Tender is the Night movie

I know I have seen it, but it has been so long since, I recall very little about it. It was one of those films we had to watch when in film class. Well technically it was on a list of films we had to choose from and watch a certain number from the list.

I too saw this but it has been so long ago, I really can't remember it. Since it's available to watch for free now, I will give it another try and then render my opinion. However, I'm really not expecting much. Most adaptions of F. Scott Fitzgerald novels have turned into romantic melodrama at best. His novels have proved to be very difficult to bring to the screen. I think this is because, he uses such vivid imagery and metaphors, painting images of his characters which he often describes differently through the eyes others. He even changes his sentence structure and style to match characters and there are always subtexts. How do you bring this to the screen? Well you don't. Look at Gatsby, his most celebrated work. It has been brought to screen 4 times beginning in 1926 and most recently in 2013, to the Broadway stage twice, and even a TV miniseries, all with varying degrees of success. This is not to say that all adaptions of Fitzgerald novels are bad. Some of them are pretty good, but I have never seen one that has come close to the quality of Fitzgerald's novels.

Last edited:
Saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good. Someday Hollywood will make a Fitzgerald novel that audiences and critics will love. This is not the one. Although the acting is good, particular Jones and Robards, the plot is paper think. For 2 1/2 hours we watch the rich and not so famous drift from bottle to bottle and party to party as the marriage of Nick and Nicole slowly falls apart. The wonderful characterization and prose of the Fitzgerald novels is not there to hold our interest. The music was very good and Tom Ewell as a Broadway composer who has lost his muse in alcohol has a good role and is excellent in it. We are also are treated to the beauty of Jennifer Jones who at the age of 43 makes Jill St. John who is half her age look rather dowdy.

A lot of the personal lives of both the leads went into the roles of Nicole and Dick Diver. Jennifer Jones saw enough tragedy in her life for about five people and saw the inside of mental institutions a number of times. And Jason Robards love of the bottle was also well known.

The barest hint of the cause of Nicole's illness was made because talk of incest was still a big taboo when this movie was made. Today, Hollywood would probably make it a major part of the film.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back