Thank GOD for the Electoral College

I agree it should remain. But I'll take a moment to point out that the last time a President lost the popular vote what followed was a complete disaster ending in tens of thousands of our soldiers killed and maimed followed by economic collapse. I hope Trump fares better.

I agree it should remain. But I'll take a moment to point out that the last time a President lost the popular vote what followed was a complete disaster ending in tens of thousands of our soldiers killed and maimed followed by economic collapse. I hope Trump fares better.
This is largely due to the smear campaign run by the Democrats. The MSM is their accomplice! Fortunately, their effort ends up in vain and the Democrats are at their weakest now.
Also, don't forget the margin is tiny.

I just want to point out that the founding fathers put in this provision in order to allow a final check, so as to impede a tyrant from become president, and also the right of the electoral college to vote with their conscience.

Thank GOD for the Electoral College.

The calls for its repeal are tragically ignorant.

That is all.

You're not fooling anyone. If the results were the opposite, Hillary winning the electoral votes and Trump winning the popular vote,

you'd be pissing and moaning to high heaven.
Sure. We'd be out looting and attacking Hillary supporters.

God had nothing to with the electoral college.

But, as every year or so, I agree with Ilar.

The EC is the way to go.

Ah, so you have no logical point got it. /eyeroll

The EC is a great concept and has worked well as a check and balance for us. I was explaining to a colleague at work why the EC is necessary but many on the left seem to think popular vote is always the way to go. They don't seem to get the whole check and balance thing. And it appears mentioning The Federalist Papers just shuts them down.

The EC is a great concept and has worked well as a check and balance for us. I was explaining to a colleague at work why the EC is necessary but many on the left seem to think popular vote is always the way to go. They don't seem to get the whole check and balance thing. And it appears mentioning The Federalist Papers just shuts them down.
Dude, they don't what is The Federalist Papers. That means nothing, really. What is apparent (here I agree with you), the EC is a creation that includes the states' varied interests indirectly as well as those of the voters of the states.

Yes, but I took it to mean that the Electoral College should be allowed to vote with their conscience as a check on tyranny.

I also do not take "tyranny of the majority" to mean necessarily the popular vote, but could also mean the majority in a certain state. Or even the government oppressing a particular group, be it ethnic minority or political minority.

Speaking about the Electoral College, Alexander Hamilton wrote in the Federalist N. 68:

"The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States."

I would underline the words requisite qualifications, low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity.

The Federalist #68

Also, James Madison made some interesting points in No. 51:

"It is of great importance in a republic not only to guard the society against the oppression of its rulers, but to guard one part of the society against the injustice of the other part. Different interests necessarily exist in different classes of citizens. If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure. There are but two methods of providing against this evil: the one by creating a will in the community independent of the majority -- that is, of the society itself; the other, by comprehending in the society so many separate descriptions of citizens as will render an unjust combination of a majority of the whole very improbable, if not impracticable."

The Federalist #51

Last edited:
Dude, they don't what is The Federalist Papers. That means nothing, really. What is apparent (here I agree with you), the EC is a creation that includes the states' varied interests indirectly as well as those of the voters of the states.

Jake, can you rewrite the first 2 sentences in English please. Thanks.

Thank GOD for the Electoral College.

The calls for its repeal are tragically ignorant.

That is all.
Funny. Trump Tweeted that the Electoral College is a "disaster for a democracy"

and yes he called America a democracy too

so what were these people cheering on?

clear.png
Agree x 4
WillHaftawaite westwall hazlnut ZZ PUPPS
clear.png
Winner x 2
BuckToothMoron JimBowie1958

and calling Trump tragically ignorant? Few have gone there before. Three chairs for Liability (electrified of course)

Forum List

Back