Tennessee moves to allow guns on public property

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Occasionally a ray of light shines through the dark clouds. Sounds like more and more people are starting to realize that the laws forbidding responsible, law-abiding people from carrying weapons at Virgina Tech, resulted in more harm than good.

The people who wrote the Constitution (and the 2nd amendment) knew that more than 200 years ago. Too bad it took so long, and so many wasted lives, for their descendents to learn the same truth. Some still don't get it, and can be expected to scream as usual, even as the bodies continue to pile up. But at least their numbers are diminishing.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5491437,00.html

TN moves to allow guns in public buildings

By News Sentinel staff
April 18, 2007

NASHVILLE — In a surprise move, a House panel voted today to repeal a state law that forbids the carrying of handguns on property and buildings owned by state, county and city governments — including parks and playgrounds.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster — or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it — has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," said Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."

Read the full story in Thursday’s News Sentinel.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants…” — Thomas Jefferson in “Commonplace Book,” 1774-1776

It made sense back then - and it still makes sense now.

It didn't say anything about COLLEGE CAMPUSes though. It would be fun actually to watch SHOUTING MATCHES/FIST FIGHTS turn into GUN FIGHTS.

Gun Control? 82-Year-Old Former Miss America Stops Intruder With .38 Snub-nose
Posted by Noel Sheppard on April 23, 2007 - 00:37.
You can’t make this stuff up, folks!

As most NewsBusters readers are aware, the media have been foaming at the mouth this week for Congress to advance stronger gun control laws in the wake of the tragedy at Virginia Tech.

As a result, this absolutely delightful feel-good story about an 82-year-old former Miss America that defended her farm in Kentucky with a lil ol’ .38 caliber handgun is sure to be ignored by a media more interested in advancing an agenda than doing their job as disseminators of information.

As marvelously reported by the Associated Press Saturday (h/t NB reader Sherrie Z):

Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder.

Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Amazing. The article wonderfully concluded:

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Brava, Venus. Brava!

http://newsbusters.org/node/12229

Forum List

Back