The 1920 Wall Street Bombing

Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
American history reveals some very interesting things if you look for them. I found something a bit profound from the Woodrow Wilson presidency and posted a short article on it. It concerns the 1920 Wall Street bombing by the radical left and I found the Democratic administration’s actions on it to be fascinating: different! but fascinating.

Below the article are all of the sources that I used to put it together: underlined text is sourced below.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

1920 Wall Street Bombing

Sept, 16, 1920

One of my favorite things about history is following an event through and looking for it in the future…

The Wall Street Bombing of the JP Morgan Bank building was America’s first act of domestic political terrorism that went unmatched until the Mcvey Oklahoma City bombing seventy-five years later. What’s interesting about both bombings is that they appear to be one from each political extreme and both being linked to anarchy: something very akin to the 1861 agenda of our then confederate states. The Wall Street bombing however was never solved and was finally closed sixty years later in 1940. By 1919 WWI had become “another poor man’s war run by the rich: the 1863 Draft Riots were the result of this imbalance and the Vietnam War was lost to the same.
WWI produced 42,000 new millionaires as a result of defense contracts nad profits from related industries. The divide in income and political agendas that was created however led to the rise of the radical left in way we hadn’t seen before in our history and communist sympathizers found audiences which created a shift toward attention to communist doctrine that led directly to America’s first Red Scare.
The one consistency that we find in all this is that failures in capitalism always seem to open the door to radical elements that fill the void of loss: something that all countries suffer in a vacuum of leadership. Our financial leadership was nowhere to be seen during The Gilded Age that produced names like Morgan, Vanderbilt, Van Nortrick and Carnegie.

Lennin’s Bloshevics took over Russia, without Lennin’s presence, in 1917. By 1919 the US had suffered two hard depressions, that of 1873 and again twenty years later in 1893’ both the result of financial abuses that came again in 1929. That’s three all but catastrophic financial collapses in just fifty-six years and as always the greater suffering was passed down to the lower end of the financial scales, while the upper ends of that scale sat back on their huge reserves and used whatever means necessary to distance themselves from the troubles that sunk the markets.
By 1919 there had been twenty-nine mail bombs sent and the only group that was considered was “The Anarchist Fighters”. As a result of Woodrow Wilson’s WWI campaign of cracking down anti-Americanism there were over 5,000 deportations from the New York area of Russian born noncitizens and even some naturalized ones. Italians were also deported and under AG Mitchell Palmer (D), the cleansing of radical anti-Americanism was so successful that citizens began to think that the campaign went too far. As a result, forty-five days after the Morgan bombing, on November 20, 1920, the country elected Republican Warren G Harding who in his campaign speeches dismissed the Red Scare… Later to congress, a very angry Mitchell Palmer rebuked congress by reminding that he had forewarned about future attacks.

By this time rag publishers like Luigi Galiani had also been deported for running media using unfounded misinformation that only inflamed radical sentiment and violence. Galianist Mario Buda(h) of Boston was believed to have been the one who drove and parked the horse drawn wagon bomb in front of the Morgan building that day. He was also believed to be a member of the Anarchist Fighters, at the time the only known organized resistance group though as earlier pointed out, the sixty year investigation only had a possible motive to work with. It should also be said that J Edgar Hoover worked for Palmer at that time and was so impressed with Palmer’s leadership and methods that he took over prosecuting the Red Scare for his entire career. It would be Hoover who would plant informants into labor unions and then of course later with the civil rights movement, both of which had nothing to do with communism in their root or cause, but suffered the attachment of radical barnacles who could find an audience and this country’s political movements have been watched ever since.

Finally, what we can conclude from this chapter of American history is that the Democratic administration under Woodrow Wilson indeed went hard after communism and anti-Americanism as a threat to first our war effort, in which I’m sure that Wilson’s war policies were aimed at the “all-in” to win that we applied in the second world war. Socially however, people who for all intents and purposes are in fact abused by capitalism’s failings will always rise up against said abuses and we have witnessed that both sides of the political extremes can be dangerous. Having said that, we have recently experienced an attack on our government on Jan 6th, 2021 by a home grown political movement, the sponsors of which, whether foreign or domestic (we may never know), are successfully destabilizing our country to the point wherein our methods of democratic representation are facing an existential threat, just as was thought in 1920. Would it be a good thing to enact heavy handed tactics against an obviously violent political movement, the ideals of which were taken just as seriously by their participants in 1919. Mitchell’s campaign worked very well, so well in fact that by 1924 the incidents of extremism by the radical left had dropped significantly and finally, it seems that that since at least 1964 our country’s radical right has picked up Woodrow Wilson’s agenda and run with it. Why is it okay now?

Was it okay in 1920?

JP Morgan Bank
JPMorgan Chase & Co. | American bank

1863 Draft Riots

New York Draft Riots.

WWI produced 42,000 new millionaires
The Perils of Prosperity, 1914-1932

The Gilded Age
Gilded Age | Definition, History, & Mark Twain

that of 1873
Financial Panic of 1873

Panic of 1893 and Its Aftermath

The Anarchist Fighters
Wall Street Bombing 1920 | Federal Bureau of Investigation

cleansing of radical anti-Americanism
Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer Makes "The Case against the Reds"

Luigi Galiani
http://www.clevelandhs.org/ourpages/webdesign4/dane/history.html

Mario Buda
Mario Buda - anarchist

Prosecuting
Definition of prosecute | Dictionary.com

The Wall Street bombing however was never solved and was finally closed sixty years later in 1940. By 1919 WWI had become “another poor man’s war run by the rich

Sorry, I only made it that far, then laughed and just gave it up.

Uh, the bombing was in 1920, and the case was closed in 1940? That is not sixty years, that is twenty.

And WWI ended in 1918, it was already over by 1919.

Finally, do not confuse Anarchists with Communists. They are not the same thing, and Communism was still not seen as a major threat at the time. The Soviets were still trying to put their own house in order, and the Anarchists (primarily Italian in the US) were a big issue. With Galleanists conducting bombings and attacks from 1914 until 1932.

Wilson was a good president in that he kept us mostly out of the stupid war and his vision of the UN and League of Nations was good

his vision of the UN and League of Nations was good

His vision was bad. So bad in fact that the US stayed out of it.

So bad that many nations simply ignored it. And the series of wars while it was in existence shows how worthless it was. Japanese invasion of Manchuria, Second Sino-Japanese War, Italian-Abyssinian War, Spanish Civil War, the Soviet invasion of Finland, All that and more, and the treaties and demands they tried to impose, and finally Japan just walking out. They were a failure at stopping wars, a failure at disarmament, a failure in enforcing anything.

Uh, the bombing was in 1920, and the case was closed in 1940? That is not sixty years, that is twenty.

Finally, do not confuse Anarchists with Communists. They are not the same thing, and Communism was still not seen as a major threat at the time. The Soviets were still trying to put their own house in order, and the Anarchists (primarily Italian in the US) were a big issue. With Galleanists conducting bombings and attacks from 1914 until 1932.

Well since you haven't read the article at all, you have no idea what I was writing about with respect to that bombing and how politics changed with the candidacy of Barry Goldwater. You did however find a typo: thanks for that.

Checking wikipedia for answers is not a good idea; I listed plenty of sources for those who read it and can give competent discussion on the article and my conclusion.

1920 Wall Street bombing "unmatched" until McVeigh's OKC bomb? How does that work?
The targets and the size of the bombings along with a large death toll, that’s how.

Read - learn things…

It's in the article dude and it;s all sourced to verify it.
Lol 😂

As was already pointed out to you, your article is so riddled with errors, nobody would consider any of it credible or worth reading. I don’t mind bursting your bubble:

Your piece so fully lacks any scholarship or credibility that very few people read your tripe beyond one or two paragraphs.

Lol 😂

As was already pointed out to you, your article is so riddled with errors, nobody would consider any of it credible or worth reading. I don’t mind bursting your bubble:

Your piece so fully lacks any scholarship or credibility that very few people read your tripe beyond one or two paragraphs.
There are no errors; you and other far right-wingers are scared to death of it; that's your problem.

Well since you haven't read the article at all, you have no idea what I was writing about

Oh, I did read it. That should be obvious as I commented on how sloppy it was written, and it comes off more as a political manifesto than an actual historical document. But I find it strange that even after commenting on some bad mistakes, you claim I did not read it.

Is reading comprehension a problem you have very often?

In short, this is like all of the other similar manifestos you have written in here. Then turned around and demanded comments.

Then not like the comments when they are critical, and scream that the person making them is an idiot. This is not the first time you have done this, and now I mostly just laugh each time you do so.

Oh, I did read it. That should be obvious as I commented on how sloppy it was written, and it comes off more as a political manifesto than an actual historical document. But I find it strange that even after commenting on some bad mistakes, you claim I did not read it.

Is reading comprehension a problem you have very often?

In short, this is like all of the other similar manifestos you have written in here. Then turned around and demanded comments.

Then not like the comments when they are critical, and scream that the person making them is an idiot. This is not the first time you have done this, and now I mostly just laugh each time you do so.
You commented on nothing. You and your far right friends are scared to death of it, so you run like scared little kids.

Easy to whip you people.

1920 Wall Street bombing "unmatched" until McVeigh's OKC bomb? How does that work?

Well, since the "scholar" will not answer it, I guess that is up to me.

It was the largest in the US that was outwardly politically motivated. But there were many others, but they were motivated by labor issues and not anarchism as that one was. The worst was the LA Times Bombing of 1910 that killed 21, and the San Francisco Preparedness Day Bombing of 1916 that killed 10.

Then in 1975 there was the unsolved LaGuardia Bombing that killed 11.

Of course, the worst prior to OKC was the Bath School Disaster of 1927. Where a mentally ill man killed 44 people (45 including himself) in a protest over losing an election and having his taxes raised to fund the school. 36 of those killed were students.

But when it comes to single politically motivated attacks that was the worst. The Bath School Disaster actually killed more, but it was by a crazy person and not really "political". And the labor bombings were bad also, but once again less political than Wall Street and OKC.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back