Texas redistricting - You won't believe it

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Texas got two new congressional seats due to population growth, 95% of which was non-white. Their bogus gerrymandering negates that fact. Exhibit A (or B perhaps) why we need nonpartisan committees to take care of this henceforth. MUST prevent this kind of BS.

AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday signed into law new political maps drawn by Republicans that cement the GOP’s grip on power for the next decade but blunt the voting strength of nonwhite voters who fueled Texas’ population surge.​
Critics say the redrawn congressional, legislative and State Board of Education maps do not reflect the major growth of the Hispanic community, which made up nearly half of the state’s population gain since 2020. People of color accounted for 95% of the state’s population boom over the last decade, with much of the growth concentrated in cities and suburban areas, census data show.​
The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund has already asked a federal court to toss out the maps, arguing the redrawn boundaries violate the federal Voting Rights Act and dilute the voting strength of Hispanic voters. The new maps are generally expected to withstand legal challenges, but battles over aspects of the boundaries could last several years.​
A second federal lawsuit against the maps was filed Monday, with advocacy organization Voto Latino and a group of individual voters arguing the new U.S. House boundaries dilute Latino and Black voting strength in violation of the Voting Rights Act.​
Because Abbott signed the redistricting plans before a Nov. 15 deadline set by state lawmakers, the primary election is slated for March 1, 2022.​

Texas got two new congressional seats due to population growth, 95% of which was non-white. Their bogus gerrymandering negates that fact. Exhibit A (or B perhaps) why we need nonpartisan committees to take care of this henceforth. MUST prevent this kind of BS.

AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday signed into law new political maps drawn by Republicans that cement the GOP’s grip on power for the next decade but blunt the voting strength of nonwhite voters who fueled Texas’ population surge.​
Critics say the redrawn congressional, legislative and State Board of Education maps do not reflect the major growth of the Hispanic community, which made up nearly half of the state’s population gain since 2020. People of color accounted for 95% of the state’s population boom over the last decade, with much of the growth concentrated in cities and suburban areas, census data show.​
The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund has already asked a federal court to toss out the maps, arguing the redrawn boundaries violate the federal Voting Rights Act and dilute the voting strength of Hispanic voters. The new maps are generally expected to withstand legal challenges, but battles over aspects of the boundaries could last several years.​
A second federal lawsuit against the maps was filed Monday, with advocacy organization Voto Latino and a group of individual voters arguing the new U.S. House boundaries dilute Latino and Black voting strength in violation of the Voting Rights Act.​
Because Abbott signed the redistricting plans before a Nov. 15 deadline set by state lawmakers, the primary election is slated for March 1, 2022.​

Such is the racist right.

If it was a democrat governor, the republicans would be bitching. Someone is always going to bitch.
While I agree with you, that doesn't make it right.

OTH?

. . . this is what the globalists get by loose immigration policies I suppose.

IMO? By the time the situation is rectified, I think the left is just making the assumption that these Hispanics will necessarily vote for the left. . . I don't think that this is a safe bet, especially in border states.

No one takes the Hispanic vote in Florida for granted, and the older generations of Hispanic voters in the south, from what I have studied, do not necessarily trend left.

Such is the racist right.
,o1 a1-2.jpg

OTH?

IMO? By the time the situation is rectified, I think the left is just making the assumption that these Hispanics will necessarily vote for the left. . . I don't think that this is a safe bet, especially in border states.

No one takes the Hispanic vote in Florida for granted, and the older generations of Hispanic voters in the south, from what I have studied, do not necessarily trend left.
The left sure doesn't want the Cuban refugees.

Political districts are gerrymandered. Always have been.

OTH?

Villalobos promptly set Varney straight. “I think a lot of people know, or should know, that Hispanics generally are very conservative.” His triumph, he explained, wasn’t stunning; he had simply met his voters where they were, with a “conservative agenda” of low taxes, limited government spending, and pro-business policies.

Although Republicans have never ever limited their spending or have low taxes, in fact they raise taxes just as well as Democrats do.

Elections have consequences-Barry Hussein.

Nothing is non-partisan. Especially committees.

The only good solution I've seen for getting rid of gerrymandering is multi-rep districts with consistent boundaries - usually statewide.

New Topics

Forum List

Back