Thank You, Peter Norman and Australians.

Cajun

Rookie
Feb 1, 2014
in america it is black history month. now, i am not sure what all that is about but peter norman remains a hero of racial equality to many americans of all ethnicities and i just though i would let you all know he is not forgotten over here.

thank you.

15 PETER NORMAN
The order of the day having been read for the resumption of the debate on the motion of Dr Leigh— That this House:

(1) recognises the extraordinary athletic achievements of the late Peter Norman, who won the silver
medal in the 200 metres sprint running event at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, in a time of 20.06
seconds, which still stands as the Australian record;
(2) acknowledges the bravery of Peter Norman in donning an Olympic Project for Human Rights
badge on the podium, in solidarity with African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John
Carlos, who gave the ‘black power’ salute;
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the wrong done by Australia in failing to send him to the 1972
Munich Olympics, despite repeatedly qualifying; and
(4) belatedly recognises the powerful role that Peter Norman played in furthering racial equality— Debate resumed by Dr Leigh who moved, by leave, as an amendment—Omit paragraph (3), substitute:
(3) apologises to Peter Norman for the treatment he received upon his return to Australia, and the
failure to fully recognise his inspirational role before his untimely death in 2006; and
Debate continued.
Question—That the amendment be agreed to—put and passed.
Question—That the motion, as amended, be agreed to—put and passed.

Peter Norman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lgst3245%25252Bmexico-city-olympics-black-power-poster.jpg

^ The white guy. His support by wearing the badge ended his career because of the backlash from racists in Australia.

Last edited:
Who?

Peter Norman;

Black Power apology for Australian sprinter Peter Norman 48 years in the making | News.com.au

Norman, who died in 2006 aged 64, ran second in the men's 200m final and won the silver medal.

On the podium, he wore an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge to support African-American athletes Tommie Smith (gold) and John Carlos (bronze), who gave the black power salute.

In a 2005 interview, Norman said he supported Smith and Carlos because he was sympathetic to their situation.

At his funeral in 2006, Carlos said:

"We knew that what we were going to do was far greater than any athletic feat. He said, 'I'll stand with you'."

He said he expected to see fear, but he didn't. "I saw love. Peter never flinched (on the dais). He never turned his eyes, he never turned his head. He never said so much as 'ouch'."

Colour photo.
See the kangaroo emblem on his chest, and the badge above that.

Knowing what his fate would be from his Olympic officials, that took a lot of courage.

Last edited:
The Eureka Massacre

The Eureka Massacre

The Eureka Stockade was a fenced off enclosure of Diggers (miners) who in 1854 had raised a flag, made speeches of defiance and fired revolvers into the air. Unfortunately, stirring speeches and inspiring flags were no match for sound battle planning. After deciding to attack, the British colonial forces took less than 15 minutes to defeat the protesters and tear down their flag.

Even though the Diggers were slaughtered, over the subsequent centuries, their flag has come to symbolise very different things to different Australians.

In addition to the diverse composition of the protesters, the trial seemed to target non-Anglo races for prosecution. Ironically, their acquittal led to John Joseph, a black man from America, being carried around the streets in triumph by 10,000 people.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back