Tennis Stories

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Another sport I always sucked at. I eventually figured out that any sport using a round ball wasn't for me. One summer I determined to learn the game. My older brother had a friend who was a very accomplished player. He spent a whole summer trying to teach me, but it was not to be.

Tennis is a racquet sport obviously, but it's also a balance sport. I am a pretty good tennis player, B-level, and always liked balance sports like cycling, skiing, water skiing, motorcycle riding, and so on. Maybe you should just learn a few things like grip, forehand stroke, backhand stroke, leading with your shoulder and hitting through using your legs, hips, and body mechanics. Never just with your arm; you'll develop tennis elbow (painful). (The spins, ball toss, serve, and consistency comes later.) Then practice your strokes by hitting against a wall. If tennis still isn't your game, then maybe racquetball could be your sport. Then you use more arm and wrist action. It could be just a grueling as tennis and great exercise. It's somewhat of a balance sport, too. They're not complementary sports, so it's either one or the other. Many people play paddle ball or whatever it's called on a tennis court, too. I don't know much about, but my neighbor was telling me about it. They're all social sports so it's a good way to make new friends and acquaintances.

Tennis is a racquet sport obviously, but it's also a balance sport. I am a pretty good tennis player, B-level, and always liked balance sports like cycling, skiing, water skiing, motorcycle riding, and so on. Maybe you should just learn a few things like grip, forehand stroke, backhand stroke, leading with your shoulder and hitting through using your legs, hips, and body mechanics. Never just with your arm; you'll develop tennis elbow (painful). (The spins, ball toss, serve, and consistency comes later.) Then practice your strokes by hitting against a wall. If tennis still isn't your game, then maybe racquetball could be your sport. Then you use more arm and wrist action. It could be just a grueling as tennis and great exercise. It's somewhat of a balance sport, too. They're not complementary sports, so it's either one or the other. Many people play paddle ball or whatever it's called on a tennis court, too. I don't know much about, but my neighbor was telling me about it. They're all social sports so it's a good way to make new friends and acquaintances.
I figure out long ago what I was good at and what I wasn't.

Here's a great tennis story.

With All of this Covid stuff going on - here is a happy story - VIRAL CLIP OF KIDS PLAYING TENNIS - FROM THEIR BALCONIES AT OPPOSITE SIDES of THE STREET!!!!

This is the story of two Italian kids Carola and Vittoria – 11 and 13 years old.

They are crazy about tennis and in the Italian lock-down they play tennis from their balconies across the street.....

They do a clip and it goes viral with literally millions of hits....watch clip number 1 to see a few seconds of them doing tennis training

Then...play clip 2 - don't miss it - to see what happens next.

When the initial opening clip on link #2 is finished, keep watching and see the behind-the-scene story of how it all happened.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vucGYdMz4&pbjreload=101
2. https://youtu.be/sxJ4Z56mglM - Italian but with English subtitles

Here's a great tennis story.

With All of this Covid stuff going on - here is a happy story - VIRAL CLIP OF KIDS PLAYING TENNIS - FROM THEIR BALCONIES AT OPPOSITE SIDES of THE STREET!!!!

This is the story of two Italian kids Carola and Vittoria – 11 and 13 years old.

They are crazy about tennis and in the Italian lock-down they play tennis from their balconies across the street.....

They do a clip and it goes viral with literally millions of hits....watch clip number 1 to see a few seconds of them doing tennis training

Then...play clip 2 - don't miss it - to see what happens next.

When the initial opening clip on link #2 is finished, keep watching and see the behind-the-scene story of how it all happened.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-vucGYdMz4&pbjreload=101
2. https://youtu.be/sxJ4Z56mglM - Italian but with English subtitles

Wow, that's so creative. Only kids who love tennis could come up with that. And then to meet the greatest tennis player of all time in Roger Federer must've been an unbelievable and wonderful experience. Thank you for those vids :).

I played tennis every Saturday morning with a group of guys for about 30 years. At first it was a group of IRS agents, then gradually they turned over and eventually I was the only one left from the original group. We played exclusively doubles during the cold months, playing indoors, and both singles and doubles in Summer.

Last year I pulled a hamstring and it was taking forever to get better. I sat out for about a month, then decided to "try it out" to see if I could get back on the Saturday morning thing. So I called the oldest, slowest player in our tennis ladder and invited him to play some singles. I thinking was that I wouldn't have to do much running.

But that's not logical, is it? He could be the oldest player in the world, and if he hits it deep on the opposite side of the court I still have to run to get it. So I did. Re-injured my leg and now, more than a year later It is obvious that it will never be "right." All I can do now is do drills and imagine that if I could only run I could get back into it. But a slow jog just won't work on the tennis court.

Tennis is one of the best "lifetime" sports. You can always improve, and if you look hard enough you can always find someone to play who is competitive with your skill level. My only regret is that I learned to play before the topspin era.

I played tennis every Saturday morning with a group of guys for about 30 years. At first it was a group of IRS agents, then gradually they turned over and eventually I was the only one left from the original group. We played exclusively doubles during the cold months, playing indoors, and both singles and doubles in Summer.

Last year I pulled a hamstring and it was taking forever to get better. I sat out for about a month, then decided to "try it out" to see if I could get back on the Saturday morning thing. So I called the oldest, slowest player in our tennis ladder and invited him to play some singles. I thinking was that I wouldn't have to do much running.

But that's not logical, is it? He could be the oldest player in the world, and if he hits it deep on the opposite side of the court I still have to run to get it. So I did. Re-injured my leg and now, more than a year later It is obvious that it will never be "right." All I can do now is do drills and imagine that if I could only run I could get back into it. But a slow jog just won't work on the tennis court.

Tennis is one of the best "lifetime" sports. You can always improve, and if you look hard enough you can always find someone to play who is competitive with your skill level. My only regret is that I learned to play before the topspin era.
When I was in college, I had a course in tennis. Of course, the purpose of the course was for the athletic staff to recognize which students might be worthy of recruiting to join the official tennis team and compete with other college teams.

My apartment manager, at the time in his early 60s, was an avid tennis player and since there was a public court within walking distance of our complex, he played daily. It was part of his exercise routine. He had one favorite 'sparring partner' who looked to be older that would meet him at the court occasionally for sessions. I went several times to watch them play.

They would first warm up by pounding low-flying volleys that barely cleared the net back and forth as each of them stayed pretty much in spots near the center line of the court far from the net. They would move only slightly from center line to maintain use of their forehand stroke.

Then they would play 6 games. The older gentleman typically won every time they played...on one occasion 6-0 but generally 4-2 or 5-1. He would make his opponent run back and forth in all directions. It was like rope-a-dope in boxing. Wear your opponent out and you may likely win the game.

Every time I played against my apartment manager, this is what he did to me.

That's generally what happened when I played a "good" player. They ended up standing in the center, a couple feet in front of the baseline, while I chased balls around the court. Still, it was fun....in a masochistic way.

That's generally what happened when I played a "good" player. They ended up standing in the center, a couple feet in front of the baseline, while I chased balls around the court. Still, it was fun....in a masochistic way.
It's also great exercise.

However, it is asymmetrical. I dated a girl whose favorite activity was playing tennis. Her right breast was at least a cup size larger than the left one.

Another sport I always sucked at. I eventually figured out that any sport using a round ball wasn't for me. One summer I determined to learn the game. My older brother had a friend who was a very accomplished player. He spent a whole summer trying to teach me, but it was not to be.
Tennis is my best sport
You cannot do anything right if you don’t have the correct grips !!!
Volleys and serve - continental grip
Forehand - Eastern or western Grip . Western most popular
Backhand - ( if right handed ) right hand is continental and left hand eastern
Backhand slice - continental

Yes ..you move up into and past baseline as soon as you take control of point

I played 4.5 singles

I totally sucked balls at baseball and basketball!!

It's funny to see how people rate themselves. The descriptions on the different levels are fairly straightforward, but you could take ten players who all rate themselves as a 3.5 and the range of skill levels can be shocking. People don't seem to understand that there is NO BENEFIT to rate yourself higher than reality. You will get your butt kicked.

I played 4.5 singles

I totally sucked balls at baseball and basketball!!

4.5 singles is very, very, very good for a tennis player. Probably, at the top of my game, it was around there. I had trouble with 4.5+ players who had great top spins, e.g. makes ball look like an egg, and back spin approach to the net. They were just too consistent.

It's funny to see how people rate themselves. The descriptions on the different levels are fairly straightforward, but you could take ten players who all rate themselves as a 3.5 and the range of skill levels can be shocking. People don't seem to understand that there is NO BENEFIT to rate yourself higher than reality. You will get your butt kicked.
I played in 4 and 4.5 leagues and tournaments

Forum List

Back