Texas man fatally shoots 11-year-old daughter while hunting, authorities say

The article doesn't give the details of exactly how the father was trying to unload the gun. You are assuming he actively shot it to release the round that killed the girl. He could very well have been trying to take the gun apart to get the round out and with his focus of attention on doing that, it went off.

Nobody knows until the investigation is completed, but as yet it's still considered a tragic accident
One thing's for sure, he didn't have the muzzle oriented in a safe direction. Sounds like he had his head up his ass.

One thing's for sure, he didn't have the muzzle oriented in a safe direction. Sounds like he had his head up his ass.

And who knows for sure the exact circumstances? Maybe it was as you say. Or maybe he did and the girl walked in front of him at the wrong moment. Nobody can be perfect all the time. It's also similar to even Olympic swimmers drown. Sometimes, shit happens even in the best of circumstances.

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.

sounded a little high.

There are a lot of things that cause more deaths than accidental gun discharges.

But a little training could stop a lot of accidental gun discharges.

It's low hanging fruit.

Actually it was way low. That 480000 number are only Americans.

8 MILLION people die from smoking each year and yet liberals don't touch cigs. Why not?

Ask one of the 458 killed, or their family members, if "458 is peanuts."

Ask the families of the 1000 children who drowned in swimming pools each year:

The family swimming pool and bathtub are killing at a far faster rate than accidental gun deaths.

Hard for me to say this, but I do agree. Regardless of the circumstances and what he woulda, coulda, shoulda done is beside the point. I can not even imagine his grief and what he has to live with the rest of his life. Very heartbreaking
Please don't take my remark as acceptance of the caviler attitude toward gun safety as demonstrated by gun nuts.

The family swimming pool and bathtub are killing at a far faster rate than accidental gun deaths.
Yet I don't know of anyone who opposes common sense regulation of swimming pools.

Your deflection is noted. It is total nonsense, of course. As any thinking person would see, immediately.

No need to go further, it would be a waste of time.

Tragically kids die from poison and accidental drowning and freaking dog bites but this one gets legs because it involved a firearm. Put it in the "never let a tragedy go to waste" file.

What percentage of actual gun use resulted in accidental death?

People use guns for sport, hunting, target practice millions of times if not tens of millions of times annually.

in 2019 15,544,849 hunting licenses were issued in the USA

We can assume all of those people went hunting at least once that year.

How many people shot skeet, or participated in target shooting for fun or competition in the same year? I think 8 million is a low ball estimate.

So we can say with a high degree of confidence that in 2019 there were at least 15,544,849 plus 8 million instances of people using a gun in the United states.

so 458/23511849 =.0000195 or .00195% of gun uses in 2019 resulted in accidental death.

And in all probability my estimate of all uses of firearms annually is really low.

So yes if any other activity had a risk of death that was .00195% or less it would be praised to the heavens as being one of the safest activities known to man

Accidental car death is worse......39,107

And to think, we allow 16 year olds to drive cars without adults.......we don't allow 16 year olds to buy guns.........

Cars, according to fascist, left wing, anti-gun extremist logic, need to be banned...only the government should have access to cars and trucks.....

In 2018, accidental gun deaths accounted for 1% (458) of total gun-related deaths (39,740) in the United States.

458 isn't trivial.

Sure it is when you take into account there are more than 300 million guns in the country.

Aside from street thugs and criminals, some of the most irresponsible gun owners are hunters. I'm not knocking hunting, but the biggest portion of your average hunters aren't really gun people. They don't carry a weapon every day, many of them don't even own an AR-15 or an AK-47, and they don't shoot much. If they own a handgun for self-protection, it usually stays locked up, unloaded, or resides in a drawer.

They're what's known as in the gun culture as Fudds. Once a year they break out their bolt or lever-action rifle that belonged to their father/grandfather, put a couple rounds through it at the gun range, shoot a deer or two, then put their rifle away until next year. Most of them don't have a clue as to the proper maintenance, cleaning, and care of their rifles. Trust me, I've seen enough beat up old rusty guns at the public range. I've had to chew a few asses out for the way they don't observe where their muzzle is pointing. That's why I threw together a range in my back yard, so I don't have to be around those jokers.

That sounds nothing like any of the hunters I know.

This is a fallacious appeal to emotion; it does not change the fact that 458 accidemtal deaths comnpared to 423,000,000 million guns approaches statistical zero.
Control yourself. I have no problem with people owning guns. I've owned three.

I have a problem with IDIOTS owning guns. And I've known MANY gun owners who easily fit that description. Some can barely read.

And finally, I'll bet you'd reconsider your flippant remark about accidental gun deaths "approaching statistical zero" if you, or someone you cared about (if there is such a person) were the one who died because some moron was able to easily get a gun he was too fucking stupid to handle carefully.

I can't imagine anything more devastating than for a father to know he killed his own young daughter. Others will point out his stupid actions and lack of respect for gun safety rules, and he probably deserves all of that, but for right now, I can only pity him.
I have no pity for the father but the rest of the family I have sorrow for…

Forum List

Back