The 45 day dry aged bone in ribeye.

There is an easy way to do it using UMAi dry aging bags.
It's a membrane you put on the hunk of meat like a vacuum bag but it breathes out but not in.
This allows you to do it in your kitchen refrigerator but you can run into problems with temp and humidity so a dedicated refrigerator is best.

Pretty sure Bern's ages at a higher temp. They'll give the tour if you go there at the right time. All I remember is.."That warm?" and wtf?! Looking at that green stuff. (They cut that off)
They've been in business for a long time. There's one in Chicago like that, too.
Back when it was a hub for cattle distribution. Same thing.

The huge dry agers actually use a starter bacteria/mold thats usually a big secret. It's kinda like yeast for sourdough.

As a home dry ager you most likely wont have that option, although I bet it's coming soon with its popularity growing.

I originally wanted this unit......
DX1000 Dry-Ager inc. Accessories & Delivery
Only to find out it wouldnt be available in the US till fall of 2020.
If my current set up works as hoped I'll pass on it for the price tag of 5k.

If it ain't broke and it works, why change anything? :dunno:

My thoughts exactly.
$800 bucks vs. $5k....if all goes well I'll concentrate on improving my current set up.
I have a controller that will adjust temps and humidity thats plug and play. Haven't installed it because so far the fridge thermo is doing its job just fine and the humidity is spot on.

One thing I've learned in life: If you find something that works: Stick with it.

F'rinstance a cousin of mine taught me you can hit wasps/hornets/whatever at night with Raid and they die.

So I saw some today, and when that sun goes down, they're gonna die!

Spotlight, Raid, run!
It's night of the long knives for hornets. Tired of their shit. They gotta go.

Kinda weird...
This year we haven't had shit when it comes to wasps.
Normally I'll have knocked down a half dozen by now.

Pretty sure Bern's ages at a higher temp. They'll give the tour if you go there at the right time. All I remember is.."That warm?" and wtf?! Looking at that green stuff. (They cut that off)
They've been in business for a long time. There's one in Chicago like that, too.
Back when it was a hub for cattle distribution. Same thing.

The huge dry agers actually use a starter bacteria/mold thats usually a big secret. It's kinda like yeast for sourdough.

As a home dry ager you most likely wont have that option, although I bet it's coming soon with its popularity growing.

My thoughts exactly.
$800 bucks vs. $5k....if all goes well I'll concentrate on improving my current set up.
I have a controller that will adjust temps and humidity thats plug and play. Haven't installed it because so far the fridge thermo is doing its job just fine and the humidity is spot on.

One thing I've learned in life: If you find something that works: Stick with it.

F'rinstance a cousin of mine taught me you can hit wasps/hornets/whatever at night with Raid and they die.

Spotlight, Raid, run!

Kinda weird...
I say that's not a bad thing!

Do you pay for an exterminator?

My thoughts exactly.

Spotlight, Raid, run!

Kinda weird...
I say that's not a bad thing!

Do you pay for an exterminator?

Nah.....I enjoy killing them myself.

They're tough to begin with. I better go get some ice and charge all the phones today. Ooo! I'm gonna get some dry rub stuff, too. Cut me some wood and put it up under the porch.

MM hang on to your hat when the wind blows and keep your powder dry...

Roast those bones & bits and get some beef feet, if you can & favorite flavoring veggies (garlic, onion, celery stalk & leaves, carrot, etc) till good & brown & smelly. Add plenty of water to cover with some peppercorns, bay leaves and a good splash of ACV......bring it up to heat where the bubbles JUST start to break the surface, then turn it down to keep it at that same level. Eventually there will be a 'scum' that is spooned off & tossed. Let this broth cook 24-48 hours covered till it's reduced by about half.....depending on how big of a pot you're working with & how much you want as a result. Usually when I make broth I do it in a huge pot that holds nearly 10 gallons(?) and I'll let it cook for 2-4 days on the woodstove. The house smells wonderful.

JAN that sounds like a Pho recipe... I bet it does smell great...

Pho? No.....just darn good bone broth.

Chicken broth works the same way. Though when I can get feet to add to it, I call it Witches Brew. Looks like it too with those feet floating around :04:

Who would ever think to eat this ugly beast?
This is the biggest one of two. We ended up with 12 Huge steaks between the two roasts. The majority will be shared between the Wife and I so it's more like thirty steaks.
We saved over $110 bucks doing the aging ourselves and thats if we'd aged them for 28 days,that price goes up exponentially the longer they age.
They have a wonderful nutty smell!!

View attachment 276577 View attachment 276578 View attachment 276579
Had to set up at a card table after all my hip surgeries since I couldnt stand long enough to do the butchering...and I could watch the Stros in the process.
TIDY !

Dry aged ...indeed the best

This is the biggest one of two. We ended up with 12 Huge steaks between the two roasts. The majority will be shared between the Wife and I so it's more like thirty steaks.
We saved over $110 bucks doing the aging ourselves and thats if we'd aged them for 28 days,that price goes up exponentially the longer they age.

Had to set up at a card table after all my hip surgeries since I couldnt stand long enough to do the butchering...and I could watch the Stros in the process.
Yup, the first two pictures look like it's been mummified......... :eusa_whistle:

Asshole..I am hungry

Yup, the first two pictures look like it's been mummified......... :eusa_whistle:

Pretty much.

Pretty much.
Was it you that gave me shit the last time I said that.......?

:D

Pretty much.

Dont know why I would have considering I know what dry aged beef looks like before trimming.

Pretty much.

Dont know why I would have considering I know what dry aged beef looks like before trimming.
Someone did...... Thought it was you misunderstanding what I was getting at....... :D

Forum List

Back