The Battle for the National Trust- At war with right wing extremists

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

The NT looks after the castles and historic buildings of the UK. Its a bit too focused on the history of the rich and powerful rather than a broader based approach that covers working class history as well.

Of late it has been trying to provide much needed context to its sites. For example Penrhyn Castle in North Wales was built on the proceeds of the slave trade. Thats all it is. Its a billionaires house with no historical value but it is fucking massive. A monument to evil.

This has led to faux outrage amongst the gammons who would rather not be reminded of the dark side of the glorious british empire.I think that the NT will win this battle. Their membership is comprised of elderly educated folk who will not put up with right wing lunacy whilst being generally conservative in outlook.

It reminds me of the arguments you guys are having over the 1619 project.

The NT looks after the castles and historic buildings of the UK. Its a bit too focused on the history of the rich and powerful rather than a broader based approach that covers working class history as well.

Of late it has been trying to provide much needed context to its sites. For example Penrhyn Castle in North Wales was built on the proceeds of the slave trade. Thats all it is. Its a billionaires house with no historical value but it is fucking massive. A monument to evil.

This has led to faux outrage amongst the gammons who would rather not be reminded of the dark side of the glorious british empire.I think that the NT will win this battle. Their membership is comprised of elderly educated folk who will not put up with right wing lunacy whilst being generally conservative in outlook.

I have a question. When this is highly emotive cause is all over what will be your next cause celebre? Saving the snails from the evil French?

I have a question. When this is highly emotive cause is all over what will be your next cause celebre? Saving the snails from the evil French?
Are you saying that society can never improve ? With that attitude we would still be burning witches. In a Christian spiritual way of course.

..I've never lived in the UK, but I can for sure say you are wrong about that

Well what should I do if you wont engage on the topic. What do you want to see happen here ?
Should the NT only tell a selective story about the properties that they own ?
I thought I was engaging it in the appropriate manner it deserves.......... You know, pointing out that it's a completely emotive take on your part and that only emotionally immature people get obsessed with something that happened eons ago............

I thought I was engaging it in the appropriate manner it deserves.......... You know, pointing out that it's a completely emotive take on your part and that only emotionally immature people get obsessed with something that happened eons ago............
Like civil war monuments ? The emotion is coming from the right who would prefer not to shine a light on these matters..

Forum List

Back