The 10 Most Expensive States To Retire In 2022

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
And as usual, all blue. It's like a broken record.

Most Expensive States to Retire Research Summary

• The most expensive state to retire in is Hawaii, with a median home cost of $587,700 and an average annual cost of living at $60,700.
  • The least expensive state to retire in is Mississippi, with a median home cost of only $114,500 and an average annual cost of living at $46,084.
  • Florida has the highest retirement rate in the country, at 19.1%.
  • Alaska has the least percentage of retirees, at only 9.4% of their population.

For a lot of people, their dream job is being retired.

While we hope you don’t dread going to work, there is no denying that many people look forward to retirement. What better way to celebrate a life of hard work than to focus on personal projects, hobbies, and spending time with your friends and family?

Many retirees will relocate to find a location more suited to their new life of leisure and make the most of their retirement savings. According to the latest US Census bureau, over half a million adults over 65 moved states last year.

• The least expensive state to retire in is Mississippi, with a median home cost of only $114,500 and an average annual cost of living at $46,084.

Nuff said

Nuff said
Better than not being able to afford to live when you retire.

West Virginia looks like a good choice. Low cost of living for Old Timers and not that oppressively hot at all.

I made more money in my Blue State than I could have in a Red State.

I still can afford to live here, and I live in a nice neighborhood surrounded by nice people.
I can live where I’m at but winters are too cold, crime and homelessness is getting bad. We are getting a Motorcoach and travel so we’ll make our home that is senior friendly then travel anyway.

Forum List

Back