. Scoring the TD actually gave the Jets the ball, and giving them the ball allowed opportunities for a score and an onside kick, which is what happened. Coaches need to plan for this, and make their players aware to NOT score in such situations, because if the other team gets the ball, they have the ball, and a hope. Kneeling out the clock? They have no hope, no chance.
Who’s to blame? The coaching staff.

Who’s to blame? The coaching staff.
Cetainly. This is the 2nd straight week the browns allowed an uncovered, untouched reciever to waltz 60+ yards on a simple bomb from the QB (Baker did it last week).. and in the 4th quarter no less.

Our secondary is wayyyy too confident. This is junior high football stuff. The players acted stupidly, but of course, it falls on the defensive coaches who didn't have their players ready to be effective in such a situation.

Cetainly. This is the 2nd straight week the browns allowed an uncovered, untouched reciever to waltz 60+ yards on a simple bomb from the QB (Baker did it last week).. and in the 4th quarter no less.

Our secondary is wayyyy too confident. This is junior high football stuff. The players acted stupidly, but of course, it falls on the defensive coaches who didn't have their players ready to be effective in such a situation.
My Raiders were up 20-0 and lost 29-23 to Arizona in OT. It’s going to be a long season.

I feel for the Browns fans.

Always have.

One day you will win the big game.
One of my best memories is the parade we put on, attended by thousands, after we went 0-16. It was incredibly cold, under 0 deg F. We marched around the stadium. It was glorious.

The key was the Jets had no time outs

In addition to allowing a 64 yd TD pass with no effort to cover deep, they allowed the Jets to repeatedly complete sideline routes instead of forcing them up the middle

Last edited:
Is the OP old enough to remember the playoff games against the Broncos?
What a heartbreaker for the Browns. It was a really good game and Byner was going to score but of course the Browns being the Browns he fumbled right at the goal line. Byner went on to get a Super Bowl and the Browns are still the Browns. Chubb and Hunt are the best RB duo in the league and the Browns are still the Browns.

Part and parcel to being a Browns fan. So many heart crushing out comes over the years. One I did not get to witness. Had a charter that day by the time I got the boat cleaned and got to the bar I was about 5 minutes late of seeing any of it. They sure had a description of what happened waiting for me at the bar.

What a heartbreaker for the Browns. It was a really good game and Byner was going to score but of course the Browns being the Browns he fumbled right at the goal line. Byner went on to get a Super Bowl and the Browns are still the Browns. Chubb and Hunt are the best RB duo in the league and the Browns are still the Browns.
:thankusmile: Indeed.Browns fans would give anything on the planet to get into a time machine and go back to the days of Marty shittenheimer.his mind would freeze up and he would always find a way to blow it fir them in the AFC championship game same as he always did in the playoffs for the chiefs.that fumble game was not his fault.that was On Byner,but all the other playoff losses were,his teams whether it was the chiefs,browns or chargers would always commit critical penalty’s at the worst possible moments in close games and that goes back to coaching.thsts whst martyball was all about. :abgg2q.jpg: :rofl:

The Browns would give anything in the world and have those days back again where they would suffer heartbreaking losses In the AFC title game with Marty shittenheimer.

Forum List

Back