The Beauty of History

regent

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2012
The beauty of history is that it can and is repeated again and again. As new generations come on board having little or no real memory of the past, the same scenarios can be replayed again and again. The Great Depression was a wake up call and we have gone back to sleep.
American will go through the depression/recession cycles for the rest of this century. Finally, if the nation makes it, sometime in the next century we will have laws and traditions that may make the business cycles somewhat obsolete, but until then politicians will jerk us around using the business cycles to fill their donor's pockets.

"....make business cycles obsolete"? You should try getting your history from some place other than "Star Trek"

What makes you think people in the next century will fix things?

Particularly when history has been repeating itself since history began. IMO man never learns from history partly out of ignorance and partly out of convenience.

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
~Napoleon Bonaparte

For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history myself.
~Winston Churchill

History is written by the victors.
~Winston Churchill

Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.
~Edmund Burke

The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice.
~Mark Twain

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.
~George Washington

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

It's important to remember that history, by it's very nature of being written and read by humanity is not objective, but is, subjective. And the second thing to remember, is that it will be presented in such a way to the masses so that it will be remembered in a way which is most advantageous to those who are in power. Anything of use will be forgotten by those who need to learn it's lesson most, either because they have not looked, or because it's lessons have been purposely erased and suppressed.

Those last two quotes say it all. Man fails to learn that the acts of government are the root of all evil.

In this Age of Collectivism, government imposes it's will regularly and arbitrarily. And yet, most fail to comprehend this horrendous evil.

Forum List

Back