Texas: Birds. WTF?!

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
Someone send me the below video in my email. This is in Texas, literally looks like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" but in RL, watch ALL the video for when more of the birds fly in in MASSIVE numbers and land on autos and just sit there, they ALL look like crows. Bizarro. Exactly like in "The Birds"

The duration of the video is 2 minutes and 50 seconds:

Someone send me the below video in my email. This is in Texas, literally looks like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" but in RL, watch ALL the video for when more of the birds fly in in MASSIVE numbers and land on autos and just sit there, they ALL look like crows. Bizarro. Exactly like in "The Birds"

Those are Grackles. Noisy but basically harmless.

just another reason to avoid Walmart

• Banned

This:

1592415355490.png

This:

View attachment 351468

Don't think so, the tail doesn't look long enough and the beak looks wrong.

iu

I grew up in Oklahoma just north of the Texas border.
There are large rural areas that have huge roosts of crows numbering in the ten's of thousands.
Oklahoma allows shooting crows year around and there isn't a limit on the number you can kill. The local farmers welcome anyone to come on their land and shoot crows because they ravage their peanut crops, and fields of sunflowers that the seeds are used for feed.
There is also a couple of state parks with well over a million crows that people go to in RV campers and shoot crows for days and even weeks.
I don't remember needing a hunting license. Just bring your shotgun and plenty of shells.
The best hunting times are early in the morning when the crows are flying away from the tree's where they roost at night. And in the evening close to dusk when the crows have to fly back and land in their roost.
You have to be a fairly good shot to bring one down but there is plenty to shoot at. ... :cool:

Last edited:
  • Banned

This:

View attachment 351468

iu

I cannot remember if I see these things when I was in Texas or perhaps I did, they also had these things in trees I was told many hundreds of them and you could hear them mainly at night making a weird noise all together that was strangely hypnotic, they are called Cicada's, you could not see them only hear them. They look like this:

1592416740850.png

"People sometimes describe night-calling insects as cicadas. But typically, cicadas call during the day, and what we're hearing at night are crickets and katydids." (pronounced katy-dids)

This:

View attachment 351468

iu

I cannot remember if I see these things when I was in Texas or perhaps I did, they also had these things in trees I was told many hundreds of them and you could hear them mainly at night making a weird noise all together that was strangely hypnotic, they are called Cicada's, you could not see them only hear them. They look like this:

View attachment 351481

Cicada

If you're worried about birds that "attack" then be careful during nesting season, Mockingbirds and Swallows are notorious for dive bombing anyone that comes within their nest protective territory. They're doing close flybys to scare you off as they see you as a potential predator, on accident they may actually bump into someone.

This:

View attachment 351468

iu

View attachment 351481

Cicada

Do they have them in New Mexico or are they only in Texas? I would think yes also in NM as it borders Texas.

This:

View attachment 351468

iu

View attachment 351481

Cicada

Do they have them in New Mexico or are they only in Texas? I would think yes also in NM as it borders Texas.

Grackles? Yup, they're all over NM also.

I'll lay $5 on grackle ... plus 25¢ commission ...

The crows around here make a distinct "caw" sound ... these birds have a whiny pathetic sound, almost like an immature or female human ... do you hear the high pitched "whir"? ... kinda makes you feel nagged ... the person who shot this video forgot get something and is going to get yelled at when they get home ... more like North by Northwest than The Birds ... less bloody is all ...

Open a bag of potato chips on the beach sometime ... now that's like The Birds ...

This:

View attachment 351468

iu

View attachment 351481

Cicada

They seem to like landing on sweaty backs whenever they come out, ggrr!

Forum List

Back