Texas legislature close to passing bill to allow concealed carry on college campuses.

Texas Legislature takes aim at campus carry bill, gets mixed reactions - Purdue Exponent: City: gun debate, ty jepson, guns, texas, legislature

Just like to get everyone's opinion on this. Before you post knee-jerk reactions, please think clearly about what is involved.

The real question is, will this really solve the problem schools like Columbine had experienced, on that dreadful day of April 20th 1999? If a student had the ability to take out one of those two boys, HAD guns been allowed, would it have prevented the massive killings that many still remember? What of the student who comes in, shortly after the gunshots, to see an unknown classmate left standing with a gun in his hand? With heightened adrenaline and fear, who is to say that another victim wouldn't have resulted from the shootings? There is no easy answer here, and it's an issue that needs to be looked into more deeply from every angle.

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll be allowed at D K Royal during gametime. I can see some drunk honkey shooting off live rounds like an idiot after a Longhorns TD.

I'll bet my front row seat in Hell that guns are already on these campuses, outlawing guns on campus works about as well as outlawing marijuana and beer on campus and I can tell you from personal experience how unsuccessful those laws are.:smoke:

In my personal life, I look at it this way, and if I were still a college student I would likely do the same....

IF a facility has proper SECURITY (fences, armed guards, photo-ID requirements, etc...) then I will CONSIDER entering it without the means to protect myself.

If it does not have proper security, I will generally go out of my way to avoid entering unless absolutely necessary, if I cannot carry a gun there.

My mentality is very simple... If you're not going to provide security, then I have to provide it. If you don't and won't let me, I will likely avoid your establishment. Whether it's a restaurant, a club, a business, a school, etc...

Texas Legislature takes aim at campus carry bill, gets mixed reactions - Purdue Exponent: City: gun debate, ty jepson, guns, texas, legislature

Just like to get everyone's opinion on this. Before you post knee-jerk reactions, please think clearly about what is involved.

The real question is, will this really solve the problem schools like Columbine had experienced, on that dreadful day of April 20th 1999? If a student had the ability to take out one of those two boys, HAD guns been allowed, would it have prevented the massive killings that many still remember? What of the student who comes in, shortly after the gunshots, to see an unknown classmate left standing with a gun in his hand? With heightened adrenaline and fear, who is to say that another victim wouldn't have resulted from the shootings? There is no easy answer here, and it's an issue that needs to be looked into more deeply from every angle.

Comparisons to columbine arent really applicable as that is a high school, and I know of very few people who think letting students in a high school carry is a good idea.

At a college you have people who have valid concealed carry permits, and are of age. The rationale for denying them thier rights is far less.

I wonder if they'll be allowed at D K Royal during gametime. I can see some drunk honkey shooting off live rounds like an idiot after a Longhorns TD.

Then you know nothing about the responsibilty required in having a concealed carry license or the consequences in violating the terms.

Perhaps you should not speak on issues you know nothing about.

Not likely. This legislation doesn't allow any idiot to carry a gun. Getting a concealed handgun license requires training and an in-depth FBI background check. Also, those with concealed carry permits are more harshly treated when they break the law regarding firearms violations. Let's not forget that you have to be 21 years of age to even own a handgun, so at best, the youngest concealed carrier would be this age. You won't have 17 and 18 year-olds running around with guns at school. If they do they're breaking the law and subject to punishment.

I can't understand how the law that did not allow this came to be in the first place. If you have the permit what is the problem? We are talking college here, these are not children. They are adults and just because the building is a learning institution does not mean that it should be treated differently than any other building or place people gather.

Comparisons to columbine arent really applicable as that is a high school, and I know of very few people who think letting students in a high school carry is a good idea.

At a college you have people who have valid concealed carry permits, and are of age. The rationale for denying them thier rights is far less.

I don't know anyone that want high school kids to be able to carry but I know many that see things differently for the teachers. This is not specific to this particular law but is down the same ally...

Why should someone w/ a CCW have to give up his gun when on a college campus?
What's the justification for the current prohibition?
Is it based on reason, or simple fear of guns?
If the former, what's the argument?

Why should someone w/ a CCW have to give up his gun when on a college campus?
What's the justification for the current prohibition?
Is it based on reason, or simple fear of guns?
If the former, what's the argument?

In MOST of the states I'm familiar with the legislation actually reads to ban the possession of all weapons on the property of any educational facility unless you have direct written permission from the Principal, Dean, Headmaster, or Chairman of the Board of Education as appropriate.

It's the standard failed arguement of "No Weapons = No Violence".

Personally, I ignore the Communistwealth of Massachusetts' provision to this effect quite often when I walk across school property in my neighborhood or college properties in Worcester or Boston with a loaded handgun as I go about my daily business.

I'm in favor of it, and the guy from the Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club said it perfectly:

"Banning guns from campus doesn't actually stop people from bringing guns on campus. Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, every university shooting you can name, banned guns from campus," he wrote. "But think about it, who are the people that are going to follow the law? People that aren't likely to break it in the first place."

Not likely. This legislation doesn't allow any idiot to carry a gun. Getting a concealed handgun license requires training and an in-depth FBI background check. Also, those with concealed carry permits are more harshly treated when they break the law regarding firearms violations. Let's not forget that you have to be 21 years of age to even own a handgun, so at best, the youngest concealed carrier would be this age. You won't have 17 and 18 year-olds running around with guns at school. If they do they're breaking the law and subject to punishment.

Something to make a note of however is that many of the people who are for this law are also against repealing several if not all of the things you mentioned. Such as it having to be concealed, requiring training, requiring an in-depth FBI background check, and having to be 21. So all of those laws can change in the future.

Something to make a note of however is that many of the people who are for this law are also against repealing several if not all of the things you mentioned. Such as it having to be concealed, requiring training, requiring an in-depth FBI background check, and having to be 21. So all of those laws can change in the future.

I'm afraid I'm not planning to take your word for this, so feel free to substantiate your claim any time now.

The AGE issue is a FEDERAL statute, so that's not changing any time soon.

The other things (concealed, training, and background checks) all vary from State to State with the particular firearms laws of that location. What I have to do to get my Resident Permit in MA is very different than what I do to get my non-resident NH permit. Both differ from what CT, VA, TX, FL, CA, etc...each require.

I'm afraid I'm not planning to take your word for this, so feel free to substantiate your claim any time now.

You don't think there are people who want gun laws where you don't need a background check or don't need to be 21? Or where you don't need to have it concealed? :cuckoo:

New Topics

Forum List

Back