Ten nurses suspended after refusing to care for Covid-19 patients without masks

SOMEONE in authority decided that the risk of treating THESE patients without an N95 mask was tolerable. No one posting here has superior knowledge of the situation. It is likely that the PATIENTS were wearing masks, and that the nurses in question could have had GENERIC masks (not N95), thus minimizing any danger.

EVERYONE who goes through the process of entering into a medical profession assumes the risk that, from time to time, they will be exposed - wittingly or otherwise - to infectious diseases. It goes with the territory.

For such a person to say, "I refuse, because I might be infected," is bullshit. Fire them. It is equivalent to someone joining the Marines and then refusing to go any place where there is a chance of being shot at.

Yeah. How about you'll be treated next by the nurses infected by coronavirus, all ten of them, because they were forced to work without proper protective equipment? Deal?

I really cannot recall ever meeting anyone as defective and repugnant as this one.

I can imagine what the officer gets after trying to send a bunch of marines into combat without their rifles. And he deserves every bit of it. Just as anyone who thinks of nurses as expendable deserves whatever fate assigns to him.

"I can imagine what the officer gets after trying to send a bunch of marines into combat without their rifles."

They usually get an award and a promotion, while the grunts who object get court-martialed.

Ask me how I know this.

Making nurses treat patients with a highly contagious and deadly disease without proper PPE is like forcing a cop to go into a drug house without a gun.

A group of ten nurses have been suspended by the hospital where they work because they refused to care for coronavirus without being given N95 masks.

The nurses at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California reportedly banded together in protest after administrators at the hospital said N95 masks – which are known to help protect against coronavirus infection – were not necessary and did not provide them.

One of the nurses, Mike Gulick, said he had been careful not to bring coronavirus home to his wife and two-year-old daughter. He stopped by a hotel after work just to take a shower before arriving home. He washed his clothes in disinfectant and washed his hands religiously – then a nurse in Gulick’s ward tested positive for Covid-19.

What an awful situation to be in. I am in sympathy with the nurses. They are not paid to risk their own lives or that of their family.
Have you turned in any innocent old ladies recently?

SOMEONE in authority decided that the risk of treating THESE patients without an N95 mask was tolerable. No one posting here has superior knowledge of the situation. It is likely that the PATIENTS were wearing masks, and that the nurses in question could have had GENERIC masks (not N95), thus minimizing any danger.

EVERYONE who goes through the process of entering into a medical profession assumes the risk that, from time to time, they will be exposed - wittingly or otherwise - to infectious diseases. It goes with the territory.

For such a person to say, "I refuse, because I might be infected," is bullshit. Fire them. It is equivalent to someone joining the Marines and then refusing to go any place where there is a chance of being shot at.
I have been married to a nurse for 25 years. Provision of protective equipment is just common sense and protects everybody. Your analogy is a load of bollocks, nobody takes up nursing to put their family at risk.

A group of ten nurses have been suspended by the hospital where they work because they refused to care for coronavirus without being given N95 masks.

The nurses at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California reportedly banded together in protest after administrators at the hospital said N95 masks – which are known to help protect against coronavirus infection – were not necessary and did not provide them.

One of the nurses, Mike Gulick, said he had been careful not to bring coronavirus home to his wife and two-year-old daughter. He stopped by a hotel after work just to take a shower before arriving home. He washed his clothes in disinfectant and washed his hands religiously – then a nurse in Gulick’s ward tested positive for Covid-19.

What an awful situation to be in. I am in sympathy with the nurses. They are not paid to risk their own lives or that of their family.
That is what they signed up for when they became nurses. All of this back patting of these jobs where an oath has been taken. People are getting paid off now. If things get bad enough and hunger, fear, violence and revolutionary tendencies appear then the ones who remain will be worth saluting.

I resign and look for,work at a place that cares about the people they hire and the people they take care of.

I resign and look for,work at a place that cares about the people they hire and the people they take care of.
A lot of them are; the ER I work at just lost 2 traveling nurses (an engaged couple) because they decided it was too dangerous. They canceled the remainder of their contract.
Interestingly enough, it wasn't because of the pandemic, it was because of the violence in the ER; there is a reason they contracted for guys like me to provide security there. The regular security guards couldn't handle it.

Gonna miss them.... they were cool people. (And she had a great ass. ;) )

That is what they signed up for when they became nurses. All of this back patting of these jobs where an oath has been taken. People are getting paid off now. If things get bad enough and hunger, fear, violence and revolutionary tendencies appear then the ones who remain will be worth saluting.
An employee has the right to expect to have the equipment to do the job. Its part of the employer obligations in any contract. When you join the world of work you will appreciate that.

1431191807072.png

Forum List

Back