The "Brat Ban" movement - I love it

The inability to discuss this intelligently and rationally and therefore resorting to childish silliness speaks for itself. Do you cry in the supermarket too? :eusa_think:

i almost did last week.

they were out of acceptable beer.
Now that's a different matter altogether. :cool:

Your shorts shrank in the dryer and are giving you quite the wedgie. Amiright?
Please do not feed the trolls. And keep in mind how well the ignore feature here works. :)

Though actually in a way I'm glad that these kids are here, as they are giving us perfect examples of the kind of kids who need to be banned from certain places. I can't wait till they start showing up in my area.

I am not a parent but I can understand that being one takes a lot of work. That being said it should not be an excuse to allow your children to behave badly in adult centered venues. The unfortunate thing there is a high enough percentage of parents that fail to teach their children to act in the appropriate manner while around an adults that has led to the 'brat ban'.

I don't actually see horrible parents vs. child-haters but rather a clash of two different lifestyles that live in similar spaces and it doesn't always work. Parents you did not always have children and I am very sure that there was a time that screaming, wailing children would have made you nauseous. After being a parent the things that used to annoy you, you now tune out. Of course you forget that other people simply are unable to tune out the noise. For people who do not have children the noise they make is horrific, jarring and simply not cute.

Now for the parents that understand this, I and others thank you and I feel bad that you and your children are lumped in the same category as parents that either don't or simply refuse to understand that there are some people that don't like young children or toddlers.

I am now speaking as a person with no children and I am going to give you my opinion on the noise children make. First I love kids and believe they should grow up in a loving and supportive environment. I used to teach children and I loved how creative and observant they are. That being said I do not enjoy the high pitched screams that young children and toddlers can produce. It hurts my ears and is as jarring as loud car horns on the street. They produce such high pitched sounds because they still have underdeveloped speaking skills and still articulate their thoughts largely through sounds and gestures.

That all being said it means there are areas where young children simply do not belong because they have not learned the proper social skills yet to understand how their actions affect others. Unfortunately there are enough parents out there that do not set a good example (or don't know how to) and have upset a large enough percentage of the population (parents and childless alike) to bring up the idea of a 'brat ban'.

There are some that have gone to extremes with their ideas of where the ban should be put into effect. Restaurants with no kiddie menus should be places where young children and toddlers should not be allowed. The restaurant is set up for adults or for children and teenagers that understand that impulsive behavior is not only rude but very dangerous. There safety measures at these restaurants are adult centered not child centered. Plus the fact that topics of discussion by the clientele are not going to be elementary school safe.

Some coffee shops are also in this category. I think that some discernment is required here as some customers are more into work, study or dating and may not appreciate the noise form young children while others simply would not care.

Now as for grocery stores, malls, public transportation (including airplanes), libraries or any place that uses parents' tax money should not have a brat ban. You know why? It's a public space you are going to have to deal with many annoying things. Deal with it. I do. I simply refuse to go shopping on a Saturday in the mall or grocery stores because there are too many people, noise and yes children that are simply too wound up on sugar. I'll go really early in the morning, very late at night or to an all organic food store and pay twice the money. Most parents don't have the disposable income to pay twice the amount on food.

Plus the fact that I think that children should go to grocery stores and malls with mom and dad. I loved it as a child. It teaches children where things come from and its a good place to teach children how to behave.

Now movie theaters.

Common sense should dictate things here. PG13 rated and under are for children. Above PG13 are for teenagers and older. They have ratings for a reason. Listen to them. PLEASE!!! If I wanted to see a movie that is PG13 I really don't have a right to complain about children because the movie was made for their age group. The adult only Harry Potter showing floored me.

Well that's all I have to say on the issue.

Forum List

Back