The 25 Greatest Stand Up Comics Of All Time

I was surprised they got Steven Wright in there. Good for them. They missed Emo Phillips. He has one of the best jokes every written.

Also some of the biggest comedy movies ever were from Cheech and Chong. They missed them.

Go here for the list. Whoever put this list together to me is in bad need of a brain transplant! Why wasn't Jeff Foxworthy included?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
I never heard of about half of them. Roseanne Barr wasn't among them either. George Burns? Steve Allen, Jay Leno? Gallagher?

Last edited:
th

Robin Williams is my absolute favorite. He was THE best at coming up with hilarious stuff out of nowhere. George Carlin gets my second place vote. Dave Chapelle is my current favorite comedian. And I DID like Bill Cosby's early work. His albums were hilarious. And I have to mention Steve Martin's early work, up until the late 80's. He hasn't been that funny since.

Bill Maher should be on that list. And Alan King. And Greg Giraldo. And Jeff Ross. And Gilbert Gottfried.

I never heard of about half of them. Roseanne Barr wasn't among them either. George Burns? Steve Allen, Jay Leno? Gallagher?
I've never heard of Steve Allen. I've heard of Steve Martin. Is that who you were meaning to mention? I don't remember him being included either and Tim Allen wasn't on there either. :( :( :(

God bless you and him and Steve always!!!

Holly

I've never heard of Steve Allen. I've heard of Steve Martin. Is that who you were meaning to mention? I don't remember him being included either and Tim Allen wasn't on there either. :( :( :(

God bless you and him and Steve always!!!

Holly
Steve Allen was the original host of the Tonight Show in the 50s. He was replaced by Jack Paar who was replaced by Johnny Carson.

^^^ Thank you for the history. I just now checked and Steve Martin was the #18 picture. Tim Allen is not included and neither was Jim Carrey. :( :( :(

God bless you and them and Steve always!!!

Holly

Go here for the list. Whoever put this list together to me is in bad need of a brain transplant! Why wasn't Jeff Foxworthy included?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

CLICKBAIT ALERT!

Follow the link for 25 pages of advertising

Steve Allen and George Burns were incredible...The list needed to throw some relatively newer faces in there to play to the younger audience.

Gallagher, like Larry the Cable Guy, is reasonably amusing the first go-around, repetitive and droll on repeated exposure.

The list didn't include any of the famous "angry" comics, like Sam Kinison and Lewis Black.

Obviously, opinions vary.

Some comedians just throw out miscellaneous crap, hoping that some of it will be funny. Robin Williams was a psychotic, drug-addled copy of Jonathan Winters, just as George Carlin was a softer version of Lenny Bruce - never actually reaching Bruce's level.

Lewis Black is on par with the best of these 25.

David Brenner belongs on the list.

I like the ones that force you to think a bit. Steve Martin was often unique, and always enjoyable.

Bill Maher should be on that list. And Alan King. And Greg Giraldo. And Jeff Ross. And Gilbert Gottfried.
Maher?

No, not even close. Maher is an amazing comedian BUT the 'list' is of standup comedians and Maher is not a terrific stand up comedian. His show is something different and not a stand up routine even if it is gold.

Forum List

Back