Ted Cruz - Natural Born Citizen? Revival thread

veraderock

Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2010
Ok, so I know this has been covered a number of times already, however I haven't seen the following link posted which to me seems to spell it out..

Are you the foreign-born child of a parent who becomes a U.S. citizen?

This is how the US government defines citizens from birth vs citizens based on application after birth. To me, this is essentially "natural born citizen" vs "allowed citizen via application after birth". This is specific to americans born outside of the US which applies in Cruz's case, as opposed to obvious natural born citizens born within the United States.

From this page, if his parents were _not_ married he's good to go, but if his parents _were_ married when he was born then he probably wouldn't qualify..

Thoughts?

Growing up they always taught in school that you had to be born here .

The question is , who has standing and where to bring the claim . I'd think it would be in any state prior to a primary .

Ok, so I know this has been covered a number of times already, however I haven't seen the following link posted which to me seems to spell it out..

Are you the foreign-born child of a parent who becomes a U.S. citizen?

This is how the US government defines citizens from birth vs citizens based on application after birth. To me, this is essentially "natural born citizen" vs "allowed citizen via application after birth". This is specific to americans born outside of the US which applies in Cruz's case, as opposed to obvious natural born citizens born within the United States.

From this page, if his parents were _not_ married he's good to go, but if his parents _were_ married when he was born then he probably wouldn't qualify..

Thoughts?

His mother wasn't foreign born.

The way I read this is that Cruz would NOT be an American citizen at birth, regardless of if his parents were married at the time of his birth.

"In a general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child’s Parents Are Married to each other at the Time of Birth IF...
One parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth and the birthdate is on or after November 14, 1986."

Meaning that if the child was born BEFORE 1986, they would NOT be a citizen.

"In general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child’s Parents Are NOT Married to each other at the Time of Birth...IF
The genetic father is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth, the mother is an alien, and the birthdate is on or after November 14, 1986."

Cruz was born in 1970.

Cruz's FATHER is Cuban, his mother is American. So this would apply:

"In general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child’s Parents Are NOT Married to each other at the Time of Birth...IF
The genetic or non-genetic gestational legal mother is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth, and the birth date is after December 23, 1952."

So if his parents were not married, he'd be a legal US citizen at birth.

OH boy....this again.

I was born in Burtonwood (Lancashire) England to American parents serving abroad. Am I an American?

OH boy....this again.

I was born in Burtonwood (Lancashire) England to American parents serving abroad. Am I an American?
If both your parents are American and you're born outside of America, and they were married at the time, you're still American.

"In a general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child’s Parents Are Married to each other at the Time of Birth IF...
Both parents are U.S. citizens at the time of birth, AND At least one parent lived in the U.S. or its territories prior to the birth."

It gets more confusing if your parents were not married. And would depend on the year in which you were born.

OH boy....this again.

If both your parents are American and you're born outside of America, and they were married at the time, you're still American.

Both parents are U.S. citizens at the time of birth, AND At least one parent lived in the U.S. or its territories prior to the birth."

It gets more confusing if your parents were not married. And would depend on the year in which you were born.

There are different laws for service men and women too I believe.

Trump is going to tie Cruz up in court , now that Cruz won Iowa
Nonsense. Iowa is meaningless at this point. Cruz won't make it out of Iowa. Rubio is now the serious threat.

Well that makes me feel better, I want Cruz out. So I hope you are right.
He may get the Evangelical vote in SC though...and find another sneaky way to send out his mailers on the ground.

OH boy....this again.

There are different laws for service men and women too I believe.

Exactly. The laws for being abroad are different as well. Cruz is American. However, I get it. The right disparaged Obama for years. I suppose a tit-for-tat is in order.

Cruz is eligible to run for presidency.

His mother was an American born citizen, making Cruz eligible.

End of story. Maybe not. The left is doing some payback.

Forum List

Back