Thank GOD this fellow had his gun!

Obviously the carrying a Glock part was a tragic mistake!

Glocks work as intended.

With no manual safety they are very fast into action.
A person who does not understand the responsibility of gun ownership shot and killed a man and wounded his wife for no good reason. Isn't it society's responsibility to make sure that someone with the mental and emotional capacity to do such a thing cannot get a gun?

I'm not indicting guns. Don't defend them as if I were. I'm saying that we have a larger responsibility to public health and safety. The deranged should never have access to deadly weapons. Weapons that make such a tragedy possible. In the blink of an eye someone snapped and killed because he had the means to do so. Making guns more accessible will only insure more shameful killings will happen. Is there no sense of responsibility among the gun lovers who wear blinders to the sad effects of guns?

And the Easter Bunny is real.

You cannot predict mental status. Mental state is in the present or the past, not the future. There is no guarantee that a person, any person, will not kill or harm self or others. You want something that does not exist and cannot be done.

Last edited:
Why don't some people see the connection between guns and gun violence?

I think you got something here... 100% of all gun violence is committed with guns.

Powerful. Just powerful. :thup:
Why then is the solution to gun violence proffered by gun lovers is to merely add more guns?

There are plenty enough guns already.

Do you feel a solution would be to heavily restrict, if not totally remove, firearms from law-abiding citizens of the U.S.? There are a lot of really bad people out there, and most look like and act normal folks. But they're packing. And if I'm not allowed to carry a concealed firearm (even after taking 16 hours of instruction, submitting fingerprints, passing a background check) then how is that supposed to make anyone safer?

I've heard it all before. Guns kill instantly. Meat. Thermometers aren't deadly weapons, are they? They aren't designed to spray lead at high velocity. They aren't designed to kill.

Because this person didn't die form being stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer, being stabbed with a meat thermometer can't kill you ?

You asked what if he didn't have the gun.

All manner of things, including meat thermometers, can be used as deadly weapons.
Don't guns work better and faster as a deadly weapon? After all, that's why they were designed.

Curtis Reeves, is a retired Tampa police officer
Does being are tired Tampa policeofficerexcuse mentalinstability? Because nothing about shooting people for texting suggests full mental health.

He's an authoritarian whose only claim of to gun ownership is being a retired police officer, he's a different type altogether and should never be confused with law abiding citizens.

Point of fact. He was law-abiding right up the point he drew his weapon and fired.

bigrebnc's Rules on Guns and Cops, as interesting as they might be, don't mean too much in the real world.

I'm always perplexed by people who complain that our freedoms are being eroded while they rattle off a lists of 'shoulds' they would like to impose on the rest of us.

If our justice system isn't to your liking, you do have the option of leaving.

I think you got something here... 100% of all gun violence is committed with guns.

Powerful. Just powerful. :thup:
Why then is the solution to gun violence proffered by gun lovers is to merely add more guns?

There are plenty enough guns already.

Do you feel a solution would be to heavily restrict, if not totally remove, firearms from law-abiding citizens of the U.S.? There are a lot of really bad people out there, and most look like and act normal folks. But they're packing. And if I'm not allowed to carry a concealed firearm (even after taking 16 hours of instruction, submitting fingerprints, passing a background check) then how is that supposed to make anyone safer?
Eliminate the sale, manufacture, transport, possession, distribution, modification, importation and ownership of all handguns with barrels shorter than ten inches. Extend those restrictions to all weapons equipped with or modified to use an ammunition magazine holding more than six rounds.

Gu:mad:s are connected to gun violence. Not everyone's experience with guns is a fun filled, Ramboesque experience. Guns have killed too many innocents to justify their. Existence if only to provide knuckle dragging hicks a great time that includes no reading.

Glocks work as intended.

With no manual safety they are very fast into action.
A person who does not understand the responsibility of gun ownership shot and killed a man and wounded his wife for no good reason. Isn't it society's responsibility to make sure that someone with the mental and emotional capacity to do such a thing cannot get a gun?

I'm not indicting guns. Don't defend them as if I were. I'm saying that we have a larger responsibility to public health and safety. The deranged should never have access to deadly weapons. Weapons that make such a tragedy possible. In the blink of an eye someone snapped and killed because he had the means to do so. Making guns more accessible will only insure more shameful killings will happen. Is there no sense of responsibility among the gun lovers who wear blinders to the sad effects of guns?

You cannot predict mental status. Mental state is in the present or the past, not the future. There is no guarantee that a person, any person, will not kill or harm self or others. You want something that does not exist and cannot be done.

Interestingly enough, we have made great advances in defining mental illnesses and predicting behavior. Perhaps you haven't heard of the DSM-IV. Nervous and neurological disorders are organic and have identifiable symptoms like any illness.

There are not enough details with regard to the case in this thread, however, since Adam Lanza's mom had begun the process of having him adjudicated as mentally ill AND given all the evidence that was recovered from Lanza's computer -- his obsession with mass murders -- it was not a matter of if, but when.

People can keep mental illnesses hidden, especially the neurotic variety, but a trained clinician can talk to a patient for a few minutes and get a sense of what may be going on.

It's interesting that after the shooting he sort of just quietly gave himself up -- a lot of pent up anger and rage was discharged through the gun and afterwards, he was drained and perhaps then aware of what he had done.

I know how Reeves felt. In a darkened theater, cell phone light is quite distracting. People who use them during a movie are rude assholes with little regard for people around them...just like most smokers. I haven't had the urge to shoot some one for texting in a movie theater but I have thought about flinging a cup of ice cold soda over them and their phone. Sorry but my sympathies are reserved for people who don't offend others.

Pssst.. the movie hadn't started yet. Duh.

Psssst... Sometimes the theater lights are dimmed or cut off completely during the previews. Reeves would not have been annoyed by texting alone...that damn cell phone light was in his eyes....Duhhhhhhh!

Does being are tired Tampa policeofficerexcuse mentalinstability? Because nothing about shooting people for texting suggests full mental health.

He's an authoritarian whose only claim of to gun ownership is being a retired police officer, he's a different type altogether and should never be confused with law abiding citizens.

Point of fact. He was law-abiding right up the point he drew his weapon and fired.

bigrebnc's Rules on Guns and Cops, as interesting as they might be, don't mean too much in the real world.

I'm always perplexed by people who complain that our freedoms are being eroded while they rattle off a lists of 'shoulds' they would like to impose on the rest of us.

If our justice system isn't to your liking, you do have the option of leaving.
I'm perplexed that you would so easily give up liberty to have a feeling safety.

CNN) -- A man was shot dead and his wife wounded after an argument over texting in a movie theater Monday afternoon in Wesley Chapel, Florida, Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said.
The suspect, Curtis Reeves, is a retired Tampa police officer, Nocco said. He will be charged with second-degree homicide, according to Nocco.
Nocco identified the victims as Chad and Nicole Oulson, who he said were sitting in a row in front of another couple. An earlier release from the sheriff's department said the shooting occurred before a showing of the movie "Lone Survivor."
"There was an altercation because the victim was using his cell phone. He was texting," Nocco said. "This led to a verbal altercation, the verbal altercation escalated."
Reeves pulled out a .380-caliber handgun and as Nicole Oulson raised her hand, the shooter fired once, Nocco said.
A witness said the shooting happened during previews to the movie. Charles Cummings told reporters that Chad Oulson sat two seats from him and his son. Reeves was upset by Oulson's cell phone use and the two argued, Reeves then got up and left the theater for a brief time, Cummings said.
"He came back very irritated," Cummings said. Nocco told reporters that the shooter had gone to report the encounter to an employee.
The two men started arguing again and the cell phone user told the other man he was just texting his daughter, Cummings said. A few silent seconds elapsed and the argument started again.
Nocco said Oulson confronted the shooter about going to the theater employee.
Cummings said the argument got louder.
"Their voices started going up. There seemed to almost be a confrontation," Cummings said. "Somebody throws popcorn; I'm not sure who threw it. And then bang, he was shot."
The victim staggered over and fell on Cummings and his son. A nurse who was in the theater performed CPR on the victim until the paramedics arrived, said Cummings, who like his son, had spatters of blood on his clothes.
The shooter sat down and put the gun on his lap, and an off-duty deputy from Sumter County who was there to watch the film made sure the shooter didn't leave.
Nocco said Reeves was at the theater with his wife, and there was no indication that the two couples involved knew each other.
The shooting happened at about 1:30 p.m. inside one of the theaters at the Grove 16 complex, sheriff's spokeswoman Melanie Snow said.
"This was an isolated altercation between two guests that escalated unexpectedly. The safety, security and comfort of our guests and team members are always our top priorities, and we are truly heartbroken by this incident," Cobb Theatres, which operates the Grove complex, said in a written statement.

Well, that's the last text he'll ever send.

Guns protect no one. Owning a gun just makes it dramatically more likely that you or someone you know and love will be the first victim.

And thank God you only want the POLICE to be armed. :cuckoo:

Interestingly enough, we have made great advances in defining mental illnesses and predicting behavior. Perhaps you haven't heard of the DSM-IV. Nervous and neurological disorders are organic and have identifiable symptoms like any illness.

There are not enough details with regard to the case in this thread, however, since Adam Lanza's mom had begun the process of having him adjudicated as mentally ill AND given all the evidence that was recovered from Lanza's computer -- his obsession with mass murders -- it was not a matter of if, but when.

People can keep mental illnesses hidden, especially the neurotic variety, but a trained clinician can talk to a patient for a few minutes and get a sense of what may be going on.

It's interesting that after the shooting he sort of just quietly gave himself up -- a lot of pent up anger and rage was discharged through the gun and afterwards, he was drained and perhaps then aware of what he had done.

:eusa_shhh::eusa_shhh: It's been updated to the DSM-V. Better catch up.

So he was standing his ground?

Obviously not, since he shot a white guy. SYG laws in Florida only auto-apply when the guy getting shot is black.

Except, according to the State of Florida, the overwhelming majority of folks who have benefited from that law are BLACK! I suggest you do some research before you make a complete fool out of yourself....uh-oh...too late!

Obviously not, since he shot a white guy. SYG laws in Florida only auto-apply when the guy getting shot is black.

1606488_591117450970803_496650762_o.jpg

you guys just cant help yourself to the bullshit can ya

Double murder charges dropped against Florida man under 'Stand Your Ground'
Gabriel Mobley received immunity from the charges after appeals court judges found 2-1 that he was justified in the 2008 killings because he was scared for his life and was defending himself when he fatally shot two 24-year-old men during a brawl outside a Chili's eatery.

Double murder charges dropped against Florida man under 'Stand Your Ground'* - NY Daily News

Yes thank God a psycho ex cop who should have never been given a gun defended himself against deadly flying popcorn.

Forum List

Back