Texas Abortion law stands

Women need to make it their business to know. There are home pregnancy tests that can tell in 48 hours. There's Plan B sold over the counter. Stop making excuses. Women are not helpless. They know what a calendar is.
That doesn't even begin to address the issue. What about all the married women who have trimester abortions because their life is endangered or because the fetuse is so badly damaged it most likely wouldn't survive anyway. Stop making excuses for this stupid worthless law. It doesn't hold water.

That doesn't even begin to address the issue. What about all the married women who have trimester abortions because their life is endangered or because the fetuse is so badly damaged it most likely wouldn't survive anyway. Stop making excuses for this stupid worthless law. It doesn't hold water.
Most abortions are none of those things. They are for convenience and can be resolved by looking at the calendar.

Most abortions are none of those things. They are for convenience and can be resolved by looking at the calendar.
Your answer implies that the law is unconstitutional because it lumps everybody into one category which some view as improper ( prejudgmental ) would be bigoted and / or even racist.

Your answer implies that the law is unconstitutional because it lumps everybody into one category which some view as improper ( prejudgmental ) would be bigoted and / or even racist.
Ohhhh. Wayciss, WAAAYYYYCISSS. Everything is racist. If the law is unconstitutional exceptions will be carved out. I do not see this rule as particularly burdensome. The optimum to the left is abortion on demand including post birth abortion up to some age to be determined.

Ohhhh. Wayciss, WAAAYYYYCISSS. Everything is racist. If the law is unconstitutional exceptions will be carved out. I do not see this rule as particularly burdensome. The optimum to the left is abortion on demand including post birth abortion up to some age to be determined.
Everything isn't racist, the founding principle of the United States equality and justice before the law is not racist.perhaps we should start honoring that by getting rid of this horrible law.

Everything isn't racist, the founding principle of the United States equality and justice before the law is not racist.perhaps we should start honoring that by getting rid of this horrible law.
You do that .

In yet more late-night happenings, most of the conservative contingent of the Supreme Court let the Texas abortion ban stand just before midnight Wednesday.

The law went into effect early Wednesday morning, which has now left the second largest state in the country with virtually no access to legal abortions. The law bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, before many people even know that they’re pregnant.
The Texas law was crafted purposefully to make lawsuits difficult, as the law will be carried out by individual vigilantes and not state officials — therefore leaving no clear person to sue, at least before an individual has brought a suit against anyone “aiding or abetting” a post-six week abortion. The conservatives clung to that as rationale for denying the injunction.

Chief Justice John Roberts and the three liberal justices all wrote individual dissents.

“The court’s order is stunning,” Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote scathingly. “Presented with an application to enjoin a flagrantly unconstitutional law engineered to prohibit women from exercising their constitutional rights and evade judicial scrutiny, a majority of justices have opted to bury their heads in the sand.”

First of all, I do not believe abortion is a constitutional right. Roe v Wade is widely seen as a decision by a liberal SCOTUS that stretches the right to privacy quite a bit. One day maybe this court will face that issue head on, is abortion a constitutional right or isn't it? The other thing is, should this be a federal decision or should it be up to the states to determine their own rules. I think I need to study the thinking about federalism a little more, IMHO the federal gov't shouldn't be making laws that the state and local gov'ts can and should decide for themselves.

You're wrong. If an issue like women being in control of their bodies without the interference of godbotherers, it must be national. Imagine the Christian right having the total control. Yet you guys bellow about fascism. Turn it up.

I have looked after my own well being my entire life. I see no reason why other women can't do the same.
Good for you, no empathy for other women, that's just great, you should go out and celebrate ! Keep thinking of only yourself. That's a good trump value. The hell with everybody else.

Good for you, no empathy for other women, that's just great, you should go out and celebrate ! Keep thinking of only yourself. That's a good trump value. The hell with everybody else.
Expecting other women to exercise care over their own bodies is not a lack of empathy. It's expecting them to act like responsible adults.

Expecting other women to exercise care over their own bodies is not a lack of empathy. It's expecting them to act like responsible adults.
It's nice to have a perfect life like yours, no unforeseen events, no unexpected surprises, a reasonable education, good support system in place. I just wish everyone had that, it really makes a difference in how your life unfolds

It's nice to have a perfect life like yours, no unforeseen events, no unexpected surprises, a reasonable education, good support system in place. I just wish everyone had that, it really makes a difference in how your life unfolds
None of that is true. You made it up because it fits your narrative. It's what you want to believe. I will say that my background as homeless, living on the streets of New York City did play a huge part in forming my opinions. I learned to take care of myself. No one is going to do it for me. If I don't want to get pregnant the entirety of that burden rests with me. No one will help me, care for me or swoop in to make baby disappear. Yes, in a way I wish all women had that kind of self reliance burned into their souls and scarred upon their bodies. I wish they had it, no matter the pain they have to bear.

I have a masters degree in history and English. I have a law degree. I never had a single student loan. I paid for everything myself. I earned the money by beating the blood out of wimps such as yourself, then passing on them.

Don't presume.

None of that is true. You made it up because it fits your narrative. It's what you want to believe. I will say that my background as homeless, living on the streets of New York City did play a huge part in forming my opinions. I learned to take care of myself. No one is going to do it for me. If I don't want to get pregnant the entirety of that burden rests with me. No one will help me, care for me or swoop in to make baby disappear. Yes, in a way I wish all women had that kind of self reliance burned into their souls and scarred upon their bodies. I wish they had it, no matter the pain they have to bear.

I have a masters degree in history and English. I have a law degree. I never had a single student loan. I paid for everything myself. I earned the money by beating the blood out of wimps such as yourself, then passing on them.

Don't presume.

You assumed I was talking about you. I wasn't, I don't know you at all. You don't know me at all. You don't know the women you are judging. This law group every woman is if they were worthless scum of the Earth that didn't know any better. That is total bigotry, so I can only surmise that people that support this law are bigots also.

Don't presume.

I'm no wimp, but from what you've said, I now know you are a cynical, embittered person. I just hope you're happy with your life. I am with mine. We all rise when we lift others up, that is my motto I live by. Sure if you were offended by anything I said, I really can't stand blatant disregard for the law by people that create laws. I consider the Texas abortion law to be criminal in nature. And anyone who could agree with a blanket law like that with flagrant disregard for previous legal findings is a criminal as well.

I'm no wimp, but from what you've said, I now know you are a cynical, embittered person. I just hope you're happy with your life. I am with mine. We all rise when we lift others up, that is my motto I live by. Sure if you were offended by anything I said, I really can't stand blatant disregard for the law by people that create laws. I consider the Texas abortion law to be criminal in nature. And anyone who could agree with a blanket law like that with flagrant disregard for previous legal findings is a criminal as well.
Hee hee. How democrat of you.

Let me ask you a question: Are you familiar with the Dred Scott decision by the Supreme Court, some 160 years ago? It was a terrible judicial ruling, don't you think? And it was eventually overturned, right? Should we not as a people re-examine previous legal findings such as that one? If so, then who is to say what laws should be challenged and what laws not challenged? The answer to that question in our judicial system is the Supreme court itself, they review cases brought before them and decide which have merit or standing, right? I do not see a blatant disregard for the current law that you do (Roe v Wade), that is in fact what legislatures and Congress is supposed to do, create laws that may or may not follow previous rulings. Some people believe that a disregard for the Dred Scott decision was justified, and some people also believe the Row v Wade decision was a bad decision too, where an individual right was created without any real basis in the Constitution.

Obviously the Supreme Court did not agree with your assessment that the Texas law was criminal in nature, otherwise they would have allowed the stay of that law to remain in force. But they didn't do that, did they? It is after all now a conservative court, and one can easily see how political everything is these days, including the SCOTUS. But the Supreme court in 1973 that issued the Roe v Wade decision was decidedly liberal, and there are many who believed then and now that that decision was politically motivated. In any case, throwing words around concerning criminality is bullshit, just because someone else has a different opinion than yours does not make them a criminal for trying to change a bad law. Politicians do what politicians do, and generally they don't do stuff that their own constituencies don't like, cuz then they get voted out of office. Laws can change when the next Texas legislature is elected and convenes in 2023.

Let me ask you a question: Are you familiar with the Dred Scott decision by the Supreme Court, some 160 years ago? It was a terrible judicial ruling, don't you think? And it was eventually overturned, right? Should we not as a people re-examine previous legal findings such as that one? If so, then who is to say what laws should be challenged and what laws not challenged? The answer to that question in our judicial system is the Supreme court itself, they review cases brought before them and decide which have merit or standing, right? I do not see a blatant disregard for the current law that you do (Roe v Wade), that is in fact what legislatures and Congress is supposed to do, create laws that may or may not follow previous rulings. Some people believe that a disregard for the Dred Scott decision was justified, and some people also believe the Row v Wade decision was a bad decision too, where an individual right was created without any real basis in the Constitution.

Obviously the Supreme Court did not agree with your assessment that the Texas law was criminal in nature, otherwise they would have allowed the stay of that law to remain in force. But they didn't do that, did they? It is after all now a conservative court, and one can easily see how political everything is these days, including the SCOTUS. But the Supreme court in 1973 that issued the Roe v Wade decision was decidedly liberal, and there are many who believed then and now that that decision was politically motivated. In any case, throwing words around concerning criminality is bullshit, just because someone else has a different opinion than yours does not make them a criminal for trying to change a bad law. Politicians do what politicians do, and generally they don't do stuff that their own constituencies don't like, cuz then they get voted out of office. Laws can change when the next Texas legislature is elected and convenes in 2023.

Criminalizing political opinion is the hallmark of a tyranny. Democrats have made this country into a tyranny. It is treason to disagree.

Forum List

Back