Tennessee wants to make Sharia law a felony!

Feb 18, 2011
:clap2: Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Tennessee Law Will Make Practicing Sharia Law a Felony :clap2:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Two Republican state lawmakers are trying to make it illegal to practice Shariah law in Tennessee.

Sen. Bill Ketron said his bill aims to “curb homegrown terrorism,” while those of the Islamic faith say Shariah law doesn’t teach people to be terrorists.

Islam and the building of mosques like the one in Antioch have gotten a lot of attention over the past few months, but now the attention is on this proposed bill would make practicing Shariah law a felony.

“It’s in the news every week that someone is calling jihad,” Ketron said. “We have to step forward and try to pass some type of legislation.”

Ketron said his proposed bill has nothing to do with the building of the mosque in Murfreesboro that received national attention and much opposition from neighbors. But it is, he said, about protecting Tennesseans from radical extremists.

“It gives law enforcement officers in our state, if they find the material support of two or more people working together to create terrorism, then we have a right to charge them with a felony,” Ketron said.

He said the bill deals solely with those who practice the political part of Shariah law.

bannedthepassionofthewilders.jpg

Don't see how it would be constitutional.

We punish people for actions (or should), not what they choose to believe.

They can believe in Sharia all they want. But when the practice of it breaks an existing law THEN it should be a criminal offense. Not before. And then it would fall under existing laws anyway....so there is no need for this one.

I'm confused, what parts of sharia law don't jibe with our laws? Killing, stealing, and fraud, along with all the variations, are crimes in both aren't they? We use leathal injection, and the electric chair, and they use stoninng and beheading. If these people want to practice sharia law amongst themselves, and as long as it doesn't break any local, federal, or state law, just what exactly is the problem? We must live up to the ideals we set for ourselves by choosing to be American citizens.

• Banned
I'm confused, what parts of sharia law don't jibe with our laws? Killing, stealing, and fraud, along with all the variations, are crimes in both aren't they? We use leathal injection, and the electric chair, and they use stoninng and beheading. If these people want to practice sharia law amongst themselves, and as long as it doesn't break any local, federal, or state law, just what exactly is the problem? We must live up to the ideals we set for ourselves by choosing to be American citizens.

It would be best if we didn't allow fathers to behead their daughters because they want to buy a pair of blue jeans... or chop their sons hand of because he whacking his wiener.

It's bad enough we allow Muslims and their death colt religion in America we sure the hell don't need their laws here too!

Don't see how it would be constitutional.

We punish people for actions (or should), not what they choose to believe.

They can believe in Sharia all they want. But when the practice of it breaks an existing law THEN it should be a criminal offense. Not before. And then it would fall under existing laws anyway....so there is no need for this one.

Yep. I don't see this kind of bill being upheld in the courts, if it even get enacted into law first... if it even makes it out of committee. Just more vote pandering, imao.

Vigilante justice is already illegal.

edit: Therefore anybody who enforces Sharia law is already breaking our law by taking the law into their own hands.

REMEMBER

All Muslims want us dead so they can take our land and turn it into one big gay bath house!

edit: Therefore anybody who enforces Sharia law is already breaking our law by taking the law into their own hands.

In our society it would be religious arbitration, like the Beth Din. Not everything about Sharia is stoning and dismemberment, which is I think the general perception of it. Arbitration done outside of but still subject to our courts system happens all the time, so I think applying the term vigilante justice is misleading.

Sharia would be like Judge Judy, but with less cameras and more turbans. Can Judge Judy tell the plantiff he has to get his hand chopped off because he stole the cinderblocks from under his ex-girlfriend's trailer? I don't think that would fly.

So I can't pray, give alms, fast during Ramadhan, or go on hajj to Makkah? All of that is Shari'ah. What about the things that US law and Shari'ah share? Will I be allowed to steal?

Texas wants to make gays "felons". It's in the Republican Texas State Party Platform.

So I can't pray, give alms, fast during Ramadhan, or go on hajj to Makkah? All of that is Shari'ah. What about the things that US law and Shari'ah share? Will I be allowed to steal?

It has no impact on your freedom to practice your religion, Kalam. Your right to practice your religion is enshrined in our Constitution. All this means is that Sharia law cannot be implemented in the state. No biggie.... unless you plan an Islamic United States at some point.... and that would be against the Constitution too. You see, the Constitution frees you, and protects you. Cool, huh?

It has no impact on your freedom to practice your religion, Kalam.
It criminalizes "the practice of Shari'ah." All of the things I listed are "the practice of Shari'ah."

Your right to practice your religion is enshrined in our Constitution.
Then it would appear that this proposal is unconstitutional.

All this means is that Sharia law cannot be implemented in the state. No biggie.... unless you plan an Islamic United States at some point.... and that would be against the Constitution too.
So you don't believe that the principles enshrined in your own constitution are sufficient to preclude the establishment of an "Islamic United States."

Clearly, you believe that the establishment of an "Islamic United States" is a distinct possibility. Otherwise you'd recognize this legislation as a pointless distraction from pressing issues.

In our society it would be religious arbitration, like the Beth Din. Not everything about Sharia is stoning and dismemberment, which is I think the general perception of it. Arbitration done outside of but still subject to our courts system happens all the time, so I think applying the term vigilante justice is misleading.

Sharia would be like Judge Judy, but with less cameras and more turbans. Can Judge Judy tell the plantiff he has to get his hand chopped off because he stole the cinderblocks from under his ex-girlfriend's trailer? I don't think that would fly.

Exactly. And it's not like we don't have similar religious bits in existing law (Kosher, covenant marriages).

Forum List

Back