The Answer to Police Misconduct

He certainly had a criminal history but had not had any violent crimes in decades if I recall correctly. Seemed like he was turning his life around, or at least was doing better than he was.

Yep. That's what most people do when turning their lives around; use counterfeit money to try and ripoff a store.
...with baggies of Fentanyl stuck up their Pelosi....

The problem is not the police, the problem are the criminals. What is fleeing and eluding? Probably six months in jail. What about fighting with a police officer? Probably nothing unless you strike the officer. Illegally carrying a concealed weapon? Probably less than a year.

The bottom line is we don't have a strong enough deterrent for these crimes, so the people run from the cops and fight with them if caught. What also needs to be done, particularly in black schools, is for local police to hold seminars explaining what they do and why they do it. Give potential criminals an insight on how they're trained and why they bark specific orders at a suspect.

In black communities, many are taught that the police are out to get you because you're black. If they can find an excuse to kill you, they will. Police love killing black people. It's why they joined the police force in the first place!

If we had police seminars in high schools, perhaps they can remove those lies from their heads. Even have a question and answer period. Because if you are really brainwashed into believing this crap, you are going to run from the cops too because you think they're out to kill you. What was George Floyd repeating over and over again before he died?
I don’t think cops are out to kill black people, but it sure seems like in some circumstances, they don’t really care if they do; it’s almost as if they don’t value the lives of black people.

Look at the video of Chauvin kneeling on Floyd. Did he appear at all to care about the life of Floyd?

Hence the movement is called black lives matter. Black people feel like society does not value them.

It's not the job of society for us to make you feel valued, no more than it's the job of society for me to feel valued. If you want to feel valued, volunteer your time at a hospital, get a job and earn a paycheck, cut your elderly neighbors lawn and not accept any money.

That officer probably kneeled on the necks of a lot of suspects. He wasn't a rookie by any stretch of the imagination. This guy was tanked up on very dangerous drugs, or he would have otherwise not gotten out of hand in the first place, or if he did, not died while being restrained.

Chauvin had no idea a death would have resulted in his actions, and I'm sure he feels terrible about it.

In any case, a lot of low income blacks truly believe that the police are the enemy. They do things out of racial hatred instead of procedure and for their own safety.

Chauvin may not have known that his actions would cause death, but he didn’t seem to care if it would or not.

Which is why black people may feel their lives are not valuable.

Our country is based on the value of the lives of its people. It’s the reason we are a democratic republic, because we the people matter.

Reasonable.
I agree the officer seemed to ignore the suspects pleas.
No matter what crimes a person commits, our systems allows them their day in court.
Police officers are not judges, juries and executioners.

That said, I believe the suspect was a bad player and society is better off without him in it.

Saying you can't breathe is a tactic used by many criminals to try and stop police from manhandling them, and possibly create an opportunity for them to escape again. I used to be a loyal fan of the show COPS. It happened all the time.

The Policeman's Oath:
On my honor, I will never Betray my integrity, my character Or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always maintain the highest ethical standards and uphold the values of my community, and the agency I serve.
Nice dream.

The Policeman's Oath:
On my honor, I will never Betray my integrity, my character Or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always maintain the highest ethical standards and uphold the values of my community, and the agency I serve.
Nice dream.
What is the Fentanyl thug's oath???

The problem is not the police, the problem are the criminals. What is fleeing and eluding? Probably six months in jail. What about fighting with a police officer? Probably nothing unless you strike the officer. Illegally carrying a concealed weapon? Probably less than a year.

The bottom line is we don't have a strong enough deterrent for these crimes, so the people run from the cops and fight with them if caught. What also needs to be done, particularly in black schools, is for local police to hold seminars explaining what they do and why they do it. Give potential criminals an insight on how they're trained and why they bark specific orders at a suspect.

In black communities, many are taught that the police are out to get you because you're black. If they can find an excuse to kill you, they will. Police love killing black people. It's why they joined the police force in the first place!

If we had police seminars in high schools, perhaps they can remove those lies from their heads. Even have a question and answer period. Because if you are really brainwashed into believing this crap, you are going to run from the cops too because you think they're out to kill you. What was George Floyd repeating over and over again before he died?

To be fair and honest, there are some bad people who wear a badge.
'Some" of the problem is "some" of the people wearing a badge.

It is no different than any other profession involving people.

Fair enough, but it's also something that can't be helped. Most police departments do extensive research on police applicants. No matter how far they go, somebody will always slip through the cracks.

I don’t think cops are out to kill black people, but it sure seems like in some circumstances, they don’t really care if they do; it’s almost as if they don’t value the lives of black people.

Look at the video of Chauvin kneeling on Floyd. Did he appear at all to care about the life of Floyd?

Hence the movement is called black lives matter. Black people feel like society does not value them.

It's not the job of society for us to make you feel valued, no more than it's the job of society for me to feel valued. If you want to feel valued, volunteer your time at a hospital, get a job and earn a paycheck, cut your elderly neighbors lawn and not accept any money.

That officer probably kneeled on the necks of a lot of suspects. He wasn't a rookie by any stretch of the imagination. This guy was tanked up on very dangerous drugs, or he would have otherwise not gotten out of hand in the first place, or if he did, not died while being restrained.

Chauvin had no idea a death would have resulted in his actions, and I'm sure he feels terrible about it.

In any case, a lot of low income blacks truly believe that the police are the enemy. They do things out of racial hatred instead of procedure and for their own safety.

Chauvin may not have known that his actions would cause death, but he didn’t seem to care if it would or not.

Our country is based on the value of the lives of its people. It’s the reason we are a democratic republic, because we the people matter.

Reasonable.
No matter what crimes a person commits, our systems allows them their day in court.

That said, I believe the suspect was a bad player and society is better off without him in it.

Saying you can't breathe is a tactic used by many criminals to try and stop police from manhandling them, and possibly create an opportunity for them to escape again. I used to be a loyal fan of the show COPS. It happened all the time.

So what?

Reasonable.

So what?

So what is that police hear that "I can't breathe" crap all the time, and in most all cases, they are simply FOS. Try this: don't breathe and say the words "I can't breathe." Post a video of you doing that.

If tasers aren't dependable to stop somebody then what is? When you got a guy with a warrant out on him or sexual assault, you can't let the guy get away. Anybody want to argue that? If you let him go and he rapes somebody afterwards, what do you say to the victim and her family then? "Well, we didn't want to shoot the poor guy?"

Police misconduct is a multi-faceted problem where the cops are only one part and not even the biggest part IMHO. Part of the problem is also that those in charge of the police dept and the city ought to be prosecuting or at least firing the bad cops, but that isn't happening. And they are primarily democrats who are charged with providing and ensuring public safety and security, so I think that's an even bigger part of the problem. Fix that, and the deterrence for the rest of your police force kicks in and your problem is reduced.

BUT - in order to do that the gov'ts at the local and state level have to change their contracts and laws with regard to police unions. Past reports or claims of police misconduct need to be included in the deliberation for the most recent misconduct, and at some point after a sufficient number of complaints have surfaced the officer needs to be fired or at least removed to desk job or something. Probably there needs to be a law that says a public union cannot give political donations to anybody, which somewhat precludes the appearance of impropriety on the part of elected officials who are not removing bad cops from the force.

Back to the cops, they need to be better trained and better equipped with non-lethal means of subduing a person without shooting them. A lot of cops are not in the best physical shape to be wrestling around with somebody younger and stronger. It happens when you get older, y'know? You don't like the choke hold? Well what do you like, what is a cop supposed to do?

Another part of the problem is the subject being arrested, usually black guys that resist. If you don't resist then you don't get shot, unless maybe you get free of them and outrun the cops to get away. Do you let the guy escape? What if he's wanted for murder or rape, do you shoot him in the back? No? What if he hurts or kills somebody later? If he's wanted for a less serious non-violent crime, then IMHO that's another story. We'd have to talk about what to do then, shooting a fleeing suspect who is charged with a misdemeanor doesn't seem to meet the level of a threat to the community.

Finally, in the end the problem also rests with the voters. When you elect democrat after democrat and nothing changes, then IMHO you are part of the problem too. Here's a hint: elect a Republican! You have to play one party against the other to get your desired outcomes. Maybe you don't get it all at once, but you send the message to do something for us that works or you're gone.
Overall a very good post and respect most of it's opinion. Cannot support blindly electing republicans as an answer as the figurehead at the top of the Republican ticket is a law and order guy in name and bluster only, showing little respect for the laws of the land, but supposedly above that sort of thing.
Outside of that a very, very good post and really good tactic, saving the political solution, I and others might reject, for the end of the post was an excellent, well planned method of getting the majority you main points out. Good job. :clap2:

Actually, when I advised people to vote Republican I was thinking about the local and state levels rather than Trump v Biden. I really do think the idea of always voting for one party at ANY level means you could end up being taken for granted somewhat. That is, IMHO a mistake; in the past, riots have occurred in Detroit and LA and other places and what has changed with respect to law enforcement and judicial fairness? In a republican democracy, you have to hold your elected representatives accountable and IMHO too many voters in too many places have not done that. The GOP voters did just that in 2018, that's how Pelosi and the Dems took back the house. I think the Dem voters should do the same at the local and state levels this time. I think they should do the same at the national level, but police misconduct isn't really much of a federal problem with respect to rioting and violence on our cities.
Yep. I noticed in the opening line thesis of 3rd paragraph. In many places this is undoubtedly absolutely true. Most or our local elections here, for county/city government are a lot less about party, than the person. I think people should concentrate on the person only at local level (especially in cities our size) and only pick people that support their local community values and quickly reject and shun local officials that go against community values for their own benefit regardless of party leanings. They do not run on a republican or democratic ticket. Suspect our mayor is a democrat, but in a small city our size, this is somebody I have met and spoken with and looked in the eye at times around town not a party boss. He's a smart young man, as his grandfather was. I do realize there are those that run here that, though not stated, definitely want you to know what party they support hoping it will garner support by association. At local level I tend to reject them as party supplants local values in their eyes. I can see how it happens in large cities where you never interact with them and cannot really know their character unless they slip up. Don't know a solution but certain it is complicated and not something I have to address since they are far away from me.
I also agree that police misconduct is local problem, not particularly suited to Federal intervention and the same for rioting and mob violence, no matter how much a national candidate would like to take advantage or be held responsible for the issue.

Forum List

Back