The B-52 Turns 60

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
Nice retrospective and photos. The big, bad B-52 that won the First Gulf War and was an icon of the Vietnam War. It's still in service. I read a story about a B-52 pilot who was the grandson of one of the first B-52 pilots. That's amazing. My first serious girlfriend's father was a SAC colonel. He gave me a B-52 tour once (I was in the military then). No ride though.

They made the last B-52 in 1962. In 2015 dollars it cost $70 million. The B-2 by comparison, costs $3 billion a pop.

The B-52 bomber turns 60 photos - CNET

Nice retrospective and photos. The big, bad B-52 that won the First Gulf War and was an icon of the Vietnam War. It's still in service. I read a story about a B-52 pilot who was the grandson of one of the first B-52 pilots. That's amazing. My first serious girlfriend's father was a SAC colonel. He gave me a B-52 tour once (I was in the military then). No ride though.

They made the last B-52 in 1962. In 2015 dollars it cost $70 million. The B-2 by comparison, costs $3 billion a pop.

The B-52 bomber turns 60 photos - CNET

they should be using them for dropping cluster bombs

on those caravans of isis traveling all over the place willy nilly

They just pulled one out of the boneyard...
The Ghost Rider B-52 Rises From The Grave To Ride Again U.S. Air Force serial number 61-0007, a B-52H known by its nose art as "Ghost Rider," was brought out of seven years of storage at the Defense Department's boneyard in Arizona. Its new mission? To replace an active B-52H that was badly damaged by fire while on the ground at Barksdale Air Force Base and make the USAF arms treaty-dictated fleet of 76 B-52s whole once again. Apparently, regenerating the Stratofortress back to flying condition went incredibly smooth, with all the jet's eight TF33 engines roaring back to life without incident.

Forum List

Back