Thank you Newfies for 9/11 support

Kiki Cannoli

Have you met my shadow?
May 27, 2011
Really south of the border
You probably all know that Canada sent firefighters and Red Cross workers and later construction people to NY to help out.

But did you know that when the order was given for all flights to be grounded in North America, many US flights landed one after the other in the Gander International Airport in Labrador - the part of Newfoundland on the mainland. This is a very isolated spot.

6700 passengers & crew from 38 large airplanes landed one after the other, packed like sardines on the tarmac. 6700 is about the population of the town.

But the Newfies are a wonderful kind hearted people and they stepped up to the plate, making food and whatever else was needed. The biggest shortage was accomodations.

Again without hesitation they took the passengers into their homes, treating them like visiting relatives as only those generous people can.

They were treated so well that some passengers have gone back to Gander on this 10th ann. to visit their hosts and were greeted like long lost family members. One man said they were awestruck that these people would take perfect strangers into their homes.

:cool:

:clap2:

They are the best of our country in my mind.

I remember 9/11 clear as a bell. Ganders folks didn't think twice about opening up their homes, their hearts and their souls.

One family I really remember were out of Georgia. The dad was talking about screech and kippers. lololol.

They are our national treasure, but for an outsider it must have been such a trip to enter the Newf world.

I'm thrilled to death that America recognized what they did that day and in the days that followed.

I have just been listening to an interview with a UK firefighter who said that on 9/11 people stopped him while he was on duty that day and handed him money saying 'please send this to the firefighters of New York.

He, and his team, collected thousands of dollars that day.... and sent it to the firefighters in New York.

People are amazing.

Newfies had no choice in the matter, you could invade them in a row boat, they're all drunk all the time.

Forum List

Back