Terror-on-the-Rise.

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
US reports sharp rise in 'terror'

The number of people killed in "terrorism" around the world has surged by 40 per cent to more than 20,000 last year, largely because of the war in Iraq, a US report says.

The US state department's annual Country Reports on Terrorism publication also listed Iran and Syria as the worst of what it called "state sponsors of terror".

Global terrorism fatalities rose to 20,498 in 2006 from 14,618 in 2005 with the bulk of last year's deaths - about 13,000 - in Iraq.

There, US-led forces are fighting armed groups, some with ties to al-Qaeda, as well as growing sectarian violence, four years after the US-led invasion.

According to an annex of the state department's report, the number of "terrorist" incidents last year rose to 14,338 from 11,153 in 2005.

Of these, attacks in Iraq nearly doubled to 6,630 from 3,468 in 2005 and represented about 45 per cent of the total.

The report described Iraq as at the centre of the US "war on terror", with US-led forces battling "militias and death squads increasingly engaged in sectarian violence and criminal organisations taking advantage of Iraq

The number of "terror" attacks also jumped to 749 from 491 in Afghanistan, where US, Nato and other forces are fighting a revived Taliban offensive more than five years after US-led forces ousted the Taliban from power.

The figures did not include attacks on US troops in Iraq or Afghanistan........

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/DB3CC4A1-41E2-4FDC-AF98-08F69510FB50.htm

Is the US winning the War on Terror?

I think they went into Iraq with a concious knowledge that it would actually escalate Terrorism.

But thats just me.

I guess Gunny takes exception to something in this article because he thinks it comes from a "less than credible" source.

What specifically in the article do you disagree with Gunny?

How about providing your own link to refute what you disagree with?

Nah, he just feels its just biased "enemy" news.

Forum List

Back