Temperature and Heat are Not the Same Thing?

Unnecessarily wordy. Temperature is the measure of heat or the numerical representation of heat.

Unnecessarily wordy. Temperature is the measure of heat or the numerical representation of heat.
I assume you mean the OP's discussion of temperature. It would be nice if you'd used the Reply button so we could tell to what post you were referring.

I took the opportunity to try to make certain everyone understood the differences between F, C K and R. I wanted to discuss how any thermodynamic calculation will use one of the absolute scales. That, for instance, an temperature increase from, say 52C to 53C, thermodynamically, has to be treated as an increase from 325.15K to 326.15K

Last edited:
I assume you mean the OP's discussion of temperature. It would be nice if you'd used the Reply button so we could tell to what post you were referring.

I took the opportunity to try to make certain everyone understood the differences between F, C K and R. I wanted to discuss how any thermodynamic calculation will use one of the absolute scales. That, for instance, an temperature increase from, say 52C to 53C, thermodynamically, has to be treated as an increase from 325.15K to 326.15K
so when it's 52C it's 126F. Where is that reading found? You can't be thinking the globe is 52C? haahahahaahahaahahahahahaha

On a thermometer.

No. It was an illustrative hypothetical.
why? Is it truly your belief that the global temperature will reach 52C with ice at both poles? You really are insane dude.

why? Is it truly your belief that the global temperature will reach 52C with ice at both poles? You really are insane dude.
The number was selected at random only to show the difference between Celsius and Kelvin. Can you cope with that?

The number was selected at random only to show the difference between Celsius and Kelvin. Can you cope with that?
I’ll disagree, you chose that number as representative of catastrophic conditions.

That’s your schtick

I’ll disagree, you chose that number as representative of catastrophic conditions.

That’s your schtick
So, not only are you smarter than ten thousand PhD climate scientists from all over the planet, you can read minds. You must be the second coming of Jesus.

So, not only are you smarter than ten thousand PhD climate scientists from all over the planet, you can read minds. You must be the second coming of Jesus.
I followed your patterns. You talk about catastrophic events quite often

View attachment 766643
View attachment 766644

These are both from Dictionary.com, though the initial definition provided for HEAT had no scientific entries. Scrolling down got me the scientific British definition provided.

For the purposes of this forum and this thread, we're comparing def #1 against def #1.

Temperature is an arbitrary scale used to quantify an instantaneous thermodynamic characteristic of matter and is expressed as a numeric value from any of several arbitrary scales: Fahrenheit, Celsius (aka Centigrade), Rankine (aka Rankin) and Kelvin (both aka Absolute)

The Fahrenheit scale was developed by physicist Daniel Farhrenheit. On it, zero is assigned to the lowest temperature that could be created at that time (1764), which was accomplished with a brine solution of water, ice and ammonium chloride. An upper value of 90 degrees was originally assigned to what Fahreheit believed to be the average temperature of a healthy human body. This was later changed to 96 degrees and finally, after the freezing and boiling points of water at 1 atm pressure were assigned to 32 and 212 degrees respectively, settled at 98.6 as used today. On all these scales, the assignment of two different values determines the 'size' of a unit degree.

Celsius, also know as Centigrade, was developed by Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius in 1742. It was originally called Centigrade, but in 1942 was officially renamed Celsius to honor the astronomer. It is one of the two scales used in the SI (Metric) system. On this scale, 0 is assigned to the freezing point of water and 100 is assigned to the boiling point of water. The Celsius degree is 9/5ths or 1.8 times the size of the Fahrenheit degree. The well known conversions between Fahrenheit and Celsius are F = C * (9 / 5) + 32 or C = (F - 32) * (5 / 9).

Finally, there are two absolute scales widely used in thermodynamics: the Kelvin scale and the Rankin scale. Both assign zero to Absolute Zero. Kelvin uses a degree sized identically to a Celsius degree while Rankin uses the Fahrenheit degree. The conversion from Celsius to Kelvin is C = K + 273.15. The conversion from Rankin to Fahrenheit is F = R - 459.67 . To convert between Rankin and Kelvin, one only requires the proportionality: R = K * (9 / 5) and K = R * (5 /9).

I have to run some errands so I will discuss heat in a second post when I return this evening. Feel free to kvetch amongst yourelves.
While we're on the subject, can we also agree that an "anomaly" is not a temperature?

Pointless thread. Temperature is a measuring scale of heat. They're not the same thing. No kidding. You just learn this Crick? It would expain alot.
This is something that was covered in our middle school science class. Temperature is NOT a measurement of heat. Heat is the total energy of the mass and temperature is the average molecular kinetic energy at the point of measurement. There is a lot more heat in an ice berg then there is in a lit candle while the temp in the candle is higher than that of the ice berg.

Pointless thread. Temperature is a measuring scale of heat. They're not the same thing. No kidding. You just learn this Crick? It would expain alot.
I am a retired, degreed engineer. I did not just learn this. There was a previous thread titled "Temperature and heat the same thing?" from which I was blocked for interference. I started this one and if you had read the two OPs, you would have found detailed explanations of heat and temperature. It is a pointless thread, as is its predecessor. The posts of mine you chose to criticize were both tongue-and-cheek satire aimed at other posters. The comments about 27 degrees originated in a post asking how Chicago could be 28 degrees with global warming going on. I responded that GW was why it wasn't 27. It went downhill from there.

I am a retired, degreed engineer. I did not just learn this. There was a previous thread titled "Temperature and heat the same thing?" from which I was blocked for interference. I started this one and if you had read the two OPs, you would have found detailed explanations of heat and temperature. It is a pointless thread, as is its predecessor. The posts of mine you chose to criticize were both tongue-and-cheek satire aimed at other posters. The comments about 27 degrees originated in a post asking how Chicago could be 28 degrees with global warming going on. I responded that GW was why it wasn't 27. It went downhill from there.
I call bullshit on that write up. I asked why was chicago still at 27 degrees with 12 hours of sunlight. 12 hours of sunlight implies quite a lot of increased engergy and yet, still 27 while Florida is at 80 degrees. Similar hours of sunlight. How can that be at all possible with your nonsense?

I call bullshit on that write up. I asked why was chicago still at 27 degrees with 12 hours of sunlight. 12 hours of sunlight implies quite a lot of increased engergy and yet, still 27 while Florida is at 80 degrees. Similar hours of sunlight. How can that be at all possible with your nonsense?
I'm afraid you are incorrect. Here is what you wrote in post #24 of the "Evidence for Global Warming " thread

If CO2 is so powerful, why is it only 28 in Chicago in March under full sunshine?
To which I replied that without CO2 it would be 27. Just as I related in the write-up on which you say you want to call "bullshit".

I'm afraid you are incorrect. Here is what you wrote in post #24 of the "Evidence for Global Warming " thread

To which I replied that without CO2 it would be 27. Just as I related in the write-up on which you say you want to call "bullshit".
pinching pennies there huh? too funny. What was my next response after that? Guess we'll wash rinse and repeat now.

pinching pennies there huh? too funny. What was my next response after that? Guess we'll wash rinse and repeat now.
How about if you try to do a better job at remembering what you yourself have said, particularly before accusing me of lying about it.

Forum List

Back