The bigger censorship offender- Private Sector or Government?

Censorship is censorship, regardless of if the government does it, or if the private sector does it. Our freedom of speech rights are supposed to protect us from government censorship, but the private sector is allowed to censor. On that note, who censors more speech?

For those who will be derailing this thread, here is the question again: who censors more speech- the government or the private sector? This is what the thread is about.
The private sector censors more speech. They are allowed to. It is THEIR freedom. You don't like it, don't access their platform. Boycott. Start another. Whatever.

But as a conservative, I do not agree with government telling private enterprises they must adhere to the 1st A........it only applies to government.

Is there a right to have your voice heard on a private platform? If you send them something they have a right to publish it but do they have any obligation to do so? I don't think so.
They absolutely have no obligation to publish whatever they don't want to.
That is how free enterprise works.
Sometimes you like the results, sometimes you dont. If you dont? Don't use the platform.
I am a true believer in freedom of choice and decision.
I have not used facebook or twitter for many years.
My choice, my decision....and the beauty of it? They cant force me to use it.
Thats how it works.

Private sector with the support of the government.
The government is not supporting them. It is allowing them freedom of choice as to how to run their business.
As a conservative, I hate it....but I would be a hypocrite if I disagreed with it.

Again, if we are speaking about society and general information exchange, the term "censorship" would best be reserved for something the government (or similar) does by forbidding and/or blocking information. Of course, we could call other kinds of information control "censorship", such as parents monitoring a child's reading, etc. If this is the way the o.p. wishes to use the term, obviously the government is not the most active.
If government censors, it is not illegal until someone challenges it in court and obtains a favorable decision. Censoring cases of state secrets during wartime, for example, often occur and usually stand.
Is this in regard to the second paragraph of the opening post?

It is amazing how lefties cannot talk about censorship without having to defend it. Censorship is the lifeblood of lefty ideology, so they always have to defend it when they talk about it. A simple question of who does more censoring between the government and private sector turns into lefties fighting to paint a rosy picture of this vile form of cheating.

No private entity can prevent you from exercising your right to free speech
I can't see how this is connected to the opening post.

So you basically just want people to agree with you right? You want a one word answer and no discourse right?

private sector censorship isn't censorship because you agree to the terms of the private sector entity before you are allowed to speak or write anything that will be posted on the property of that entity.

You cannot agree to the rules that allow the private sector entity to delete all or portions of your speech or writings and then call it censorship.

It is amazing how lefties cannot talk about censorship without having to defend it. Censorship is the lifeblood of lefty ideology, so they always have to defend it when they talk about it. A simple question of who does more censoring between the government and private sector turns into lefties fighting to paint a rosy picture of this vile form of cheating.

Who is a "leftie"?

I am left handed but that has nothing to do with my political leanings.

Who is a "leftie"?

Who is a "leftie"?

Once again it has been established that the private sector does censor more than the government because the government is prohibited by law to censor anyone's speech.

So why are you making such a big deal of the obvious?

Is your intention to say that any censorship by a private sector entity is just as egregious as government censorship?

Is there a right to have your voice heard on a private platform? If you send them something they have a right to publish it but do they have any obligation to do so? I don't think so.
The left wants to promote the notion that censorship is not censorship if it can be done legally or if it isn't government doing it.

You propose this question of if there is a right to have your voice heard on a private platform, but rights violations are not relevant to the meaning of censorship. Blocking and removing voices from private platforms is censorship, regardless of any rights.

Declining to publish something may or may not be censorship, each situation is unique.

It's the same thing we heard about Right wing radio not allowing liberal perspectives only (oh I mean Censoring liberal by exclusion) it's the pseudo-conns who don't like the tables being turned on them.

The left wants to promote the notion that censorship is not censorship if it can be done legally or if it isn't government doing it.

You propose this question of if there is a right to have your voice heard on a private platform, but rights violations are not relevant to the meaning of censorship. Blocking and removing voices from private platforms is censorship, regardless of any rights.

Declining to publish something may or may not be censorship, each situation is unique.

It's the same thing we heard about Right wing radio not allowing liberal perspectives only (oh I mean Censoring liberal by exclusion) it's the pseudo-conns who don't like the tables being turned on them.
I have absolutely no issue with it.
You dont appreciate how the social media platforms operate? Dont use them.
You want a social media platform express your views? Start one or support one.

It really isnt rocket science.

You know....when Starbucks opted to no longer say Merry Christmas, I stopped buying Starbucks coffee. Not because of my views of Christmas. I'm Jewish. But because I believed they caved and I didn't like it.

Did that change their bottom line? I doubt it. But did it allow me to express my sentiments? Yes.

That's how the free market works.

Obviously, there is a misunderstanding. This thread is not meant as an exchange of ideas, it was intended so that a point (of some sort) could be made on the part of the original poster.
Please ignore all "there4eyeM" contributions.

Private sector with the support of the government.
What "support"?
The turning of a blind eye when it happens silence and inaction on this is same as supporting it in my opinion.

Ok, so no legal or financial support. Just letting them do it. What is government supposed to do when private companies censor?
Fine them take tax breaks away they might be getting there are options. If we want to get real honest here when private sector censorship it’s talked about its big tech we are talking about Google, Facebook and Twitter being the biggest offenders. My suggestion we need someone to go Teddy Roosevelt on them and break up these big tech monopolies just as Roosevelt did to those back in his day.

Statism for the win!

Obviously, there is a misunderstanding. This thread is not meant as an exchange of ideas, it was intended so that a point (of some sort) could be made on the part of the original poster.
Please ignore all "there4eyeM" contributions.
Thank you. I had a pretty good idea how the thread would play out. Lefties cannot talk about censorship without defending it. Censorship is the lifeblood of lefty ideology, so they always have to defend it when they talk about it. A simple question of who does more censoring between the government and private sector turns into lefties fighting to paint a rosy picture of this vile form of cheating.

Censorship is censorship, regardless of if the government does it, or if the private sector does it. Our freedom of speech rights are supposed to protect us from government censorship, but the private sector is allowed to censor. On that note, who censors more speech?

For those who will be derailing this thread, here is the question again: who censors more speech- the government or the private sector? This is what the thread is about.

The government cannot censor the people because of the First Amendment. Not only can government not fire you for criticizing. They can't force your employer to fire you either. But business is not bound by the First Amendment, so if I don't like your politics, I can indeed fire you with impunity. The government cannot do that.

But that is exactly what Donald Trump did to Andrew McCabe, and then he attempted to prosecute him to boot. The Grand Jury could find no evidence that McCabe committed any crimes, because as Deputy Director, McCabe was the FBI Press liaison and it was his JOB to talk to the press, when Barr attempted to charge McCabe with talking to the press without authorization. This was something the IG mentioned in his report, and Barr seized on it.

There were many more government workers he forced out of government, especially in the State Department, because as a trained diplomat and member of the foreign service, she was unlikely to participate in the sort of shennanigans that Guiliani and Trump bid donor volunteers were getting up to, expecially when it came to planting evidence, and bullying foreign governments. Like Maria Yovanovich, and Colonel Vindeman. That was a violation of their rights.

Who is a "leftie"?

You want government to bully Facebook for you. That's really all this is about.

It is not about private vs public.

The same demographics behind the steal are behind the censorship...

Homos
Black democrats
Zionist jews

Homos
Black democrats
Zionist jews

Ahh... so the issues isn't so much censorship as paranoid bigotry?

Homos
Black democrats
Zionist jews

I would say ideology, that theideology of those demographics is

Anti free speech
Anti truth
Anti america

Homos
Black democrats
Zionist jews

I would say ideology, that theideology of those demographics is

Anti free speech
Anti truth
Anti america
You're bigot and a crank. Go away.

Forum List

Back