The American 'allergy' to global warming: Why?

R

rdean

"The opposition by the Republicans has gotten stronger and stronger," the 79-year-old "grandfather of climate science" said in an interview. "But, of course, the push by the Democrats has become stronger and stronger, and as it has become a more important issue, it has become more polarized."

The solution: "Eventually it'll become damned clear that the Earth is warming and the warming is beyond anything we have experienced in millions of years, and people will have to admit..." He stopped and laughed.

"Well, I suppose they could say God is burning us up."

The basic physics of anthropogenic—manmade—global warming has been clear for more than a century, since researchers proved that carbon dioxide traps heat. Others later showed CO2 was building up in the atmosphere from the burning of coal, oil and other fossil fuels. Weather stations then filled in the rest: Temperatures were rising.

The impact has been widespread.

An authoritative study this August reported that hundreds of species are retreating toward the poles, egrets showing up in southern England, American robins in Eskimo villages. Some, such as polar bears, have nowhere to go. Eventual large-scale extinctions are feared.

The heat is cutting into wheat yields, nurturing beetles that are destroying northern forests, attracting malarial mosquitoes to higher altitudes.

Even Wally Broecker's jest—that deniers could blame God—may not be an option for long.

Last May the Vatican's Pontifical Academy of Sciences, arm of an institution that once persecuted Galileo for his scientific findings, pronounced on manmade global warming: It's happening.

Said the pope's scientific advisers, "We must protect the habitat that sustains us."

The American allergy to global warming: Why? | R&D Mag

-------------------------------------------------------

Republicans would die to leave their kids a "dead" world. Circular logic.

Americans, and Republicans in particular, love being told what they want to hear. It applies to just about every aspect of the GOP platform.

It's much easier to believe climate change science is not real than it is to accept that it is and that they might have to sacrifice some of the things to which they're accustomed.

Why don't we just revamp and build 100 new nuclear plants by 2020?? We tear down the dams, free the salmon, bulldoze a couple dozen coal plants and produce ZERO CO2...

What is the "religious" objections of the trogly left to that? You could have all the electric cars you want and wind/solar would be hobby kit that rich people can play with to impress their greenie friends..

If we took the words Republican and God away from RDean -- he couldn't produce a single of copy for another thread...

The Climate scammers were too hysterical in their predictions, which have not come to pass and their predictions made no sense to most folks.

If the warmers were right, Florida would be totally under water. Given the amount of sea ice that has supposed to have melted, sea levels should have risen twenty feet. Also the salinity of the oceans should have dropped substantially. Back when I was in high school it was supposed that 15% of the planets water was locked up in sea ice. We have, according to the warmers, lost more than half of the arctic ice, which would have resulted in an 8% increase in ocean water volume.

That hokey hockey stick killed the warmers.

Republicans are just tools of the energy industry is the short answer.

The Great Global Warming Funding Scheme
As you know I’ve been in New York attending Heartland International Conference on Climate Change, a gathering of over 800 skeptics of anthropogenic global warming. The New York Times resident alarmist propagandist Andrew Revkin weighed in with a risible hit piece chock full of the usual tropes. On cue, he trotted out the old canard that skeptics are pawns of boogeyman Exxon-Mobil:
But large corporations like Exxon Mobil, which in the past financed the Heartland Institute and other groups that challenged the climate consensus, have reduced support. Many such companies no longer dispute that the greenhouse gases produced by burning fossil fuels pose risks.

From 1998 to 2006, Exxon Mobil, for example, contributed more than $600,000 to
Heartland, according to annual reports of charitable contributions from the company and company foundations.In fact, global warming alarmists are funded to the tune of $50 billion (in taxpayer money) versus $19 million for skeptics. Forget for a moment the money we are spending to provide non-solutions to a non-existent crisis, corporate profiteers like General Electric and the legions of lobbyists lining up to snare their fair share of rent seeking loot.

Red Maryland: The Great Global Warming Funding Scheme

Last edited:
Why don't we just revamp and build 100 new nuclear plants by 2020?? We tear down the dams, free the salmon, bulldoze a couple dozen coal plants and produce ZERO CO2...

What is the "religious" objections of the trogly left to that? You could have all the electric cars you want and wind/solar would be hobby kit that rich people can play with to impress their greenie friends..

If we took the words Republican and God away from RDean -- he couldn't produce a single of copy for another thread...

Take away "Obama" and Republicans lose their "anti Christ". Oops.

nurturing beetles that are destroying northern forests

THIS -- is the reason we're not buying it.. 41 other rational explanations for a beetle explosion.. But we are REQUIRED to believe that those beetles have detected and modified their populations and eating habits based on a 0.5C change in the global annual surface temperature..

Pretty amazing considering that the for EONs these beetles put up with seasonal extremes of 30 or 40 degC and made it thru summers that varied rountinely by 4 or 5 degC..

You know what? THAT is pure religious doctrine right there.... If those little buggers can DETECT a 0.25 or even 0.5degC average annual rise -- give THEM the next Nobel prize...

I'll wait til SCIENCE discounts the OTHER 40 valid possible reasons for the outbreak..

Don't worry RDean -- there's only 12 distinct notes in the musical scale, but some geniuses have found ways to make make music even if they were deaf, dumb and/or blind... You'll figure it out.. But you COULD challenge yourself by playing something in another key once in a while...
:lol:

Don't worry RDean -- there's only 12 distinct notes in the musical scale, but some geniuses have found ways to make make music even if they were deaf, dumb and/or blind... You'll figure it out.. But you COULD challenge yourself by playing something in another key once in a while...
:lol:

Ludwig von composed this while he was Totally deaf.

And if things come out right Nov 6 2012, I will play this continuously

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjvT6GjArM"]Daughter of Elisium. [/ame]

All done with 12 tones Baruch M. (At least in Western music).

Ain't it amazing?

And we are coded and conducted by only 4 bases in our DNA.. How complicated could this Science stuff be anyway?

Right wingers explaining how "science" works is the true meaning of "Shock and Awe". Then the bellylaughs begin. Then the tears, followed by a few giggles and a small burp.

Really? Now Si, the last decade was the warmest on record. The next decade will be warmer. And the one after that, warmer still.

The Sea Ice is rapidly going away, as are the Alpine Glaciers. The Continental Ice Caps are shedding ice by the tens of giga-tons.

That is all reality. And your schtick has to do with politics, not with the reality of science.

Really? Now Si, the last decade was the warmest on record. The next decade will be warmer. And the one after that, warmer still.

The Sea Ice is rapidly going away, as are the Alpine Glaciers. The Continental Ice Caps are shedding ice by the tens of giga-tons.

That is all reality. And your schtick has to do with politics, not with the reality of science.
Where did I say there isn't warming?

Are you hallucinating?

It's sad to see the APW cultists having their total belief system fucked up by reality.

I'm sorry modo... But what the hell are you talking about? :confused:

'AGW cultists' (or as I call them... rather amusingly in another thread... 'The whole world except American Republicans) are witnessing every single one of their predictions coming true.

It's not our fault that others interpreted "This will happen" as "This will happen right away." Now deniers are saying "SEE - IT DIDN'T HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY!" and we're supposed to accept that as proof that it's all a big conspiracy?

Naw, you very seldom say anything that you can be pinned down on. I do believe your science is PolySci.

As opposed to people who SAY things and then just skate and dodge when those things are challenged?

Do you think those bark beetles are detecting a 0.25degC average annual surface temp difference and now can't control their appetites or keep their genitals in their pants?

Or could there be 40 other valid and MORE reasonable explanations for a phenomena like that?

Naw, you very seldom say anything that you can be pinned down on. I do believe your science is PolySci.
So, as I've never denied that there is warming, why do you say I am some sort of "denier"? (Earlier you defined a "denier" as one who denies warming.)

When the point folks want to make is solidly supported by facts, there is never any reason to lie.

It's sad to see the APW cultists having their total belief system fucked up by reality.

I'm sorry modo... But what the hell are you talking about? :confused:

'AGW cultists' (or as I call them... rather amusingly in another thread... 'The whole world except American Republicans) are witnessing every single one of their predictions coming true.

It's not our fault that others interpreted "This will happen" as "This will happen right away." Now deniers are saying "SEE - IT DIDN'T HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY!" and we're supposed to accept that as proof that it's all a big conspiracy?
I'm talking about some sort of SCIENCE that demonstrates the causation of warming is due to man-made CO2 and some sort of quantification of the significance of man-made CO2 on any warming - even just a ball-park quantification backed by science.

(Wait for someone to present correlation thinking they have proven causation. Just wait for it....)

New Topics

Forum List

Back