Tenderizing Steaks

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
My wax paper idea to pull moisture out of freshly sliced exposed portion of onions to perserve it longer also works with other food needs.
In pulling moisture out of steaks it tenderizes them, which is why salt is used, it obsorbs that moisture.
So here is my process for 1/2 day
tenderizing. 1)pound the steak
2)Salt
3)wrap the steak in wax paper.
4)pound the steak again with your fist.
5)wrap back with celephane and absorbtion pad from the steak's styrophome packaging.
6)Replace the wax paper 0nce in the afternoon and notice it's dampness.
7)when ready to cook you'll notice the new wax paper will also be damp again, this means you removed a lot of moisture=tenderized the steak in a short period of time without over salting.
Now to counter balance the salt you can
add about half a teaspoon brown sugar and rub it in the steak both sides.
Then add garlic and onion powder, dash of pepper. Place in buttered hot pan to sear.
Turn over and place more butter both sides, dash of liquid smoke, small nickle size squirt of your favorite barbeque sauce (Baby Rays works nice), same size Ketchup, and dime size amount of hoison sauce.
Let the sauce char a good crust to the steak, and when done let sit a few minutes (allows the fibers to relax gettong even more tender.)

Using this method you can cook a Chuck steak as tender as a NY strip and a NY strip as tender as a Filet Mignon.
I have made Round Roast steaks that were as tender as plank steaks using this method.
I like using those glass pans because the char grille cakes up and is created better, although cleanup requires skillo pads afterwards.

I was with ya till you started ruining it with seasoning and stuff lol

The way I understand it the salt is absorbed by the meat and holds in the moisture for a juicier end product. It does tenderize also.

amazingribs.com

Here's how I do my steaks when I've got the time.

amazingribs.com

I do filets differently, but other cuts- NY, ribeyes whatever, go this route.

Fueri,
Off topic,
Is that a caption of Richard Mulligan
from the TV series Soap ?
Have you seen his American version of Reginald Perrin?

Fueri,
Off topic,
Is that a caption of Richard Mulligan
from the TV series Soap ?
Have you seen his American version of Reginald Perrin?

Yep, it's Burt. Because this is how I see our politicians and their actions. Burt would in plain site claim to make himself invisible and argue with anyone that claimed to see he wasn't.

Politicians do the same. Overtly suck money from special interests and screw the electorate, then claim the cash and influence peddling has nothing to do with anything.

I'm invisible. No you're not. Yes I am. No you're not. Yes I am.

The money doesn't impact policy. Yes it does. No it doesn't. Yes it does. No it doesn't.

It doesn't make it less juicy.
The best restaurants use dry lockers to dry age the steaks, some even use salt blocks.
What this does is help beak down the fat attached to the fibers, so they become gelatinas thus a steak soft like butter is that broken down fat which becomes like marshmellow topping like consistency.

Steaks tenderize when the fibers decompose. I don't believe salt tenderizes. It acts as a.preservative. Aged meat hung in lockers is not salted. The longer it hangs, the more tender because the enzymes in the meat dissolve the meat fibers. Pounding meat breaks the fibers. The bestnway to tenderize any meat.is to put it in a clean fridge.or cold room and.forget about it.

Forum List

Back