Tesla Batteries for your HOME are 6 months away according to Elon Musk

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Tesla is working on a battery that can power your home and even help large-scale utilities store energy more efficiently, according to company chief executive Elon Musk.

On an investor call Wednesday, Musk said the designs for a home or business battery are already complete and will likely be unveiled to the public "in the next month or two." Production could be as little as six months away, he added.

"It's really great. I'm really excited about it," said Musk.

Tesla's battery and charging technology could ultimately wind up saving you money on your electric bill. Although many of today's homes draw energy directly from the electricity grid, the spread of cheap solar panels means it's never been easier to generate some of your own energy. Storing renewables efficiently has been a big bottleneck for consumers and for utilities alike, but if Tesla's stationary battery takes off, it could change the way electricity is priced and traded on a market scale. (For years, it's been many people's dream to sell excess energy back to the grid.)

Eon Musk is the modern day Thomas Edison!!! The guy rules.

Tesla has a nice foundation to build upon, all the broken pieces of the other failed clean energy battery makers. I wonder how much money the Democrats through Harry Reid will pump into this one. Think Department of Energy and lithium grants.

Obama s alternative energy bankruptcies - Oct. 22 2012

A123:
The battery maker received a $249 million Department of Energy stimulus grant to build two factories in Michigan to manufacture batteries for electric cars.

The company drew down $132 million of that grant, and the factories are up and running, according to the DOE.

As part of A123's bankruptcy announced earlier this week, the factories were sold to Johnson Controls (JCI), which is expected to keep them open. Since the investment was a grant, the government got no money back. It's unclear whether Johnson will be eligible to draw down the remaining grant funds.

Ener1:A subsidiary of the company, EnerDel, received an $118.5 million grant to build two plants outside Indianapolis to manufacture batteries for electric cars and other uses.

Ener1 declared bankruptcy in January, and the company was bought by a Russian investor. The plants in Indianapolis continue to make batteries.

Tesla is working on a battery that can power your home and even help large-scale utilities store energy more efficiently, according to company chief executive Elon Musk.

On an investor call Wednesday, Musk said the designs for a home or business battery are already complete and will likely be unveiled to the public "in the next month or two." Production could be as little as six months away, he added.

Tesla's battery and charging technology could ultimately wind up saving you money on your electric bill. Although many of today's homes draw energy directly from the electricity grid, the spread of cheap solar panels means it's never been easier to generate some of your own energy. Storing renewables efficiently has been a big bottleneck for consumers and for utilities alike, but if Tesla's stationary battery takes off, it could change the way electricity is priced and traded on a market scale. (For years, it's been many people's dream to sell excess energy back to the grid.)

Except for the little detail that Thomas Edison didn't receive boatloads of taxpayer loan....

Or how about Harry Reid giving millions to a private mine so they get rich selling lithium to Tesla. Another $30 million. I guess a car company created by the government to make cars for the rich is too big to fail.

They even get a nice geothermal power plant so its even easier to make themselves richer.

Lithium mine expanding in Esmeralda County Las Vegas Review-Journal
Lithium mine expanding in Esmeralda County

WASHINGTON -- The only lithium mine in the nation is expanding in Esmeralda County.
The expansion was made possible partly through a $28.4 million federal stimulus grant from the Department of Energy, the company said. As part of a nurturing of industry to produce advanced transportation batteries, DOE is seeking to expand and upgrade lithium production.

The federal money also will install a geothermal power plant that is expected to make the operation self-sufficient for electricity.

And then there is China, can the U.S. Government and Tesla compete with cheap batteries from China. We know that we can not compete with China when it comes to Solar Panels, how will we compete with batteries, when China has a source of Lithium and ours is a huge maybe.

China Drafts Regulation Requiring Nation 8217 s Lithium-Ion Battery Production To Exceed 100 Million kWh This Year

China Drafts Regulation Requiring Nation’s Lithium-Ion Battery Production To Exceed 100 Million kWh This Year
According to Shanghai Metals Market website:

“China’s Ministry of Industry & Information Technology released the draft regulation for lithium battery industry for public opinion December 12, and said the finalized regulation will take effect next year.”
Within that draft is this statement:

“…capacity of lithium battery project not be lower than 100 million kwh per year.”
Which translates to China will be manufacturing lithium-ion batteries at a capacity of 100 million kWh or more annually starting this year.

And lets not forget about pollution that Tesla has no problem creating in China.

How Tesla Motors Inc 8217 s electric car batteries are adding to China 8217 s pollution woes Financial Post

How Tesla Motors Inc’s electric car batteries are adding to China’s pollution woes

tesla-china-pollution.jpg

For many commercial and industrial sites, this cannot happen soon enough. We get several 'bumps' on the line a year where I work, and sometimes it takes as long as 3 hours to reprogram the PLC's. Not only do we have lost production, but sometimes that results in the downgrading of the steel in the furnaces, if they are an alloy that cannot be rerun. A large, 2 mw battery would eliminate the 'bumps', and, in case of a longer outage, allow us to go down in a planned manner. Think of the stores loss of business when there is an hours long unplanned outage.

And, yes, the ability of the home owner to be totally independent of the grid if they wish to do so would be a real plus.

Relevant to the discussion in what way? Now where is our mod that likes to keep track of such things?
I hurt you so bad, you are looking for mommy? Relevant to the discussion? Like all your posts are relevant? Not only a Crock of Shit, but a Hypocrite, who happens to lack, wit, sorry that you are throwing a fit,

Not sure I understand the concept, are the batteries powering the home as-in it not being hooked up to the regular electric grid any longer?

For many commercial and industrial sites, this cannot happen soon enough. We get several 'bumps' on the line a year where I work, and sometimes it takes as long as 3 hours to reprogram the PLC's. Not only do we have lost production, but sometimes that results in the downgrading of the steel in the furnaces, if they are an alloy that cannot be rerun. A large, 2 mw battery would eliminate the 'bumps', and, in case of a longer outage, allow us to go down in a planned manner. Think of the stores loss of business when there is an hours long unplanned outage.

And, yes, the ability of the home owner to be totally independent of the grid if they wish to do so would be a real plus.

The power needs of a furnace hot enough to melt steel would make that highly unlikely. Just as it would for a machine shop. I could see it working for a business that didnt have such high electricity needs but not for manufacturing.
And how would you recharge these batteries for your home if you were off the grid?
I dont see wind or solar being enough to do it.

An electric furnace does not care where the mega-watts of power it uses comes from. And you would not be using those batteries to run the furnace continually, but, rather, to finish a heat if the power were suddenly interrupted. More important, it would allow industries to power down softly in the case of an extended outage.

If you have a large home battery, say 100 kw/hrs, no problem at all to charge it. First, if you are grid parrallel, then you can charge it off the grid, second, if you have solar of 5 kw, then you probably will have an excess of power each day top the battery off with.

Not sure I understand the concept, are the batteries powering the home as-in it not being hooked up to the regular electric grid any longer?
If you choose to do that, it is possible, but more as a backup in case of a power outage. Even an extended outage, if you had a 100 kw/hr battery would keep the freezer, refrigerator, and stove fan running for quite a few days.

I'll be impressed when I can drive one of his cars to Dallas and back in August, do whatever running around I have to do, run the A/C, the lights after dark, do so at highway speeds, and when the charge runs low, fill back up as quickly as I do at a gas station.

I'll be impressed when I can drive one of his cars to Dallas and back in August, do whatever running around I have to do, run the A/C, the lights after dark, do so at highway speeds, and when the charge runs low, fill back up as quickly as I do at a gas station.

They're supposedly right on the edge of success on the quick charge part. It's building the charging stations every furlong that's challenging the A/C, lights, speeds stuff tho the speed thing, in the circumstance, seems to sort itself out if one moderates the acceleration between stops.

An electric furnace does not care where the mega-watts of power it uses comes from. And you would not be using those batteries to run the furnace continually, but, rather, to finish a heat if the power were suddenly interrupted. More important, it would allow industries to power down softly in the case of an extended outage.

If you have a large home battery, say 100 kw/hrs, no problem at all to charge it. First, if you are grid parrallel, then you can charge it off the grid, second, if you have solar of 5 kw, then you probably will have an excess of power each day top the battery off with.

No fucking way would a battery work in this situation.
That you think a battery is going to enable you to use 12500 kw is total bullshit.
And even if you wanted to use it to "to let it down easy" the cost would be prohibitive. You'd be better served with a generator.
And you said a home could be run "off the grid" again total bullshit.
If that were the case they'd already be using a system like that.

Forum List

Back