CDZ Term limits

Fugazi

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2015
As I understand it, only the President of the United States is limitted to 2 terms.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on whether this is beneficial or detrimental for the country, or perhaps it doesn't make any difference at all.

Full disclaimer, I am of the opinion that a term limit should apply for all elected positions, as well as appointed ones.

As I understand it, only the President of the United States is limitted to 2 terms.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on whether this is beneficial or detrimental for the country, or perhaps it doesn't make any difference at all.

Full disclaimer, I am of the opinion that a term limit should apply for all elected positions, as well as appointed ones.
Term limits are pablum for mindless voters.

Term limits on the state level have only increased the turnover of professional politicians, thus putting more of them on cushy retirement plans the rest of us could only dream of.

Term limits on the state level have only increased the turnover of professional politicians, thus putting more of them on cushy retirement plans the rest of us could only dream of.

True, but mindless voters are mostly what we have so .....

I would eliminate term limits for the President

Let the people decide when he has had enough

I would eliminate term limits for the President

Let the people decide when he has had enough
The people scared themselves when FDR broke Washington's unwritten two term limit, and they fell for it.

Presidential term limit has worked out ok, and, it was popular when passed.

Term limits for the President...it prevents corruption and monarchies.

As for Congress...NO, NO, NO. How would leadership be chosen? How would committee assignments work without tenure? Does that mean, CA, NY, and TX will get to determine all of the leadership positions and the committee assignments?

QUOTE="Roadrunner, post: 10648934, member: 43730"]

Term limits on the state level have only increased the turnover of professional politicians, thus putting more of them on cushy retirement plans the rest of us could only dream of.[/QUOTE]

That's easy. Term limits and no political pensions. In fact, no public employee pensions at all.
401Ks for all. You get your contribution the moment you earn your paycheck. No unfunded

liabilities to bankrupt states and cities in the future.

I have no problem letting a good person stay in office for as long as they keep getting elected. But, and this is a BIG BUT, I think voters should be able to recall any politician or judge from their position when they make decisions against the public interest. This would be an important check on their power that we don't currently have.

You want term limits? Create and pass an amendment. That means you have to convince a majority in the Congress to cut their own throats. Then you have to convince a majority in 37 States to agree.

We already have term limits – they're called elections.

I'm of the opinion that term limits should be outlawed. Just because nobody has ever elected a Republican to four terms in the Presidency is no reason to implement them. Term limits in fact restrict the right of voters to keep a competent leader in office as long as they see fit to.

One major improvement removing them will accomplish is the end of lame duck term mayhem.

We already have term limits – they're called elections.

Elections are too infrequent to stop policies against the public interest. When bad laws are being made, we cannot afford to wait two, four or six years to kick them out!

Forum List

Back