The big 6-0...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

I turn the big 6-0 tomorrow. Apparently, there's going to be a huge party, live band, family and friends from near and far, and I'm really looking forward to it. There's even a rumor going around that I'm going to get up onstage with the band for a few(I've played guitar for 45 years).

But I look back on what life's been like from when I was a kid, and things are astounding.

I was born in Queens, NY in on July 16, 1962. This was a time when we didn't lock either the car or the back door to the house. We had this odd little box with a handset and cord hanging on the wall. We could turn the dial on it seven times and talk to someone who was somewhere else.

Our black and white television got five channels: ABC (channel 7), CBS (channel 2), and NBC (channel 4) as well as local stations WOR (channel 9) and WPIX (channel 11). That was it. When Dad was watching television my brother and I were what amounted to a "remote control". We used to climb the backstop at the middle school baseball field to watch the annual fireworks show every Independence Day after going to a cookout at the neighbor's house. We had parades over in Smithtown, right down on Main Street, and the local volunteer fire department always had an annual fair with games and such behind the main firehouse on Route 111 in Hauppauge.

I was a lackluster student all the way through high school, and I even managed to get a "0" on a math test in Mr. Busiello's class. I really got into the performing arts, though, and made it into the stage band (on baritone sax) and onto the high school theater stage.

Many of the people I was best friends with back then are people I remain best friends with today.

Six months out of high school I was on my way to Orlando, Florida for Navy boot camp. Little did I know then that it would be the beginning of an entirely new life. The Navy took me all over the world; Canada, Kuwait, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, Bahrain, Qatar, Australia, the Philippines, and Korea. Before I would retire I would be on a boarding team doing drug ops of the coasts of Central and South America.

Somewhere along the way I got married, had a child and then retired in 2001. I've now been retired longer than I was on active duty.

I now own two successful business and, at 60, I'm starting to flirt with the idea of retirement. I'm fortunate that I've been able to build a business around the things I love to do, and I count my blessing every single day that I have the employees I do. They're far more like family. I know that sounds cliche, but it really is how I feel. I'm fortunate that I can walk away from these businesses healthy, happy and secure.

After I lost my wife, it took me a long, long time to be open to another relationship. My wife was the love of my life. Again, though, fortuned smile upon me. I have a woman who loves me unconditionally and, not for nothin', is also smokin' hot. One thing she told me when we first got together was that she never wanted to try to replace my wife. Ruthie is so much different than my wife, but also so much the same.

Life is so much different today, and despite the technology we have intended to make our lives easier, it also seems as though life is far more complicated than in years past. We can't get away from the phone now, and we can even get our mail on our phone. We don't dress up when we fly anymore. I can remember my first airplane flight. It was 1973 and we were going to Disney World in Orlando. Mom made my brother and I wear collared shirts and shoes with heels.

Now people are wearing sweatpants and Crocs.

I'm not sure why I've written all of this, but I suppose everyone has that point in their life when they sit back, look at their life and whether or not they've done more good than bad, and this is the point in my life when I've chosen to do that.

At the end of the day, I truly believe in the good in people. I can have a nasty streak, sure, and I often let that out here on this forum. But this is an internet forum. It's not important. It ain't life.

Life is so much sweeter...

I turned 60 last October. It didn't really seem to mean much to me.

I turn the big 6-0 tomorrow. Apparently, there's going to be a huge party, live band, family and friends from near and far, and I'm really looking forward to it. There's even a rumor going around that I'm going to get up onstage with the band for a few(I've played guitar for 45 years).

But I look back on what life's been like from when I was a kid, and things are astounding.

I was born in Queens, NY in on July 16, 1962. This was a time when we didn't lock either the car or the back door to the house. We had this odd little box with a handset and cord hanging on the wall. We could turn the dial on it seven times and talk to someone who was somewhere else.

Our black and white television got five channels: ABC (channel 7), CBS (channel 2), and NBC (channel 4) as well as local stations WOR (channel 9) and WPIX (channel 11). That was it. When Dad was watching television my brother and I were what amounted to a "remote control". We used to climb the backstop at the middle school baseball field to watch the annual fireworks show every Independence Day after going to a cookout at the neighbor's house. We had parades over in Smithtown, right down on Main Street, and the local volunteer fire department always had an annual fair with games and such behind the main firehouse on Route 111 in Hauppauge.

I was a lackluster student all the way through high school, and I even managed to get a "0" on a math test in Mr. Busiello's class. I really got into the performing arts, though, and made it into the stage band (on baritone sax) and onto the high school theater stage.

Many of the people I was best friends with back then are people I remain best friends with today.

Six months out of high school I was on my way to Orlando, Florida for Navy boot camp. Little did I know then that it would be the beginning of an entirely new life. The Navy took me all over the world; Canada, Kuwait, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, Bahrain, Qatar, Australia, the Philippines, and Korea. Before I would retire I would be on a boarding team doing drug ops of the coasts of Central and South America.

Somewhere along the way I got married, had a child and then retired in 2001. I've now been retired longer than I was on active duty.

I now own two successful business and, at 60, I'm starting to flirt with the idea of retirement. I'm fortunate that I've been able to build a business around the things I love to do, and I count my blessing every single day that I have the employees I do. They're far more like family. I know that sounds cliche, but it really is how I feel. I'm fortunate that I can walk away from these businesses healthy, happy and secure.

After I lost my wife, it took me a long, long time to be open to another relationship. My wife was the love of my life. Again, though, fortuned smile upon me. I have a woman who loves me unconditionally and, not for nothin', is also smokin' hot. One thing she told me when we first got together was that she never wanted to try to replace my wife. Ruthie is so much different than my wife, but also so much the same.

Life is so much different today, and despite the technology we have intended to make our lives easier, it also seems as though life is far more complicated than in years past. We can't get away from the phone now, and we can even get our mail on our phone. We don't dress up when we fly anymore. I can remember my first airplane flight. It was 1973 and we were going to Disney World in Orlando. Mom made my brother and I wear collared shirts and shoes with heels.

I'm not sure why I've written all of this, but I suppose everyone has that point in their life when they sit back, look at their life and whether or not they've done more good than bad, and this is the point in my life when I've chosen to do that.

At the end of the day, I truly believe in the good in people. I can have a nasty streak, sure, and I often let that out here on this forum. But this is an internet forum. It's not important. It ain't life.

Congratulations on hitting 60. You've taken advantage of life in a free country, everyone should.

Cool story bruh. Congrats on the 6-0 and thanks for your service.

I remember the 13 channel Motorola that took 20 minutes to warm up. I thought Walter Conkrite could see me in my underwear so I was a little shy around that big black box. I was so happy to find out we could see them, but they couldn't see us.... in my late 30's....

I was born in Detroit in 1957 and have much the same thoughts as you. This country has changed greatly since I was born, and in many ways for the worse.

Detroit has changed completely. In 1957, crime was almost unheard of. My mom allowed us to walk up to the Five & Dime a block away, without adult supervision. I was five years old.

Many things are better today, but some aren’t. You mention people today dressing like bums. This never happened in the 50s or 60s. When we took the streetcar to Hudson’s downtown to shop, my brothers and I were dressed in suits and ties. My kid sister in a dress and dress shoes.

I agree that most Americans are good people. Unfortunately our society and culture have devolved thanks to many culprits including government, media, Hollywood, education…

Congrats, boomer. How you get to celebrate many more birthdays!

76 in September so I was in high school when the OP was born.

My mentor was 86 when we met. I would greet him every morning with the usual "how are you" and he'd tell the same lame joke every morning. He'd hold up his pinky finger, point to the tip of it and ask, "see that?"

"yeah"

"That doesn't hurt".

We used to talk about the way we look at age and aging. In so many ways, I'm still about 30-35. I feel good, I'm active, slender, mostly because my vegan diet. I can't keep going after about 8 in the evening. Well, I could but I don't want to. But its the mental and emotional ways that I'm still young.

My friend always said the same thing. His body was failing him of course but in his head, he was still a young man. Aging can be cruel.

Welcome to the 60s club, good life story! :113:

Forum List

Back