Tennessee governor signs laws banning gender-affirming care for minors and restricting drag shows

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Tennessee's Republican Gov. Bill Lee on Thursday signed legislation banning minors from receiving gender-affirming care despite threats from civil rights organizations that vowed to sue if and when the bill becomes law.

Lee also signed another law restricting drag shows from taking place in public or in front of children.

Tennessee governor signs laws banning gender-affirming care for minors and restricting drag shows

It’s a good start. It’s time to attack evil and hit it in the mouth....Hit the ones that support it twice as hard.

Tennessee's Republican Gov. Bill Lee on Thursday signed legislation banning minors from receiving gender-affirming care despite threats from civil rights organizations that vowed to sue if and when the bill becomes law.

Lee also signed another law restricting drag shows from taking place in public or in front of children.

It’s a good start. It’s time to attack evil and hit it in the mouth....Hit the ones that support it twice as hard.

I fully support this law.

This link in your link is very informative. I had no idea on at least half of this stuff...

Treating Gender dysphoria is much more complicated than I imagined

I have to say, I disagree with Abbott on this:

Governor Greg Abbott ordered the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services to investigate any reported instances of children undergoing "abusive" gender-transitioning procedures. The announcement comes days after the state's attorney general said that state law characterizes the procedures as child abuse.

"To protect Texas children from abuse, DFPS and all other state agencies must follow the law," Abbott said in a letter sent to DFPS on Tuesday.

Under the directive, licensed professionals will be required to report "children who may be subject to such abuse." Such procedures include "reassignment surgeries that can cause sterilization, mastectomies, removals of otherwise healthy body parts, and administration of puberty-blocking drugs or supraphysiologic doses of testosterone or estrogen," the governor said.

All licensed professionals in the state who directly interact with children, including teachers and doctors, could face criminal penalties for not reporting the procedures, Abbott noted in his letter. The general public could also be subject to penalties for failing to make reports.

I'm skeptical of the over-reporting of child abuse in general. Parents should be "reported" when there is reason to believe the parent has committed a crime against their child. They should not be investigated because another adult disagrees with the way they are raising their child.

This is a perfect example. In other states, professionals might be told to report parents who do not provide hormones to their children who claim to be transgender. If Abbott is correct that these families are violating criminal statutes by providing so-called "gender confirming care," then let the prosecutors get indictments. Getting CPS involved rarely helps kids or families and often leads to tragidies for the children.

The law needs to be clear on what is and is not allowed or required for transgender children. Let those who advocate the medicalization and surgicalization of children's normal confusion about gender explain why.

Forum List

Back