The Advantages of Staying at Home.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Lying in bed late at night or waiting at the platform for the commuter train home, we often daydream about where it would be so much nicer to be: perhaps the beaches of Goa on India’s west coast, a little restaurant by a quiet canal in Venice, the highway near Big Sur in California or maybe the Faroe islands, far to the north of Scotland.

The desire to travel is, almost always, sparked by a picture or two: a couple of mental snapshots that encapsulate all that seems most alluring about a destination. A trip lasting many hours and costing what could be a small fortune may be initiated by nothing grander or more examined than one or two mental postcards.

• Banned
^ We ruin our trips by a fateful habit of taking ourselves along on them.

There’s a tragi-comic irony at work: the vast labour of getting ourselves physically to a place won’t necessarily get us any closer to the essence of what we’d been seeking. As airlines, hotel chains and travel magazines conspire never to tell us, in daydreaming of the ideal location, we may have already enjoyed the very best that any place has to offer us.

0AA68C16-261D-400C-8722-61E4F17BCD7C.jpeg

"Paradise ... is exactly like where you are right now ... only much, much better".
-- Laurie Anderson, _Language is a Virus (from Outer Space)_, 1986

Sometimes, you can find exactly what you are looking for in the simplest vacation plan. I've been on elaborate vacations that required a good outlay of cash to locations around the USA. Recently, I've been going through and scanning photographs from the 90's when the kids were young (you know, before the age of digital when you actually had to have film developed). Thinking back, some of those vacations while scaled down in scope and very close to home, provided me more relaxation, re-charging, and memorable moments than the more elaborate ones did. Moral of the story, it doesn't have to cost a mint to be memorable.

I've been staying at home too long...I long for the joys of travel, even though the experience is often contrived and make-believe.

All I would concede is that it is great to find an unexpectedly pleasant travel experience close to home.

Being retired, the word, "vacation" is no longer apropos, but travel is one of its most pleasant advantages. Staying at home is for the birds.

Yeah, I am all about traveling. Not big on staying at home.

Lying in bed late at night or waiting at the platform for the commuter train home, we often daydream about where it would be so much nicer to be: perhaps the beaches of Goa on India’s west coast, a little restaurant by a quiet canal in Venice, the highway near Big Sur in California or maybe the Faroe islands, far to the north of Scotland.

The desire to travel is, almost always, sparked by a picture or two: a couple of mental snapshots that encapsulate all that seems most alluring about a destination. A trip lasting many hours and costing what could be a small fortune may be initiated by nothing grander or more examined than one or two mental postcards.

Yes, so it is!

I’ve travelled to the ME. Watched the sun come up over a mountain this morning. It never fails.

Though l was entranced by the Black Forest. Will stay with me forever.
Long live the Black Forest!

Forum List

Back